Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Not sure if you guys heard me and Hines discussing this in our driving back from Milwaukee podcast but I got some interesting reaction to it.

Who is the greatest Cyclone ever? Our criteria was "impact made on Iowa State program."

I say Niang, mainly because of what he was able to do for the brand through social media, his personality, etc.

I think you have to go Fred if you can combine playing days with what he did as a coach - that's some gray area.

Best player ever? It's Fizer for me, but I wasn't around for the Grayer years.

Fascinating conversation. What do you guys think?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
there is no right answer for a few reasons. first, we tend to put more weight on players when we were growing up. they are in a mystical world because we looked up to them differently than we see players when we are adults. morris, to me, is the greatest player, while niang is the greatest cyclone for reasons you mentioned.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Best Cyclone ever (with all it entails) is probably either Niang or Hoiberg. Niang probably gets the nod for me with social media being a factor in his time here and how he touted ISU at every opportunity.

Overall impact on the program is probably Fred, given that he was heavily recruited and stayed home and then came back to resurrect the program from the ashes of the McDermott nuclear winter.

Best player ever for me is Grayer. I was in my Cyclone fan infancy when he was in school but that guy was a freaking stud. In addition to the #'s he put up, you have to remember the defense he played. I think he was all defensive team in the Big 8 all four years. All american, Olympian and first round draft pick whose career was cut short by injury. Who knows what he could have done in the NBA with today's medicine to rehab that knee.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My "Mount Rushmore" of ISU Basketball is:

Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Georges Niang and Monte Morris.

I think you could make a case for any of the 4 as the greatest, or the biggest impact, but Fred's still #1 in my book.

I LOVE the idea of a Cyclone Mt. Rushmore. And your choices are spot on!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Best player ever? It's Fizer for me, but I wasn't around for the Grayer years.

Fascinating conversation. What do you guys think?

I completely agree, Chris. That 99-00 squad was picked in the preseason to finish 6th in the Big 12 conference - the ended up being ranked 6th in the country.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have to go with Fizer. Back-to-back conference titles, one conference tournament title, an Elite Eight appearance that could have been Final Four run or better.

Honorable Mention to Johnny Orr. He built Hilton Magic and put ISU on the map.

But Fizer was only on one of those title teams...Tinsley drove both teams to those titles!

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It has to be Fred. What is his combined career record as player/coach? Has to be pretty damn good. So's his record against the Hawks.

• Agree
Reactions: chadm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron