Willow Hall?

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I am still in Ames, but live off campus, I got the call last night and it took me about an hour to get back to bed.

I am glad it was just a false alarm, but it seems that the system worked pretty well.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Ok I have mixed reactions about this whole thing. This system is great if there is something like another VT incident, but last night's incident seemed to spark a panic. If they hadn't sent out the messages 95% of us wouldn't have even heard about this and most people would have slept better.

The whole "displaying a handgun thing" is something that seems to be done more to try to get a reaction rather than someone going on a shooting spree. If they had the intention to use it, displaying the gun before using it would be pretty stupid. THen again, if you're going to go shoot people... you probally aren't thinking the best.

I guess being safe is better than being sorry, but working people into a panic because they think a situation is worse than it is is also a little bad... I mean look at the first few posts, "There is a gunman loose on campus" and people started thinking we were going to be the next VT, rather than reading the message that this is more of a domestic disturbance and just be cautious.

It's kind of like someone yelling "fire" in a theater when someone lights a cigarette...

Atleast we know the system works now

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I have no problem with ISU alerting us with something like this. However, don't you think it'd be appropriate if they would send out an email, text message, and voicemail saying that the situation was resolved and we were no longer under a campus emergency? I woke up from my phone vibrating at 4 AM and read the texts and listened to the voicemail, not knowing how serious this was. At that time, it had been resolved about an hour and a half earlier.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I have no problem with ISU alerting us with something like this. However, don't you think it'd be appropriate if they would send out an email, text message, and voicemail saying that the situation was resolved and we were no longer under a campus emergency? I woke up from my phone vibrating at 4 AM and read the texts and listened to the voicemail, not knowing how serious this was. At that time, it had been resolved about an hour and a half earlier.

I agree. It's a good thing that ISU has a system in place, but your comment illustrates that they haven't completely thought it through, yet.

One of the problems with the alert is that people can use it to gain notoriety, it can cause the "boy who cried wolf" effect, and someone needs to make the "all clear" call, which is an extremely risky thing for the University, liability-wise. But without the "all clear" call, the "alert" loses value.

Establishing a workable security plan is tough, and gets tougher the bigger the organization.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I don't know what ticks me off more about that article. The misleading headline, or the fact that police "investigators" weren't able to find the pellet gun in a glove, in the room where the "gun" was first reported.

Searching a room is not rocket science. Note to police: Look in the gloves next time....