Woodworkers Thread

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Somewhere along the way I read that as a “right of passage” to be labeled as a wood worker you have to have made a cutting board.
Funny because the one we use in the kitchen is nylon and the one in the basement kitchen where I clean fish is simply a 14” cutoff from a fir 2x12. I did try my hand at it though and managed these. Wether cutting a block of cheese, sliceing a canned ham or carving a turkey I should be fine.
Making cutting boards was how I got the bug to do some more advanced stuff. They're the gateway drug to woodworking.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Making cutting boards was how I got the bug to do some more advanced stuff. They're the gateway drug to woodworking.
I find it fun to look back at how far I've come. This is especially helpful when I'm pissed off because I can't get some advanced joinery to work or something like that.

I started 7 years ago with christmas ornaments; literally cut a circle of pine using my jig saw, sanded it, and glued on a snowflake from the craft store. Then I tried some gifts for others, simple gluing/painting projects for decoration.

Then I did some DIY at home which was mainly just window trim. Then I built a hall bench with cubbies. Then I made an entryway table. Now I'm doing my own kitchen cabinets.

7 years ago, I could barely cut a straight line with a table saw and I had no idea that boards from menards even had flaws. Compare that to this weekend where I built two storm windows from a menards 2x6 using power and hand tools. They are two perfectly square windows with mortise and tenon joinery.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I find it fun to look back at how far I've come. This is especially helpful when I'm pissed off because I can't get some advanced joinery to work or something like that.

I started 7 years ago with christmas ornaments; literally cut a circle of pine using my jig saw, sanded it, and glued on a snowflake from the craft store. Then I tried some gifts for others, simple gluing/painting projects for decoration.

Then I did some DIY at home which was mainly just window trim. Then I built a hall bench with cubbies. Then I made an entryway table. Now I'm doing my own kitchen cabinets.

7 years ago, I could barely cut a straight line with a table saw and I had no idea that boards from menards even had flaws. Compare that to this weekend where I built two storm windows from a menards 2x6 using power and hand tools. They are two perfectly square windows with mortise and tenon joinery.
Like the old adage, you have to learn how to walk before you can learn to run, each project completed gives you the confidence (and sometimes courage) to attempt the next. I never had any formal training nor did I ever have any on job experiences to guide me along the way--I grew up a crop and livestock farmer. With todays YouTube video's you can find how to do most anything. And if you don't have the tools to perform your task you can at least envision the path to completion and attempt to get there with a little ingenuity and the tools you have. My "go to" thought is look at all the fine furniture made before the use of electricity. I have built several cabinets and wanted to build my own kitchen cabinets when I built my house but because of time constraints I didn't. Good luck with yours and post some pictures along the way and the completed project.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
An aquaintence of mine (an older gent at the time) made some rather detailed model castles, houses etc from patterns available with a scroll saw and although the finished product wasn’t up to the standards I would have set for myself they were impressive. I thought I would enjoy trying my hand at it so I purchased an older saw at an auction and started making sawdust. Turns out the saw I purchased didn’t have the capability his did and I didn’t want to invest the money to upgrade. I did make a few pieces and gave them away as gifts—one to a “cat lady” friend and some as valentines gifts as well as one to a first time mom. The latter two were inspired by photos that I transformed to wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
An aquaintence of mine (an older gent at the time) made some rather detailed model castles, houses etc from patterns available with a scroll saw and although the finished product wasn’t up to the standards I would have set for myself they were impressive. I thought I would enjoy trying my hand at it so I purchased an older saw at an auction and started making sawdust. Turns out the saw I purchased didn’t have the capability his did and I didn’t want to invest the money to upgrade. I did make a few pieces and gave them away as gifts—one to a “cat lady” friend and some as valentines gifts as well as one to a first time mom. The latter two were inspired by photos that I transformed to wood.
Not very clear in the pic but the first one is a jigsaw puzzle that says “I (heart) cats”

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Any recommendations for a general purpose track saw blade? I usually end up with Diablo for my blades but unsure if those are decent for track saws.

I’ve been having an issue with my track saw not cutting 2 inch material, even on full battery. The blade doesn’t look like it’s in bad condition at all but maybe it is. I tried cutting a 15 degree angle on a pine 2x4 last weekend and it wouldn’t even make it 6 inches.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Any recommendations for a general purpose track saw blade? I usually end up with Diablo for my blades but unsure if those are decent for track saws.

I’ve been having an issue with my track saw not cutting 2 inch material, even on full battery. The blade doesn’t look like it’s in bad condition at all but maybe it is. I tried cutting a 15 degree angle on a pine 2x4 last weekend and it wouldn’t even make it 6 inches.
I would have said Diablo but I don’t know. I don’t have a track saw. I’d like one but don’t do enough of cuts like that to justify. Buddy has a sweet setup with a commercial sawstop if I get in a pinch (or if I just want to use it because that thing is just amazing).

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I would have said Diablo but I don’t know. I don’t have a track saw. I’d like one but don’t do enough of cuts like that to justify. Buddy has a sweet setup with a commercial sawstop if I get in a pinch (or if I just want to use it because that thing is just amazing).

I ended up borrowing the neighbors table saw because my track saw wouldn’t do it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

What brand of track saw?

I almost always buy Diablos for all saws.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Makita. I’ve got blade cleaner I use on a semi regular basis for the chop saw but haven’t done it to the track saw blade.
I would try cleaning the blade. What size blade is in your track saw? I have a Makita track saw and it takes a different size blade

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have been an avid hunter all my life and reload all my own ammunition. I know, not popular with everybody but not making this political. I needed some way to organise everything so I built this chest of drawers. I was going for turn of the century postal or library motif so I made my own drawer pulls that hold a label card. Sides are raised panel and drawers are dovetailed
The oak is beautiful and I like the stain.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have been an avid hunter all my life and reload all my own ammunition. I know, not popular with everybody but not making this political. I needed some way to organise everything so I built this chest of drawers. I was going for turn of the century postal or library motif so I made my own drawer pulls that hold a label card. Sides are raised panel and drawers are dovetailed
I missed your post. Awesome work.
Now you need to make a cabinet.

I also hope your basement floor stays really dry. Too nice to get damp legs.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Nothing fancy but it's useful. Sides open and hold pocket hole screws and other parts.

Attachments

• PXL_20231110_013034316.jpg
    PXL_20231110_013034316.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone try selling decorations and such? Im thinking about going to Facebook marketplace or Etsy. Suburban moms eat this type of **** up.

I made this tonight as a prototype of sorts to try and gauge materials and time. Maybe try a bow or lights to see what works.

IMG_4298.jpeg

Also looking to make some of these which comes out to less than a dollar each for materials according to the YouTube channel I watched. They look way more intricate to make than they actually are.

IMG_4299.png

• Informative
Reactions: Yaz and NWICY

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Wife wants me to make two of those trees as well. Probably do it this weekend.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Wife wants me to make two of those trees as well. Probably do it this weekend.

It was just figuring out the angles. I used 55 degrees on the top cuts and 17.5 for the others. Seemed to make a nice proportional width.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone try selling decorations and such? Im thinking about going to Facebook marketplace or Etsy. Suburban moms eat this type of **** up.
Don’t let me discourage you…but I tried a side business making decoration items a few years ago and I wouldn’t do it again.

In my case, the price I could get was never worth the time and effort I put in. I was probably making $10/hr at best all things considered.

I went to several craft shows and would put stuff on marketplace. The last straw for me was being at a craft fair and selling nothing while the guy with cheap Chinese sh*t at the booth next to me was making a killing.

Hopefully you have better luck than me.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Diablo isn't too bad.

First choice for a sawblade of they make one for your saw is a Forrest.

Second choice would be a Ridge Carbide.

Diablo would be in 3rd place in my opinion.

Reactions: AgronAlum