Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
As a player for Iowa State:

1. Grayer
2. Fizer
3. Tinsley
4. Niang
5. Morris
6. Hornacek
7. Hoiberg
8. Stevens
9. Willoughby
10. Gary Thompson

Honorable Mention:
Abdul-Aziz, Cato, Alexander, Meyer, Thigpen, White, Horton, Long, Shirley, Stinson, Nurse Pratt, Babb, Nader, McKay, Matt Thomas, Homan, Vroman, Holloway, Bankhead, Stevie Johnson, Wegner

Good list, but you're missing a big one in B12 POY and the guy who was here at the START of our best stretch of Cyclone basketball. Melvin Ejim.

Let's not forget that guy.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
As a player for Iowa State:

1. Grayer
2. Fizer
3. Tinsley
4. Niang
5. Morris
6. Hornacek
7. Hoiberg
8. Stevens
9. Willoughby
10. Gary Thompson

Honorable Mention:
Abdul-Aziz, Cato, Alexander, Meyer, Thigpen, White, Horton, Long, Shirley, Stinson, Nurse Pratt, Babb, Nader, McKay, Matt Thomas, Homan, Vroman, Holloway, Bankhead, Stevie Johnson, Wegner
That's a pretty random list imo.

We've had a lot of great players the past 30 years. Even our worst period under McD had several NBA guys.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I completely agree, Chris. That 99-00 squad was picked in the preseason to finish 6th in the Big 12 conference - the ended up being ranked 6th in the country.

They ended up 3rd in the country in the final AP rankings that year.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
My "Mount Rushmore" of ISU Basketball is:

Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Georges Niang and Monte Morris.

I think you could make a case for any of the 4 as the greatest, or the biggest impact, but Fred's still #1 in my book.

Attachments

• ISU Mount Rushmore cropped.jpg
    ISU Mount Rushmore cropped.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 9

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Grayer was the best player we've had since I started watching in the Lynn Nance days. Best scorer I've seen, arguably the best rebounder and defender as well. He could do it all.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Jeff Grayer, Georges Niang, Fred Hoiberg, Don Smith (Zaid Abdul-Aziz)(played '65-68; 1st round, 5th overall pick, 10 yr NBA career), Mote Morris.
My Mt Rushmore + 1
Marcus Fizer and J. Tinsley high Honerable mention (mainly because only 3 and 2 years a Cyclone, other than that, both near top of list).

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Ha, pretty good list for a young man who was a baby in in 2000. Thumbs up. :)

I'll add:

50's Gary Thompson
60's Zaid Abdul-Aziz
70's The Dark Decade. Andrew Parker followed by Heft or Ivy?

Somehow I think we are overlooking Ron Fallenchek. Might he have impacted the 70's and 80's?

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014
The problem with all of these all-time lists is lack of familiarity with players the farther back you go. There is always a bias toward more recent players. Has anyone even mentioned Zaid Abdul-Aziz?
Exactly! Hercle Ivey that guy could flat out ball! At least that's what my great great grandpa used to say.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Good list, but you're missing a big one in B12 POY and the guy who was here at the START of our best stretch of Cyclone basketball. Melvin Ejim.

Let's not forget that guy.

Updated. Can't believe I forgot Mel. He's close to that top ten IMO. He probably belongs in there.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have been around a long time, and yet for basketball accomplishments, I would have to say Monte Morris. He stayed around for 4 years playing under 2 basketball coaches, contributed constantly, always a good representative of the college, his stats are amazing, his teams always did extremely well, even when maybe by rights they shouldn't have. I love all those other guys, Hornecek, Grayer, Niang, but Morris takes the cake.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I guess it's a winners/winning teams, popularity & national accolades type of list for ISU Players.

Brackins is probably the only "glaring" omission from the McDermott years and I didn't think of him either. I suppose you could make a case for Garrett as well. Both would be Honorable Mention if included. They would have made a much bigger name under better circumstances but unfortunately they played for the worst coach we've had in the last 3+ decades. They played at a time when most of the life had been sucked out of the program so their time is a lot less memorable.

The other of "several" NBA guys McDermott had didn't have big impacts at ISU. Taylor was a good player but getting booted for stealing isn't going to land you on many top 10 lists. Chewy ran Johnson off so he could be an AA elsewhere. Who else am I forgetting?

Good job at least throwing a list out there. It's a lot harder to do that than it is to lob pot shots at it without actually adding names.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Who is the greatest Cyclone ever? Our criteria was "impact made on Iowa State program."

Based on this criterion I would still say Thompson. He was an All American in both Basketball and Baseball leading the Cyclones to the College World Series. He was the face of ISU basketball for years on television broadcasts and was a trusted confidant of Iowa State Athletics administration for years helping to vet and land multiple coaches. Gary is a true Cyclone.

The good news is there are so many candidates for whom people can make very good cases.

Reactions: CYcoFan

Help Support Us

Become a patron