Wilson Hall (Towers) Back to Double Occupancy

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm a Storm Hall/Baker House (10th floor) man myself. I hope the new residents are not exclusively freshmen. You need upperclassmen for a variety of reasons, including leadership (house president, social chair, etc..) as well as to show the ropes to the incoming freshmen. I hope CyRide is still running to provide rides to to campus as the long walk along Welch is cold in the winter (especially from the engineering and science buildings).

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
I'm a Storm Hall/Baker House (10th floor) man myself. I hope the new residents are not exclusively freshmen. You need upperclassmen for a variety of reasons, including leadership (house president, social chair, etc..) as well as to show the ropes to the incoming freshmen and buy beer. I hope CyRide is still running to provide rides to to campus as the long walk along Welch is cold in the winter (especially from the engineering and science buildings).

Fixed

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You have to admit it pays to have upper classmen who can handle their ****. If there are only freshman around you will end up with 18 year olds getting liquor poisoning.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Damn, I'm Old.

A mini fridge and microwave in each room? A convenience store right in the complex? We had a couple of vendo's in the commons (ice cream sandwich, anyone?). I brought a hot plate and toaster oven from home along with my 12" Black and White TV (with tubes!). I suppose next they're going to tell me they don't have those black dial up telephones in the rooms anymore.

Seriously. I lived in Wilkinson house 10th floor of Knapp for 3 years. Started out in a TRIPLE occupancy room but only there for about 2 weeks before I got moved into a corner double room because the guy who was supposed to be in there never showed up. The first 2 years were good but by the 3rd year I was very tired of dorm life (and dorm food) so moved off campus the last year and a quarter.

It was bad walking back and forth on Welch everyday especially in winter quarter. We had the option to buy a bus pass (I think it was $20 for the winter quarter). That was a lot of money to a poor college kid back then. I think tuition was about $250 a quarter. I recently moved and found a very old check register. One entry was when I had ordered pizza, delivered, from Pizza House and wrote a check for $2.52. I'm pretty sure that was a medium pizza with 3 toppings.

I have a small concrete chunk memento off of Knapp hall rescued by a buddy after the implosion and it's around here somewhere...

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Did they still have annual "Mistletoe Madness" on Matterson when you were there? I lived on Matterson for 3 years.

I was probably there long before you (80-84) and there was no MM at that time. However, there was no shortage of madness in those days.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I lived in Wilson for 3 years and I loved it. The walk was a pain sometimes, but most of the time I didn't mind it and there was always the bus. The atmosphere was way more laid back then I experienced at the other dorms. IIRC, my Junior year not one single person in the building got written up and there was plenty of craziness going on. Hell, my freshmen year we had a keg in our room for one of the senior's graduation and the RA was there. Good times.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I lived in Wilson for 3 years and I loved it. The walk was a pain sometimes, but most of the time I didn't mind it and there was always the bus. The atmosphere was way more laid back then I experienced at the other dorms. IIRC, my Junior year not one single person in the building got written up and there was plenty of craziness going on. Hell, my freshmen year we had a keg in our room for one of the senior's graduation and the RA was there. Good times.

I lived a sheltered life in Helser and Friley.

However my brother lived in Knapp during his days. He said they often had kegs in their rooms. One of his friends did get in trouble once because the keg tub leaked through the floor into another room.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Had some great times at Wallace, sneak kegs up in the grocery carts that everybody used for laundry baskets. Missed a few classes on those nasty winter days.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I lived a sheltered life in Helser and Friley.

However my brother lived in Knapp during his days. He said they often had kegs in their rooms. One of his friends did get in trouble once because the keg tub leaked through the floor into another room.

We took a 55 gallon trash can filled it over half full of water and leaned it against this guy's door. I think that leaked down about 3 floors and ruined a bunch of stuff. The whole floor got a in a lot of trouble for that one.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Nobody who fought the wind, hills, and bears of Welch Avenue would be laughing.

All three of those are tamer because of the victories I won each and every day.

Amen brother! I lived 2 buildings north of the grain bins and that north wind was a ***** in the winter. The only time in my life I ever got frost bite was from one of those first cold mornings where I didn't think I needed a stocking cap. I learned my lesson after that.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We took a 55 gallon trash can filled it over half full of water and leaned it against this guy's door. I think that leaked down about 3 floors and ruined a bunch of stuff. The whole floor got a in a lot of trouble for that one.

We did that to the elevator doors in Knapp several times. Also, soap poured inside the elevator is fun too especially late at night.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I lived in Storms (Baker) for a year, put in my time. It was a blast! Best view from a dorm out of all the other dorms on campus. Yeah, the walk was longer, and sometimes colder, but I'm not going to complain. Built a lot of character.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Its unfortunate that they have resulted to using Wallace/Wilson in pretty much full capacity again.

The original plan was to build a 3rd "suite" building like martin/eatin by tearing down west of the friley arches and building it there. Then Helser was supposed to be knocked down and that middle area was supposed to be a huge courtyard. (hence the stairs on the south side of the UDCC going to the walls of helser)

They didn't plan accurately or estimate any growth in enrollment and weren't able to knock down helser because they wouldn't have had enough room for students. Now that enrollment will be as supposedly record high for freshman, the DOR is even more screwed.

I used to work for the DOR and W/W is a ********. I don't care what some of you say about having fun out there....that's in the past and when there used to be a couple thousand students out there with w/w and k/s. I feel really bad for any freshman that gets placed out there. talk about bad luck.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Wilson/Johnson - represent - 76-78. Drinking age was 18 back then. Still broke many laws. Got hitched to a Hewitt Honey too.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
When the DOR emailed me, telling me about Wilson, I was like hell no! I'm glad I got placed in my first choice: Birch/Welch/Roberts. I'm up on the top floor of Roberts, just found out today actually.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron