Why do you stay a fan of the NFL team you root for? (Kickin it pod)

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
listening to Woody on the pod:

"roster changes, coach changes, why would you be lifelong Vikings fan or Chiefs fan, it doesn't make rational sense" - paraphrasing Woody

Woody is a very smart guy obviously and usually agree with what he's saying.

don't quite understand what he was trying to say in this part of pod.

you pick a fan of a team when young, usually regional one on TV, and you stick with it cause you buy their gear and that's your team?

i mean that's how you become a "fanatic" of a team. you stick with them. nobody would care about sports if you just switched teams every year. fans wouldn't exist.

i think he was trying to say something about realignment and it needs to stay regional to a degree, but he completely lost me on his point.

care to explain yourself Woody?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

"roster changes, coach changes, why would you be lifelong Vikings fan or Chiefs fan, it doesn't make rational sense" - paraphrasing Woody

you pick a fan of a team when young, usually regional one on TV, and you stick with it cause you buy their gear and that's your team?

i mean that's how you become a "fanatic" of a team. you stick with them. nobody would care about sports if you just switched teams every year. fans wouldn't exist.

i think he was trying to say something about realignment and it needs to stay regional to a degree, but he completely lost me on his point.

You do understand that these posts don't directly go to those folks?

Reactions: keepngoal

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well I believe you should have posted this in pro sports not college sports, but I assume your just pot stirring like you did in your last thread.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but it’s apathy. I’m a Bears fan, so it’s kind of a perfect fit for that franchise.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I’m a Rams fans, but them winning or losing doesn’t affect my day at all. I’ll watch them if they are on tv, but I don’t have the nfl ticket and it’s not appointment tv either way. Now the Cyclones…everything stops when they’re playing. All other games are secondary. No plans are made where I have to be away from a tv if I can help it. If they lose, I’m in a bad mood for at least the rest of the day if not a couple days.

Honestly, if some of you people are that invested in ISU AND an nfl team, I don’t know how you do it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

On one hand, the same can be said of college teams. Rosters change every year, coaches every few, so that point doesn't really land.

But I was a Vikings fan growing up (era of Tommy Kramer and Ahmad Rashad) and while I watched all their games, I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in that as I was ISU. As I got older and had more options of things to do, the Vikings fandom just fell away. Part of that was getting tired of them piddling everything down their legs, but part was just a loss of interest.

Now I tend to gravitate toward teams with Cyclones on them and I find that fun, but a win or loss still doesn't make or break my day.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I kind of am like Jeff in that sense. I cheer for players more as I get older. Dallas has been my 'team' since I was 5 but I don't care as much as I do about ISU.

Pro is just entertainment. College is more.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I can’t quit the stupid Vikings. But I’m completely calloused and fully prepared for any nutshots and am never planning on them winning anything ever.

I bought the new NFL package for the first time but it was so that I can watch Brock, all our guys on the Jets and other guys scattered around the league now. This is how I will be consuming football on Sundays this fall. As weird as it feels and sounds, if the Vikings are in a tight one but the New York is driving in the 4th quarter, I’ll probably be watching Rodgers and god damn Jets.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I agree with him that I'm not nearly invested in "my" team as I used to be. I'm a Bucs fan and went nuts when they won their first SB, but was really ho-hum about their more recent one with Brady at the helm. I'm heavily into Fantasy Football, so I'm much more invested in the individual players than the teams now. With the transfer portal, NIL and realignment, my fear is that the college game will take a similar path in the near future.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Similar to others have said, I'm way more of an ISU fan than I am of anything pro. Growing up I was a Broncos 'fan' (played for the Broncos in a peewee league). I'd watch their games when convenient, think I have a couple shirts (compared to 20+ for ISU).

Now, I could care less how the Broncos do. I consider myself a 49ers fan and I'll follow/root for the Jets as well. Won't go out of my way to watch, but I'll follow/watch when I'm not doing anything else.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I’ve been a Vikings fan as long as I can remember, as they’re the most “local” team to me. Through high school I was heavily invested. While at ISU I became so invested in college sports that my pro interest waned a lot.

I moved back to north Iowa in 2012, and with the Vikings back on my TV every Sunday, got more into it again. A lot of my buddies here are Viking fans too, so it’s pretty common for 4-5 of us to get together for games. I listen to Paul Allen’s show every day during the regular season the way I listen to all the ISU pods.

I actually enjoy the fact that I’m less invested. I’m not mad at all when they lose, but I have a lot of fun when they win.

The reason I’m still a fan, is because I feel there’s something weak in giving up on them at this point. Plus, I love watching football, and sports in general are always more fun for me when I care about a team.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've always been a college first fan and then NFL. Over the years I would say my NFL fandom has slipped significantly but I still consider myself a Vikings fan. I've always found it interesting how people gravitate towards certain NFL teams, Growing up in NW IA the Vikes were on every Sunday so that's the main reason the became my team.

Also, hardcore NFL fans are a special group of people and I don't mean that in a nice way....

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

My NFL and MLB team has been steady for about 3 decades. My interest in the Royals waxes and wanes, but I'm ride or die for the Chiefs. From the SB to the disaster of 2012 to Martyball era and everything in between I'm there. Actually first started as a 49ers fan, but that was mainly because of Joe Montana. The NHL I sorta root for the Blackhawks, but NBA is definitely more of a root for player thing, mainly ex-Cyclones.

Ranking my sports would be NFL, CBB, CFB, MLB, NHL, NBA

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I've watched Chicago Bears football for literally as long as I can remember. From Payton's earliest years I never missed a game growing up

So it's basically habit at this point and living in the area again.

I've cut the Cubs. Don't like basketball. Hard to follow my NHL team due to the time difference.

So my pro sports and overall fandom is pretty low at the moment

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Super casual pro fan. Grew up with the Bears so still watch them but I don't get too worried if I miss them.

Much more invested in ISU but it was a much stronger investment growing up. However I've realized I move on much faster if they lose or whatever over the last few seasons.

Nothing to do with NIL, just changing perspective.

I also watch a lot of teams/conferences outside of ISU if I generally like the sport and tend to have a team that I find enjoyable to follow.

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
Well I believe you should have posted this in pro sports not college sports, but I assume your just pot stirring like you did in your last thread.
it relates to both college and pro. he was talking about ISU playing nearby schools and somehow trying to relate it to NFL teams changing coaches and players every year.

isn't the entire point of message boards for pot stirring / debating ? ;)

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
On one hand, the same can be said of college teams. Rosters change every year, coaches every few, so that point doesn't really land.

But I was a Vikings fan growing up (era of Tommy Kramer and Ahmad Rashad) and while I watched all their games, I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in that as I was ISU. As I got older and had more options of things to do, the Vikings fandom just fell away. Part of that was getting tired of them piddling everything down their legs, but part was just a loss of interest.

Now I tend to gravitate toward teams with Cyclones on them and I find that fun, but a win or loss still doesn't make or break my day.

I agree with that. I watched more NFL last year than I have in decades. And that is mostly because of Purdy. Being a long time divisional rival of my Rams, I've always hated the 49ers. But when they play twice this year, I'll be rooting for Purdy to light them up. Now if he's not playing, I hope the Rams kill them.

The NFL is getting pretty fun when we have so many former players in the league. Most games will have a former Cyclone in it now. And especially the skill players...we're going to see multiple TDs every week between Purdy, Breece, Montgomery, Lazard. Plus it sure looks like Butler and Hutchinson are going to make rosters. Kolar is probably getting snaps as well.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I can only speak for myself, but it’s apathy. I’m a Bears fan, so it’s kind of a perfect fit for that franchise.

Once a fan, always a fan. Only losers, turncoats, and other degenerates give up on their team. I think there can be very few exceptions where a franchise goes nuclear and loses fans. Relocation is a forgivable way to "leave" a team (Rams fans for example). I the Ped State fiasco is another (though I think it's a lot harder to give up on college/alma mater than a pro team). The Redskins is maayyybbeee another.

No matter how much your team stinks you never quit, otherwise you were never a fan.

Edit: I've lived in KC for 15 years. I will root for the Chiefs ANY time they aren't playing the Bears. It doesn't matter how good Mahomes and the Chiefs are I will never be a Chiefs fan first. Ever.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
I've stayed with the Chargers even though they moved. I know if I switch teams, they will win the Super Bowl.

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
I've always been a college first fan and then NFL. Over the years I would say my NFL fandom has slipped significantly but I still consider myself a Vikings fan. I've always found it interesting how people gravitate towards certain NFL teams, Growing up in NW IA the Vikes were on every Sunday so that's the main reason the became my team.

Also, hardcore NFL fans are a special group of people and I don't mean that in a nice way....
if you love football, why would being a hardcore fan of an NFL team be a bad thing? weird take.

gotta remind myself CF is the top 1% of ISU fans and a majority of people on here grew up in rural Iowa. a lot of anti-pro sports people on here. which is now funny with how college is going.

if you grew up near an NFL city, i guarantee you would be part of that "special group".

i love ISU football and NFL. i love football. i never understood someone who loves college football but doesn't follow the NFL. that means you love college.....not football.