Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Just keep in mind that Barry Stevens had a higher PPG than Niang (without a 3-point line), drug Johnny's Cyclones from the dregs of college BB and was a key to getting Grayer to Ames. That's a pile of cred right there. At least worthy of a mention.

He definitely heads up the all underrated/underappreciated team. He was a little before my time but I know enough to know how good he was and the impact he had as Johnny's first big time player.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
80's Grayer
90's Hoiberg
00's Fizer
10 Niang
Morris is a close second

Ha, pretty good list for a young man who was a baby in in 2000. Thumbs up. :)

I'll add:

50's Gary Thompson
60's Zaid Abdul-Aziz
70's The Dark Decade. Andrew Parker followed by Heft or Ivy?

Last edited:
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If Fred Hoiberg doesn't play basketball for Johnny Orr there is no Johnny Orr as we know him today. If there is no Fred Hoiberg the player there is no Fred Hoiberg the coach and there is no Georges Niang except maybe trolling us on twitter as a hok alum.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
If Fred Hoiberg doesn't play basketball for Johnny Orr there is no Johnny Orr as we know him today. If there is no Fred Hoiberg the player there is no Fred Hoiberg the coach and there is no Georges Niang except maybe trolling us on twitter as a hok alum.

That alternate reality sounds awful.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I agree with Bawbie's Mt Rushmore - Grayer, Hoiberg, Niang, Morris

Hoiberg biggest impact on program if you count coach and player

Most talented ties between Tinsley, Fizer, and Royce.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I was there for the Grayer years. He deserves to be #1 player. No one had a bigger impact.

Niang was our best ambassador for sure. His personality was an amazing asset for the program.

If we want to consider coaches as well, Johnny Orr has to be #1. The program was abysmal before he came to Ames. He instilled a brand of basketball that has become synonymous with Iowa State basketball and Johnny was the creator of "Hilton Magic".

• Agree
Reactions: LutherBlue

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

tumblr_li9211Ezrq1qafrh6.gif

Don't you put that evil on us Ricky Bobby!

Reactions: jcyclonee and ca4cy

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
The person with the greatest impact on Cyclone basketball, perhaps on the entire athletics program, in my opinion, was Johnny Orr. People who did not follow ISU basketball in the 1970s do not know how miserable we were. On top of that, football under Jim Criner was probably even worse, so the basketball team's improvement in the early and mid 1980s kept us from being totally irrelevant when Iowa's teams were grabbing the state's fancy. Remember, we went like four decades without an NCAA appearance.

Johnny gave us a team to be proud of, to be excited about. Plus he became a recognizable figure around the state. Win or lose, Johnny would say something uniquely funny and perhaps even borderline profane after the game, and we would all feel good about the Clones. I watched visiting teams quit warming up to see what the commotion was when Johnny came running onto the court to the sound of the "Here's Johnny" song. One coach supposedly came to greet Johnny as he was just walking onto the court so Johnny couldn't parade down the sideline and further fire the fans' frenzy.

Without Johnny, we have no Fred Hoiberg, no Marcus Fizer, no Georges, no Monte, and absolutely no Hilton Magic.

No I do not remember that, I am 28.

Also, I was purely talking about Grayer's game. He is the best person to ever play basketball at Iowa State University.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The problem with all of these all-time lists is lack of familiarity with players the farther back you go. There is always a bias toward more recent players. Has anyone even mentioned Zaid Abdul-Aziz?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Huh time. Hilton Magic came before Fred with Grayer, Stevens, Hornacek and company. Started with Stevens and established with the 1986 "Boys Versus Men" NCAA game in Minneapolis which gave us the national spotlight beating Michigan.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Huh time. Hilton Magic came before Fred with Grayer, Stevens, Hornacek and company. Started with Stevens and established with the 1986 "Boys Versus Men" NCAA game in Minneapolis which gave us the national spotlight beating Michigan.

Ya but Fred was the turning point, the golden goose. If he would have gotten away that would have all been for nothing.

• Dislike
Reactions: DarkStar

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Curious? Why do you say this? Or are you just being funny (the last part of your statement is a horrifying thought, LOL)? Coach Orr had a pretty good run going and only coached Fred for 3 of his 4 seasons at Iowa State? Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic...?

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Just keep in mind that Barry Stevens had a higher PPG than Niang (without a 3-point line), drug Johnny's Cyclones from the dregs of college BB and was a key to getting Grayer to Ames. That's a pile of cred right there. At least worthy of a mention.
Barry Stephens, Ron Virgil and Ronny Harris made going to games fun for the first time ever. Barry was a great shooter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron