Women's NCAA Tournament

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
ooooh! UConn on track to hang 100 pts on Syracuse in the title game

great for wbb? not great for advertisers, where viewers will turn the channel. This is a joke lmao

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
UConn won the tourney games by like a combined 239 points if my quick in my head math was right. That is nearly a 40 point win margin... In the damn NCAA tournament. How exciting. Didn't have a single game this year in single digits that I could see. Had 2 that were 10 point victories. Is there that few of quality players in women's bball?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Is there that few of quality players in women's bball?

I would go back to what Geno said in an interview...women's players don't practice (all the "good" ones do is play games on traveling teams) which leads to a lack of skill when it comes to the fine details of the game. That is a huge detriment to developing the type of players needed to fill rosters in D1.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
UConn won the tourney games by like a combined 239 points if my quick in my head math was right. That is nearly a 40 point win margin... In the damn NCAA tournament. How exciting. Didn't have a single game this year in single digits that I could see. Had 2 that were 10 point victories. Is there that few of quality players in women's bball?
Yes and the best players go to uconn

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Why is there such a gap between women's and men's dominance?
I think there is a bigger gap in Women's players with elite talent (a la britney griner, candance parker, etc.) and their average d1 counterpart than there is in mens. Griner reminded me of watching Wilt Chamberlain play on espn classic, in that he just imposed his will on folks.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Congrats to UCONN, but man, was that a pointless tournament or what? Watched about 10 seconds last night to see that Syracuse was down 25 in the second half. It's boring and not entertaining to sit through. And this is coming from a long-time WBB fan. There was ZERO buzz about the women's tournament this year, aside from the sports pundits telling me how much I should love Connecticut. What I do find interesting is that UCONN wasn't even selling out their home arena for most games. Even THEIR fans are bored.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would go back to what Geno said in an interview...women's players don't practice (all the "good" ones do is play games on traveling teams) which leads to a lack of skill when it comes to the fine details of the game. That is a huge detriment to developing the type of players needed to fill rosters in D1.

He has some interesting observations in this article. It's long but I found it interesting.

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/have-i-got-your-attention-yet/
“When they show up in college, you hear how someone was a first-team All-American in high school,â€￾ Auriemma said. “Then you watch them play for a half an hour and you go, ‘Wow. What are the coaches doing with the players on that team who weren’t first-team All-American?’ I would kill myself if I was coaching those guys.â€￾

Female players of today can run faster, jump higher and are better in terms of athletic skills. But the ability to play five-on-five basketball doesn’t exist, according to Auriemma.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Great read Boxster! Maybe changed my opinion of Geno a little, but as the article mentions, he grates on a lot of people - and I'm of the opinion that he does it intentionally. But below are his thoughts about a topic that has been discussed many times on this board.

"Auriemma believes the collegiate women’s basketball game has become too physical.What is entertaining about every time someone moves, you grab them; every time they cut, you punch them; every time someone shoots, they get cracked?” Auriemma said. “We have to allow our players to show off their skills. They can cut, pass and shoot. It is kind of a throwback to (the 1986 movie) ‘Hoosiers.’”

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
no early entry for pros in women's game. If the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world kept their players for all four years they would dominate the men's game.

I don't know that they'd necessarily dominate, but that is probably the single biggest factor. Others:

*15 scholarships available in WBB vs 13 in MBB
*WBB players are more likely to accept being a role player on a great team vs being a star on an average to good team. Some of that is because of no huge NBA contracts to look forward to, and some is likely a general gender personality difference.
*Smaller pool of players to draw from (fewer girls in sports overall for a wide variety of reasons) means the truly great players are a lot less common.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't know that they'd necessarily dominate, but that is probably the single biggest factor. Others:

*15 scholarships available in WBB vs 13 in MBB
*WBB players are more likely to accept being a role player on a great team vs being a star on an average to good team. Some of that is because of no huge NBA contracts to look forward to, and some is likely a general gender personality difference.
*Smaller pool of players to draw from (fewer girls in sports overall for a wide variety of reasons) means the truly great players are a lot less common.

The only other thing I would add is degrees matter much more to girls because that is their likely future. So Stanford, Duke, Notre Dames of the world have a leg up there too.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The only other thing I would add is degrees matter much more to girls because that is their likely future. So Stanford, Duke, Notre Dames of the world have a leg up there too.

...along with winning, the head coach, and the team unity and environment. UConn is a nice school, but not up with those schools you listed. Neither is Baylor.
The top 4 recruiting classes for 2016 were Maryland, Baylor, Texas and Florida State on Hoop Gurlz

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
UConn had another tourney win this year, beating a Power 5 school Mississippi St. 98-38

60 fricking points!

lmao. Maybe Miss St is bad for wbb

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It's way harder in men's
Completely bogus. The women's game within itself is incredibly tough. I would put their individual skills up against any man within their sport. Long range shooting? Every bit as good. Free throw shooting...I would bet women are better overall. Guard play and distributing the ball. Even. The list goes on. You can't compare the sports against each other...you have to look within the given sport itself.