Wrong Type of Offense For a Program Like ISU

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Isu wants to be a running team they just don't have the talent up front for it

I agree Matt Campbell wants a helluva lot more balance between running and passing than we see right now.....Our Offensive Line got pushed around all night....Until the Offensive Line gets better this offense will continue to struggle.

Jacob Park had offensive linemen literally sitting in his lap all night long, until that changes its gonna be a struggle to beat good teams.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree Matt Campbell wants a helluva lot more balance between running and passing than we see right now.....Our Offensive Line got pushed around all night....Until the Offensive Line gets better this offense will continue to struggle.

Jacob Park had offensive linemen literally sitting in his lap all night long, until that changes its gonna be a struggle to beat good teams.
Again, we probably played the best defensive front we will see all season. Texas likely will make most Big 12 teams flustered this season. That doesn't excuse our total lack of play calling or in game adjustments, but its a factor. Still think our line played well when Texas didn't blitz, and was horrible at picking up blitzes.

Reactions: CyBobby

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Whatever offense you run, the big uglies still have to push around the other team's big uglies. I take it you didn't have your eye on the trenches last night?

• Agree
Reactions: ManBearClone

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Hate to say it but you need to build a similar offensive style like KSU or Iowa. Only way ISU will ever win if they are the most physical team on d/o-line with a consistent run game.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Maybe Park has slightly more 'arm talent' than your average QB...maybe. But 1st round draft pick Josh Freeman throwing to 2nd round draft pick Jordy Nelson went 5-7 at a program like K-State under Ron Prince. However, I've seen totally arm talentless QB's succeed in the right system...

This thread makes zero sense.....

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I'm not questioning our "type" of offense, I am questioning it's execution (which includes play calling).

There are still a lot of questions about the Longhorns that need to shake out . . .

What if Texas' opening game against Maryland was an outlier?
What if USC is really good?
What if Texas just has one of the two most dominant d-lines in the conference?

Man, I hope so.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Hate to say it but you need to build a similar offensive style like KSU or Iowa. Only way ISU will ever win if they are the most physical team on d/o-line with a consistent run game.

The offensive scheme doesn't dictate the talent level of your offensive line. It takes recruiting and coaching. With good linemen, any scheme will work.

The K-Gun Buffalo Bills had one of the best offensive lines of the 90s, and they were a prolific passing offense. What a lot of people don't remember though is that they also were usually the top ranked rushing offense every year.

Yes, you can run the ball effectively, even dominantly, with a spread offense. With a back like David Montgomery, we can do it. We just need to shore up our line.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm not questioning our "type" of offense, I am questioning it's execution (which includes play calling).

There are still a lot of questions about the Longhorns that need to shake out . . .

What if Texas' opening game against Maryland was an outlier?
What if USC is really good?
What if Texas just has one of the two most dominant d-lines in the conference?

Man, I hope so.
Maryland was an outlier, particularly after Maryland lost their two QBs.

Due to our line I don't think our offense isn't as good as it last looked against creampuffs, but we'll be better. We had a couple key players not play well and UT is talented. If our defense improves on 3rd down we'll have a chance most games.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Its like this year after year after year after year. We need better OLine. This trend has got to stop sometime. Its a broken record, "we don't have the horses on the OLine to be successful". Well I know its only year 2 with this staff, but I sure hope they do something with this OLine, otherwise it is going to be Ground Hog day every year.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Would much rather see Lanning at QB on every 3rd and 1. Or Montgomery back there taking a direct snap.

Other teams convert 90% of their 3rd and short yardage against us. Seems like we only pick up the first down 25% of the time.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It was a pefect example of a BYE week hurting a team and a team coming out completely flat offensively and not adjusting to what defense was giving. It was worst game play calling we've seen from Manning. Terrible halftime adjustments..just awful.

Defense played well mostly with the acception of one drive really. Defense played more than well enough to win this game.

If the defense continues to play this way we will win more games.

The announces were embarrassingly awful..How many ISU players do u not know? They had absolutely no clue that the D line is prob ISU strength right now..

And running a 3-4 most of the game was atrocious decion IMO...at least on 3rd down bring heat and TX prob doesnt score any points honestly.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Manning is overblown as anything. Park saw the longhorn logo and crapped his undies. Pathetic display by the offense - it was offensive! CMC spouts crap about process and culture - try winning some damn games and keep your philosophy lingo to yourself! Excuses are tiring and your team was not ready and your coaches blew all night. Defense showed up to save bacon - try a field goal when inside the 40! Innovative enough? Charlie Brown football - always a drop shoe nutpunch with this team.
My concern is that we pretty much quit running wide, quit on swing passes, never had time to throw a deep ball, and seemed to be dictated to what plays we could run. And we had few receivers open.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Would much rather see Lanning at QB on every 3rd and 1. Or Montgomery back there taking a direct snap.

Other teams convert 90% of their 3rd and short yardage against us. Seems like we only pick up the first down 25% of the time.

I've been thinking about why not use Montgomery wildcat since he has QB experience anyway.

With Lanning leading the team in tackles or close to it, maybe his package doesn't make sense but I have to think wildcat with Montgomery would be even better for running and still have the random pass play. Lazard was held on the one pass play they tried with him last night but it's understandable it didn't get called because it looked like a running play.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
The offensive scheme doesn't dictate the talent level of your offensive line. It takes recruiting and coaching. With good linemen, any scheme will work.

The K-Gun Buffalo Bills had one of the best offensive lines of the 90s, and they were a prolific passing offense. What a lot of people don't remember though is that they also were usually the top ranked rushing offense every year.

Yes, you can run the ball effectively, even dominantly, with a spread offense. With a back like David Montgomery, we can do it. We just need to shore up our line.
We just don't have the depth to keep fresh bodies out there. This is a long season and having your D out there for 40+ minutes a game=disaster.