Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Some added advantages for Wilson residents will be the proximity to central campus
Next sentence:
“It took awhile to get used to it because it seemed so far away from campus,”
Nice job author.

Luckily Towers weren't constructed as temporary housing. I personally think they really messed up not making the Martin-Eaton complex bigger.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
How many years until they have to blow up the last two towers?

I actually never knew this, but the article says:

In 2003 and 2004, structural issues caused the Department of Residence to close Knapp and Storms halls. In 2005, the halls were demolished. Knapp and Storms halls were constructed using a batch of concrete with a high iron content, which over time led to irreparable damage. The concrete used to create Wallace and Wilson halls contained the appropriate amount of iron to withstand Iowa weather conditions.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Next sentence:

Nice job author.

Luckily Towers weren't constructed as temporary housing. I personally think they really messed up not making the Martin-Eaton complex bigger.

I know they were only designed to be "temporary" housing, but considering Wallace/Wilson are nearing 50 years in age, I think it's safe to say at this point it's "permanent" housing...

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I know they were only designed to be "temporary" housing, but considering Wallace/Wilson are nearing 50 years in age, I think it's safe to say at this point it's "permanent" housing...

Yeah, all four were designed to be temporary but with the renovations to Wallace and Wilson in the earlier part of decade and the correct concrete they'll end up being used for quite sometime.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Next sentence:

Nice job author.

There was originally going to be one more building like those two, as i remember, and then Helser wouldve been knocked out.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I'm surprised the neighborhood activists around Towers aren't protesting this move! How dare ISU populate their dormitories with more unruly freshman! This will lower their property values!!!

:jimlad:

Last edited:

Hawkcigar

Oct 22, 2006
I spent my one year at ISU in Wilson Hall. Had a lot of fun out there and still have some good memories...even 30 years later.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There was originally going to be one more building like those two, as i remember, and then Helser wouldve been knocked out.

Actually, no - they were originally going to tear down part of what once was Hughes Hall (Friley west of the Arches) and replace it with a dormitory of the style of Eaton and Martin Halls (the two residence halls built on top of where Clyde Williams Field used to sit), connected to the Arches, as part of a UDA rehabilitation. Part of Helser Hall was torn down to accommodate the UDA Community/Dining Center (Woodrow House ceases to exist as a result - R.I.P. the Beaver...), and the rest of it was to be torn down upon completion of the three new residence halls. The tearing down of that part of Hughes Hall and rebuilding it with Suite #3, as far as I can tell, has been abandoned. Then again, it's been more than a decade since I was involved with the student part of the planning of the UDA rehabilitation.

Unless you are referring to years before my time at ISU (1997-2003)...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Actually, no - they were originally going to tear down part of what once was Hughes Hall (Friley west of the Arches) and replace it with a dormitory of the style of Eaton and Martin Halls (the two residence halls built on top of where Clyde Williams Field used to sit), connected to the Arches, as part of a UDA rehabilitation. Part of Helser Hall was torn down to accommodate the UDA Community/Dining Center (Woodrow House ceases to exist as a result - R.I.P. the Beaver...), and the rest of it was to be torn down upon completion of the three new residence halls. The tearing down of that part of Hughes Hall and rebuilding it with Suite #3, as far as I can tell, has been abandoned. Then again, it's been more than a decade since I was involved with the student part of the planning of the UDA rehabilitation.

Unless you are referring to years before my time at ISU (1997-2003)...

Yes, the new building was going to go on top of part of friley, but i believe after that Helser was going to be torn down to create green space in the middle of that area. My time was just after yours (03-07)

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Ugh. I lived in a triple in Wilson (Lamson) for about 2 weeks. I know some folks loved the Towers, but I couldn't wait to get out of there. Moved to new RCA at semester.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Spent four years in the towers (Wilson / Matterson) and loved it. Had a room that overlooked the "South Towers Beach" (nice views!!). Long walk / bike ride down Welch was the only negative.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yes, the new building was going to go on top of part of friley, but i believe after that Helser was going to be torn down to create green space in the middle of that area. My time was just after yours (03-07)

My fault - I misread your post. I thought you were referring to another building being built out at Towers, which, as far as I can tell, was NEVER in the works.

rif-logo-blue_large.gif

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I remember saying "Candyman" in the mirror five times my first morning at Wallace Hall. My life hasn't been the same since.

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
Spent four years in the towers (Wilson / Matterson) and loved it. Had a room that overlooked the "South Towers Beach" (nice views!!). Long walk / bike ride down Welch was the only negative.

Did they still have annual "Mistletoe Madness" on Matterson when you were there? I lived on Matterson for 3 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron