Women's NCAA Tournament

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
While ISU obviously isn't going to be going anywhere this year, there will still be stuff to talk about, so I thought I'd start a thread.

Tonight is Selection Monday and I'm hoping to NOT see Iowa come up. Charlie Creme has them as his last team in, even though three teams ahead of them in the Big 10 final standings are left out. I don't see them going anywhere but playing some home WNIT games.

SOMEone is going to have to play UCONN at the end of the tournament. This seems like the past couple of seasons where UCONN is your automatic winner and few games will even be competitive. If UCONN is in the finals again, I doubt I watch. Their dominance hurts the sport, quite honestly. But many other games will likely be interesting and fun.

Hopefully the day that ISU is able to win a couple/three games in the NCAAs are not too far off.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
If we have some improved/solid post play and can stay somewhat healthy we should have a solid team next year! We have some outstanding players returning (Seanna Bridget Jadda) Mere could be a difference maker if she can become an all conference player asap! Health depth and post play I would say are key.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The state of Iowa may have ZERO representatives in the women's tournament this year. Iowa is now listed as the 'first team out' in Creme's bracket. Drake lost their MVC semifinal game, to Missouri State, which also beat top-seeded UNI in the finals yesterday.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
So disappointing to not have any interest in the selection show tonight - it has been a long time for us and a long streak coming to an end.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Six Big XII teams made the dance and TCU is the automatic qualifier in the WNIT. Northern Iowa and Drake made WNIT for MVC. Iowa and five other BIG made the WNIT. Only relevant inasmuch as we beat or are competitive with these teams - hopefully gives the Cyclones ideas for next season.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not lost on me that 3 former Fennelly assistants are in the tourney. He sure had a great staff back in the day. Not sure about now.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Who is the third head coach? I know Frese and Pingeton....

Katie Abrahamson-Henderson at Albany. She's been quite successful the past few years there.

*Interesting to note that Duke did not make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 21 years. They are NOT in the field of 64 for the WNIT, either. Officially, they declined because of a "limited roster," which I find to be complete BS. I bet that would have made no difference had they been good enough to make the Big Dance. After what happened to Carleton during the game in Mexico, I say "you reap what you sow, *******."

Last edited:

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Not lost on me that 3 former Fennelly assistants are in the tourney. He sure had a great staff back in the day. Not sure about now.

Frese no doubt is a great coach. Abrahamson was fired from her first head coaching job at Missouri State after taking over a VERY successful program and not being able to maintain the success. Pingeton was Assoc Head Coach the only other time CBF had a losing record. She has had mediocre results at Mizzou until this year when she was able to bring in blue chip family member to turn things around.

These are all decent coaches but do not build them up to be hall of famers (except possibly Frese). The biggest difference between then and now is the level of competition. Every school takes WBB seriously now, when some of these coaches were here there were only a handful that dedicated the resources to it. ISU was ahead of the curve mainly because of hiring CBF.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Frese no doubt is a great coach. Abrahamson was fired from her first head coaching job at Missouri State after taking over a VERY successful program and not being able to maintain the success. Pingeton was Assoc Head Coach the only other time CBF had a losing record. She has had mediocre results at Mizzou until this year when she was able to bring in blue chip family member to turn things around.

These are all decent coaches but do not build them up to be hall of famers (except possibly Frese). The biggest difference between then and now is the level of competition. Every school takes WBB seriously now, when some of these coaches were here there were only a handful that dedicated the resources to it. ISU was ahead of the curve mainly because of hiring CBF.

It was more than just that blue chip family member. The HS team she played on won several big class state champs, and most of the good players (some rated higher than Porter from those teams ended up staying at home in Columbia. Three sets of Missouri sisters on that team, the Porters and Cunningham . Another set from Columbia Rock Bridge, the Cheadle twins defected to KU, one for WBB and one for VB.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Go ASU Sun Devils! Cousin is a junior starter for them and one of the best players in the nation. Hoping then can get a rematch with South Carolina in the Elite 8!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Is this a joke? Pingeton had spectacular success at Illinois State - so Mizzou hired her. Abrahamson-Henderson has had the same success - spectacular - at Albany. Which school would hire any of our current assistants as HC? Maybe Steyer?

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Frau Bluder had high hopes pumping up her team...banned the media from her team's selection Monday get together in case they were snubbed

~Then making excuses with a lot of would of's, could of scenarios

Bottom line Lisa? Iowa beat ONE top-50 team all year. #46 Indiana

so shuddup already

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Is this a joke? Pingeton had spectacular success at Illinois State - so Mizzou hired her. Abrahamson-Henderson has had the same success - spectacular - at Albany. Which school would hire any of our current assistants as HC? Maybe Steyer?

I do not know if you can call Pingeton's success at Ill St spectacular - 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years. Also prior to this year she was 79-77 at Missouri through her first 5 years including 26-56 in the SEC. Katie has had much more success in the regular season albeit at a lower level. That being said she has never won an NCAA tournament game.

This is not an indictment on either of these two, they are both fine coaches, I just want to point out that they (other than Frese) have not proved to be Elite coaches.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Frese can recruit and coach, now at 427–137 (.757) as a head coach and she has really got it going at Maryland and she is only 45.

And, to her everlasting credit, she was the one who drove up to hockey country on the Canadian border and recruited our fav Megan Taylor.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I wonder when the last time was that the state of Iowa has ZERO teams playing in the NCAA tournament? It has to have been at least 20 years unless I'm not remembering correctly. If no one else looks it up in the meantime, I'll try to find if/when the last time it happened later today or tomorrow.