Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I am sorry some of you are too young to remember watching him play, but Jeff Grayer is the best player ever at Iowa State. He was a pleasure to watch. Niang scored a lot of points and so did Fizer, but Grayer had a complete game, including being a very good rebounder and great defender.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Barry Stevens, AINEC, ISU hoops was a dumpster fire til he came.

Hilton Magic was due to Barry Stevens, he put ISU hoops on the map. Hitting a 30 footer to pouring in 40 points to beat #8Mizzou in one of the most amazing games I ever saw. Dude was raining in long range jumpers all night long. 3 point line was around he might have had 60.

If the 3 point line was around when he played, nobody would have sniffed the number of points he put up.

Barry Stevens also opened the Michigan pipeline, no Grayer without Stevens, no Thompkins without Stevens,and many others Pretty much any Michigan recruit we ever got was because Stevens chose to come to the cornfields of Central Iowa.

If not for Stevens, Orr would have not turned the program around imho. And who knows what would have happened from there.

Many on here are too young to remember him, but you should take time and research Barry Stevens. I believe even coach Orr once called him the most important recruit in ISU history.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Orr, but I'm guessing you mean players.

Georges, and if he doesn't break his foot it's unanimous imo.

Reactions: mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Best career player impact: Niang (Morris/Ejim 2nd)

Biggest single season player impact: Royce White (Kane 2nd)

Best overall player: Jeff Grayer

Best overall person to impact the program: Fred Hoiberg

Best pure point guard: Monte Morris

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
If we are venturing out of basketball, shout out for George Washington Carver.

The funny thing is when they were doing that ESPN 24 hour review of March Madness, they did not indicate him as one ISU's most famous grads And now it escapes me who they did name.

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The funny thing is when they were doing that ESPN 24 hour review of March Madness, they did not indicate him as one ISU's most famous grads And now it escapes me who they did name.

Probably can find of few of them in the house names for Geoffroy Hall and some of the other dorms.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
1. Hoiberg - No explanation needed
2. Niang - Embraced CycloneNation like none other
3. Grayer - Olympian and best player
4. Thompson - Revolutionized ISU basketball
5. Fizer - Most dominant player
6. Tinsley - Best PG
7. Hornacek - Helped bring ISU from depths of hell to Sweet 16
8. Stevens - Helped create "Hilton Magic"
9. Abdul-Aziz - Going off stats, and they are impressive
10. Ejim - Solid three years, one great year

I'll probably get flack for not including Morris. He's certainly on my "Honorable Mention" list. I compare his career to Ejim. Solid role player for three years and finally took control his final season.

Reactions: jmeeksISU

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
My "Mount Rushmore" of ISU Basketball is:
Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Georges Niang and Monte Morris....

My Mt. Cyclone has six guys.
In order: Grayer, Fizer, Niang, Hoiberg, Morris and Hornacek.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Jeff Grayer is the greatest player in Iowa State Basketball history.
THIS. Hornacek is probably my favorite Cyclone, but Grayer was AMAZING!! If he doesn't injure his knee, I'd venture that he would have had a long and successful NBA career (probably similar to Mitch Richmond).

• Agree
Reactions: Bret44

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Johnny Orr. Johnny put the program on the map.... not easy to do. The coaches that came after him took the program further (some went backwards). Without Johnny we are not having this discussion.

Player? I'll go with Fizer

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Pete Taylor deserves some kudos, too as stated earlier. I still miss him.

Not the greatest: LaFester Rhoades..... Loved him on the court. Off the court, not so much. He lived in the apartment above me and he was ALWAYS arguing with his GF. Had to bang on the ceiling to get him to shut up.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I love Georges and his jersey needs to be hung immediately, but he isn't on the same planet as Grayer. Grayer was an amazing amazing player, there is nothing he could not do on the basketball court. Hurt his knee and ruined his pro career.

Barry Stevens, someone said it above, but he was the single most important player in Iowa State history, without him Johnny Orr would have failed in my opinion and god knows where we would be.

Surprised people don't metnion Hornacek more, although I think Monte is a better college player.

• Agree
Reactions: fsanford

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron