Woodworkers Thread

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That is incredibly pretty. Congrats!
Thank you! Built in 1899. I’ve only done a little research on the history so far. All I know is 2 people have died in our house (natural causes from what I can tell).

The place was owned by the same couple from the mid-70s until the early 2010s. It has changed hands every few years since then with people just kind of living in it and not maintaining it.

That couple who owned it for 40 years kept almost everything original. All the original millwork is there including several 2” thick solid oak pocket doors. Some of the original flooring is gone.

It will be a grand old gal when I’m done with it. But that may take me 20 years…

• Love
Reactions: AgronAlum and NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Thank you, I've always enjoyed your posts as well as others that have shared their work. I routinely get compliments on my work but I respond with the fact that I really don't have more skill than the next person, but I may have more patience than them, and I still can find room for improvement that others don't see. I also have the luxury of heating my shop with a woodburner so even my mistakes are put to use LOL

Thank you.

A little shameless plug but if anyone needs some handyman work done, these kids are ******* expensive and I’m open for some side work. :) The latest projects have been as simple as replacing some deck boards, hanging TV mounts, siding/trim on a shed, etc. I recently painted and hung a barn door for a couple members of this site.

71183461879__42347D62-A03F-42ED-A3AA-E4AE60D0F31D.jpeg

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Thank you.

A little shameless plug but if anyone needs some handyman work done, these kids are ******* expensive and I’m open for some side work. :) The latest projects have been as simple as replacing some deck boards, hanging TV mounts, siding/trim on a shed, etc. I recently painted and hung a barn door for a couple members of this site.

View attachment 118501
That looks sweet and I appreciate your "shameless plug". Over the years I did roofing, siding, window replacement, some plumbing and electrical and more as a side hustle to my farming. My skills were all self taught but came easily for me. Looking back, my advice to you would be sure to charge what you are worth. I often times undercharged because I wanted the work but more so thinking that I would not pay that much cause I could do it myself. There are two main reasons a person hires you: they either cant do it or don't want to, Talented "handymen" are in more demand now as the bigger outfits are chasing the dollar on larger projects. Good luck!

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
That looks sweet and I appreciate your "shameless plug". Over the years I did roofing, siding, window replacement, some plumbing and electrical and more as a side hustle to my farming. My skills were all self taught but came easily for me. Looking back, my advice to you would be sure to charge what you are worth. I often times undercharged because I wanted the work but more so thinking that I would not pay that much cause I could do it myself. There are two main reasons a person hires you: they either cant do it or don't want to, Talented "handymen" are in more demand now as the bigger outfits are chasing the dollar on larger projects. Good luck!
I REALLY struggle with hiring people because "I can do that". I wanted to vomit when I hired someone to landscape our yard. But damn...watching someone come in that 1) knows EXACTLY what they are doing and 2) has the right tools for the job is well worth it. This guy knocked out the entire project in around 2 days. It probably would have taken me two weekends and countless fights with the wife. Worth it.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I REALLY struggle with hiring people because "I can do that". I wanted to vomit when I hired someone to landscape our yard. But damn...watching someone come in that 1) knows EXACTLY what they are doing and 2) has the right tools for the job is well worth it. This guy knocked out the entire project in around 2 days. It probably would have taken me two weekends and countless fights with the wife. Worth it.
I am the exact same way. I'm also extremely picky/perfectionist. My worry is always that I'll hire someone and I'll be upset with myself because A) it cost more than me doing it and B) it's not EXACTLY the way I wanted it.

That being said, as I get older and busier, I'm working on balancing what I want vs the realities of time. I've since abdicated any work on HVAC or cars. I've decided I'm going to pay for any of those services in order to "buy" myself more time to do the work I want to do which is woodworking and house DIY.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
One more to share, a 12” diameter fruit bowl. I am a terrible wood turner and don’t really enjoy it. With trial by error learning I sent a turning tool across the shop with enough force to bring down a bull elephant when I engaged a project incorrectly with the tool and mostly “work scared “ since then. What floats my boat though is glueing up the blank to be turned to try to make something unique. Walnut with a slice of mohagany between maple

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I’m the same way but I generally know my limits. I think the only thing I’ve hired out at our house was replacing the AC unit. A lot of it is out of need, not want, and the ability to save some money. For instance, I just threw a 50 dollar Amazon part and 15 minutes of my time at my car when the dealer wanted 300 to do the same work. I would have gladly hired out our fence, deck, etc. but saved thousands doing it myself.

Reactions: wintersmd

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m the same way but I generally know my limits. I think the only thing I’ve hired out at our house was replacing the AC unit. A lot of it is out of need, not want, and the ability to save some money. For instance, I just threw a 50 dollar Amazon part and 15 minutes of my time at my car when the dealer wanted 300 to do the same work. I would have gladly hired out our fence, deck, etc. but saved thousands doing it myself.
I never used to be a big do it yourselfer but have done some stuff. I started really ramping up my game during the ‘rona and after you realize how easy stuff can be if you give yourself some time and grace to figure it out, you really kick yourself when you realize how much money you pissed away on things. I know everyone is different but man, I have saved a crap ton of money over the last 4 years on things.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I never used to be a big do it yourselfer but have done some stuff. I started really ramping up my game during the ‘rona and after you realize how easy stuff can be if you give yourself some time and grace to figure it out, you really kick yourself when you realize how much money you pissed away on things. I know everyone is different but man, I have saved a crap ton of money over the last 4 years on things.
the money saved also allows you to buy new tools and still save money!

Reactions: Tri4Cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
the money saved also allows you to buy new tools and still save money!

This is what started my side work gig. I’d collect more tools along the way and any profit got split between the fam and reinvesting in the hobby. The wife was ok because I was adding money to the budget instead of taking it when I bought more tools.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I am the exact same way. I'm also extremely picky/perfectionist. My worry is always that I'll hire someone and I'll be upset with myself because A) it cost more than me doing it and B) it's not EXACTLY the way I wanted it.

That being said, as I get older and busier, I'm working on balancing what I want vs the realities of time. I've since abdicated any work on HVAC or cars. I've decided I'm going to pay for any of those services in order to "buy" myself more time to do the work I want to do which is woodworking and house DIY.

We had two bathrooms remodeled a few years ago. I volunteered to do the demo to save some money, but my wife decided it was better to just get it done. And, since it took two pros two days to do the demo that she thought would take me a morning, it has continued to pay dividends.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I like that.

I've done backsplash a few time (and some shiplap) in kitchens but never quite like that. Every time I've ever done something like that those, the two little spots noted below can always go **** themselves. They are almost always such a little pain in the ass.

View attachment 118485
I came in late so a lot of the work was started out of wack. Had to pull crown, level up everything, but luckily that sill piece was cut so bad I had a gap between it and the wall. Perfect to slide my tile behind it. I inherited a mess. Not sure if they owned a tape or a level. Finished trimming it out today and it's looking pretty good. Stove, electric trim, and final touches next week. I'll take a pic when done

Reactions: JM4CY and NWICY

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Thank you! Built in 1899. I’ve only done a little research on the history so far. All I know is 2 people have died in our house (natural causes from what I can tell).

The place was owned by the same couple from the mid-70s until the early 2010s. It has changed hands every few years since then with people just kind of living in it and not maintaining it.

That couple who owned it for 40 years kept almost everything original. All the original millwork is there including several 2” thick solid oak pocket doors. Some of the original flooring is gone.

It will be a grand old gal when I’m done with it. But that may take me 20 years…
With Blythe in your username have an Indianola connection somehow?

Reactions: throwittoblythe

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Self leveling clips make laying tile so easy. Threw the floor down by the subway kitchen today, and most the balusters sanded and refinished. Post pics on the staircase tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20231024_180421.jpg
    20231024_180421.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Thank you.

View attachment 118501
How are the soft closers working for you? There's a plastic clip on the catch that keeps snapping on the one's I've installed.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
How are the soft closers working for you? There's a plastic clip on the catch that keeps snapping on the one's I've installed.

No soft closer on that door. Just the supplied metal/rubber stoppers. I haven’t heard from them saying there’s an issue, so I assume all is well with it.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
With Blythe in your username have an Indianola connection somehow?
Stripped most of the balusters, leveled up the landing best I could, and have sanded out most of the staircase. I'm from Indianola. Is your home there, and what part of town? We lived in one of the big old homes on Salem heading toward the high-school. There's some pretty homes a few blocks out from the square.

Attachments

• 20231028_104425.jpg
    20231028_104425.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11