Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Jackson Vroman should get some mention. He may have been the greatest cyclone socialite ever.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Not sure if you guys heard me and Hines discussing this in our driving back from Milwaukee podcast but I got some interesting reaction to it.

Who is the greatest Cyclone ever? Our criteria was "impact made on Iowa State program."

I say Niang, mainly because of what he was able to do for the brand through social media, his personality, etc.

I think you have to go Fred if you can combine playing days with what he did as a coach - that's some gray area.

Best player ever? It's Fizer for me, but I wasn't around for the Grayer years.

Fascinating conversation. What do you guys think?

Not Fred and not Cale for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Somehow I think we are overlooking Ron Fallenchek. Might he have impacted the 70's and 80's?

In Johnny's book, they were listing some of his best quotes. The one on Ron was classic. A reporter kept asking him where Falensheks weight was. Johnny said "it's all in his ass."

Of course he also said that David Moss had the longest arms he ever saw on a white guy too. So all bets were off

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In Johnny's book, they were listing some of his best quotes. The one on Ron was classic. A reporter kept asking him where Falensheks weight was. Johnny said "it's all in his ass."

Of course he also said that David Moss had the longest arms he ever saw on a white guy too. So all bets were off
Sig
\/ \/ \/

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
These are all great picks. I just have to mention a guy that could always find a way to get a shot off, get weird rebounds. Kenny Pratt.

Kidding, it's Tinsley with the ball on a string for me. Not a great scorer, but didn't have to. He was a man among boys, IMO. But, I only go back to '82 seeing players play.

Last edited:

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Been around a while and I've seen them come and I've seen them go but if had to pick just one it would be Mr. Tinsley.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think you have to go with Johnny. He came in the darkest of times and turned around a program that has lasted for 30+ years. Take out the M&M fiasco and we have a program to be proud of. Stevens was also a huge key in getting us out of the dumpster. Stevens' impact at the time gave us cred with the nation and recruits.
'Greatest" is so subjective. If you look at Greatest as the most impact, it has to be Johnny. If you look at performance, I think Grayer or Niang would get the nod.

Reactions: CYcoFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron