Womens BB Operations Director Carper arrested

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Sorry...act stupid like this and have it reflect on our fine WBB program = loss of job IMO regardless of how much of a "good guy" he is.

I'm sure the athletic department has a procedure they follow for this type of thing. Your opinion is meaningless. Just sayin..

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If the guy does not work for the athletic department, this is not news.

But he does work for the athletic department, at the coaching staff level, and in a state where mis-behavior by athletes and athletic departments presently has a rather high profile. Not to mention that ISU has a rather ugly incident in the not too distant past regarding a coaching staff member and alcohol.

Plenty of unpreventable bad things can happen to the athletic department along the way, like key players turning pro or transferring, highly touted recruits signing elsewhere, "lifetime" coaches skipping town, or huge mandatory budget cuts. However, coaching staff puking in taxis and then skipping out on fares are bad things that should be preventable. Enough unpreventable bad stuff happens as it is. ISU doesn't need the preventable garbage to pile on. If I was the AD, this would have been made abundantly clear to all department staff on the next working day after this little incident.

Last edited:

trigger1

May 21, 2008
Ames
Sorry...act stupid like this and have it reflect on our fine WBB program = loss of job IMO regardless of how much of a "good guy" he is.

I'm sure the athletic department has a procedure they follow for this type of thing. Your opinion is meaningless. Just sayin..

I'd be a little surprised if he lost his job. IIRC the former soccer coach was arrested for a 2nd offense OWI and still coached for a couple more years before she left. Yes, other disciplinary action was taken. Don't remember what, thinking either a loss of pay or giving back an increase or something like that. My guess - keeps his job and is on a very, very short leash.

akaclone

Feb 15, 2007
Accountability is what all people are taught at this level...it's not like he stole a cell phone..if this is the biggest thing he does wrong,then handle it inside the school and let's wish josh the best of luck.!! (how would you like to walk into the coaches offices and explain this one)He made a mistake and could have been alot worse..

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I'm guessing Norma is their House Director and that she might be bound by her contract with Chi Omega Nationals to report any suspicious activity (no matter how small), especially now that the house is empty for the summer.
That, or they forgot the "re". As in "someone ... removed the television."

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd be a little surprised if he lost his job. IIRC the former soccer coach was arrested for a 2nd offense OWI and still coached for a couple more years before she left. Yes, other disciplinary action was taken. Don't remember what, thinking either a loss of pay or giving back an increase or something like that. My guess - keeps his job and is on a very, very short leash.

I doubt he survives this. Fennelly will make the decision, not Jamie, and Bill is extremely proud and protective about the image of his program. Having your Director of Operations getting drunk and being a punk does not fit with the image...

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't think he will survive either. BF's program has a really clean image, I believe, and this is the type of thing that can hurt that image. Imagine you are a female athlete's parents, and BF is trying to recruit your daughter to come to ISU to play for him........is he going to want to explain that "Yeah, our Director of Operations got drunk, barfed in the back seat of a taxi, then took off without paying the driver. But he really is a good guy". Sorry, I just don't see BF wanting to be in that position, do you?