Why do we even play UNI anymore?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This thread is already so chock full of clichés it’s hilarious.

1) Why do we play UNI? We nothing to gain and everything to lose.

The UNI game is a huge draw and far better at gauging our team than playing against any other FCS school.

2) Maybe they played conservatively and didn’t show the whole playbook.

I can’t imagine a situation where this is remotely true. At worst, this is reflective of a team that’s taken a step backward and will not win as many games as we hoped this season, at best, this is a wake up call for the coaches and players to get their **** together and improve.

3) Maybe this is a sign that UNI is actually really good and that they’ll have a great season

Maybe so, maybe not. It doesn’t really matter how good/bad they are, because what it all boils down to is that everyone is so unproven at this point in the season that these games really should not have any bearing on how the rest of the season goes.

ISU started 2-3 last season going into the WVU upset. I don’t have the exact records in mind, but there are years where UNI beat or lost a close game to ISU and proceeded to stumble their way through the rest of the year.

So much of this conversation is built on prognostication that it doesn’t really matter, as long as the team sticks to Campbell’s MO about “The Process” and uses each and every game (win or lose) as a learning experience.

You hear analysts and former players talk about #2. Why show your hand with a top 25 opponent coming in for the next game?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It does nothing to help. Ir does nothing to sell tickets. How many people gave up on buying tickets two years ago after loosing to UNI? Yes, you may get a few extra sales to this game but you may lose the rest of the season. It's a Lose - Lose game.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
We play UNI because it sells tickets and it's good for the state of Iowa. Just like Iowa though, I wish we would play them in the 2nd or 3rd nonconference game. Seems like Campbell's teams need time to get in rhythm and typically get better through the season.... so a Wofford or Towson or Sister Mary Mother of the Poor school should always be scheduled in Week 1.

Either way, a top 25 team with conference title aspirations has to beat an FCS team. We (barely) did.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Do any top tier programs schedule any FCS with a pulse? We are basically paying them for coin flip. I'm not saying hide from UNI. I'm saying... maybe stop scheduling FCS entirely unless it's going to be a functionally free bye week.

Yes to win a championship we should be able to beat them. But recognizing the reality that we are doing scheduling wrong putting what amounts to two extremely emotionally driven games on the books at the beginning of a season where our coaches insist on not showing off the playbook is a sign that we still think we are some 3-9 team that doesnt have better choices

WVU played the 2nd ranked fcs team today, and they were really a tough out. The 20-13 score was no fluke. JMU is a tough team. They returned 20 starters and have many div 1a transfers.

JMU is actually 2-2 against the last 4 div 1a teams they played, and VT quit scheduling them after they beat VT twice.

a win is a win. ISU fans should be celebrating.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
You hear analysts and former players talk about #2. Why show your hand with a top 25 opponent coming in for the next game?

Because any coach worth their salt knows that UNI is going to come in with fists swinging, especially when they do it time after time regardless of whether they are playing us, Iowa, or Wisconsin. It’s not worth keeping the other team at arms length by handicapping yourself if it means you’re going to have your hands full anyway.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Now our offense, Think about this... Brock didn't run once that I remember. We didn't see Re'al Mitchell, I am thinking we will use him as some sort of wildcat RPO look. Call him a secret weapon maybe. How many times did we throw it deep? Not many. How many trick or fancy plays? slim to none. How many RPO's not many. ALL THIS FOR A REASON. I am not worried one bit!

Is that reason because CMC really treats the Iowa game with "Superbowl" importance?

• Useful
Reactions: Lafaester54

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Because any coach worth their salt knows that UNI is going to come in with fists swinging, especially when they do it time after time regardless of whether they are playing us, Iowa, or Wisconsin. It’s not worth keeping the other team at arms length by handicapping yourself if it means you’re going to have your hands full anyway.

I'm not sure how you could watch that game and keep that line of thinking. To each their own.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Everyone saying UNI is a good draw is lying to themselves. That game sells out no matter who the hell we play. It’s stupid to schedule a team when we 100% know it’s going to be the biggest game they play all season long

Bingo. 10 or 15 years ago there may have been something to this, but not anymore. Opening day against any punching bag school you can find and the Jack will be full now.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
WVU played the 2nd ranked fcs team today, and they were really a tough out. The 20-13 score was no fluke. JMU is a tough team. They returned 20 starters and have many div 1a transfers.

JMU is actually 2-2 against the last 4 div 1a teams they played, and VT quit scheduling them after they beat VT twice.

a win is a win. ISU fans should be celebrating.

Hmm, so Va Tech has figured this thing out? Good for them. Hope we do the same.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Bingo. 10 or 15 years ago there may have been something to this, but not anymore. Opening day against any punching bag school you can find and the Jack will be full now.

Yep. I mean, look even at alabama. They schedule a few easy teams every year that are often worse than UNI because it is *good* to take breaks where you can get them. UNI often ends up rating out higher than many FBS programs in the sun belt or C-USA, so by scheduling them (or other top end FCS schools) its like we're playing 12 FBS programs a year. Given our historical disadvantages, why do that when even those at the top don't?

I mean, to dig down into it, based on last year's sagarin ratings (since this year is too early for computer ratings, and since these games are scheduled so far in advance anyway)

In its noncon, Alabama is playing:
Duke (49)
New Mexico State (166)
Southern Miss (108)
Western Carolina (204)

In our noncon, we play
Iowa (10)
UNI (96)
ULM (118)

There's a lot of room to make that easier, and there's a reason even schools like Alabama do it.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You guys all say but..... but its just FCS we should just win and no excuse, but you dont see Alabama (AL has Western Carolina this year a team that averages about 1 or 2 wins in the FCS per year) or Clemson scheduling the top teams in the FCS for their one FCS game, they schedule the cupcakes, they never schedule the NDst or SDst or similar caliber teams.

Problem is it is not only a great FCS opponent, and everyone knows here, its still a sort of rivalry that they get completely Jacked up for, but everyone around the country thinks we cant hold our own now because we barely held on to beat an FCS team.

But there is a lot more to the story. Honestly we would be better scheduling a lower level G5 school, at least its FBS and people around the country would be more satisfied, and they wouldnt have that rivalry adrenaline boost. Or schedule a FCS opponent like Illinois St, if you want that cupcake win like the SEC does.

I mean did anyone see Farley do the "awe shucks finger snap move, thing after the game" like damn we almost got em. There's no skin of their backs for this game, they have nothing to lose, we were the ones with everything to lose.
Another thing you have to realize, a few years ago the TOE barely beat UNI and ended up in the Orange Bowl.

And those that say people sound like hawk fans saying we shouldnt play them anymore, this is a completely different situation and you know it. Iowa and Iowa State are both P5 teams, Iowa replacing Iowa state with a "more prominent" P5 game is just stupid and squawk talk and would do nothing for them.
This is a completely different animal. I just think we have a lot more to lose than to gain by playing teams like UNI, NDst, SDst, all teams that continually scare or beat FBS teams year after year and make deep runs in the FCS playoffs.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
if we didn’t do it, UNI wouldn’t be able to keep the dome open.

Very nice gesture.

Also, allows Farley to shoot his load in a loss as they inexplicably lose 3-4 conference games.

• Funny
Reactions: Naddafinga

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Ask yourself what is more fun for opening day, beating up a pretty bad football team that can't locate Iowa on a map, or sweating through these UNI games? It's a pretty simple answer.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
I’m glad we are facing South Dakota to open up next year.
SDSU is higher ranked than UNI (#4, #20 in Coaches Poll).

Maybe a good reason is that if you have an off game against UNI as your first game, you still might end up with a W.