WWAD?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I agree. Our older posts are easy to root for, but they just don't get the job done against upper tier competition - they lack both athleticism and skill. Our rivals to the east "went rogue" and uninvited a couple of players to return - I've come to the conclusion ISU could (and probably should) follow suit to open scholarships. Nice teams finish second...

I know skilled posts are a rarity in women's basketball, but ISU should make this the portal priority, in hopes it might sway Ashley to return.

I also think they need to make Audi Crooks THE recruiting priority; when size and skill pops up in our back yard, we must do everything possible to acquire it.

Who did Iowa dump?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I will root for her if she is a Cyclone, but I really think she's going to struggle at the high major level no matter where she ends up. I've watched her games down in DSM the last two years and she is great in the half court offensively but just can't play in transition at all. Bill would have to change his entire philosophy. And I'd be very curious to see how she'd play when other teams have someone her height that can check her.

My opinion on her recruitment is the exact same as Xavier Foster's recruitment. If we land her, cool, hope she proves me wrong. If we don't, I don't think it's a major loss at all

I think she has the potential to be the Victor Alexander of ISU WBB. Anyone that remember the Big Vic era will know what I mean.

Reactions: jay moe and ICCYFAN

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Who did Iowa dump?
Reportedly Tomi Taiwo & Logan Cook - role playing contributors who can be upgraded.

There's a New World Order emerging via the transfer portal and "standing pat" isn't good enough when you're trying to convince your accomplished All American to return for a "bonus" year.

For those who say finding an athletic post is an unreasonable expectation, I submit KU's Taiyanna Jackson, a 6'5 athlete who can score and block shots. I believe KU found her in the Junior College ranks.

Assuming we could persuade Ashley to return, we have four very nice returning starters (Ryan, Lexi, Dyew) and good guard depth off the bench in MEM & Fritz. Find a portal post to start, sub in developing Izzy (& Vick), and we're better than we were this year. JMHO

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
What we need more than anything is an athletic (I.e. quick, good feet and hands, reaction times) post that is about 6’4” or 6’5” Hope I’m not asking for much
I think this is where Kristin Scott not taking the COVID year hurt the most.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
In regard to KU’s Jackson, here is her interesting path prior to KU:
“Jackson, who originally committed to Ole Miss out of high school, never made it to Oxford. She spent the last two seasons at Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College, where she was the 2019-20 NJCAA Region 14 Freshman of the Year. Last season she led the team to the national championship where it fell 67-60 to Northwest Florida State.”
… an impressive find by KU.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
What will Ashley do? That is now the big question. Will she stay or will she go? From what I’ve read most think she is a first rounder. It would be a non-brainer if WNBA paid like it’s male counterpart. Unlike Bridget’s I just don’t see her game playing that well at the next level yet. Could she work on some things to improve her chances? Getting a masters in education on ISU’s dime could be an attractive fall back when she’s done with pro ball.
Unless she has an educational goal I don't know what else she can accomplish at ISU from a basketball standpoint. I think she moves along. With Russia the way it is right now women's pro hoops is going to be a mess for a few years so that might change the thinking some.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
CW thinks we'll know here today/tomorrow probably. And it could lean our way.

I think it really boils down to if she wants to keep playing. I really don't see her game translating well to the WNBA, there are too few teams and the teams so it's damn tough to stick.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Unless she has an educational goal I don't know what else she can accomplish at ISU from a basketball standpoint. I think she moves along. With Russia the way it is right now women's pro hoops is going to be a mess for a few years so that might change the thinking some.

I believe she completed her student teaching this semester too.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

It was reported by Tommy Birch (I think) that she still needs to complete her student teaching. Also players not still competing need to declare for the WNBA draft by the end of the day today. It does not necessarily mean that we will hear her decision but it has to be made by today.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m not sure how she could have. A student teacher is required to compete x number of days in succession for student teaching. Her playing schedule wouldn’t have permitted that to happen. The only excuses for missing a day is illness or school closing.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I think it really boils down to if she wants to keep playing. I really don't see her game translating well to the WNBA, there are too few teams and the teams so it's damn tough to stick.
I’m not sure her ball handling skills are good enough. Then again they might be very good, considering how much she was fouled when she had the ball

Reactions: cyfanatic

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Apologies for the double posting, but I think is relevant to the comments in this thread regarding recruiting needs... athletic (i.e., quick, good fee and hands, reaction time) post that are 6'4" or taller are rare and the best are likely to be McDonald's All Americans.

Probably need to appreciate the results with the talent we recruit more and celebrate that our women's basketball team is often top 20 in the nation... not a fan of the 'ceiling' references -- as if greater success is easy to achieve -- as we all can see how hard it is to maintain top tier status over time for all but a few programs nationally.

--

South Carolina has 11 McDonald's All Americans on their roster this year! For reference, Maryland (another perennial top 10 team) has had 23 McDonald's All Americans in the past 20 years... and Iowa State has had 1... yes, 1 (Lexi Donarski).

Iowa State runs a system and Fennelly recruits for that system and often over achieves with the talent recruited. He (and his coaching team) seldom recruit players east of the Mississippi River or from the West Coast as he is pragmatic on who he can land. To be a consistent top 10 / Elite Eight, you have to regularly be in top 10 recruiting class rankings (which means, likely getting McDonald's All Americans out of high school to come to Iowa State).

I have been a fan of Iowa State women's basketball since the late 70s and can say unabashedly that this year's team was right up there with the Welle/Taylor/Freese teams in terms of being so much fun to watch. Very appreciative of the women's basketball program achievements over Fennelly's incredible tenure. While it is always the desire to win championships (Big 8/12 and NCAA), let's not lose sight of the great success achieved during these years. Would we like to see this level of success every year? Of course, but let's hope this run of greatness extends as the last runs to the Elite Eight were a decade apart.

Looking forward to next year and wishing Ashley the absolute best -- whether she returns or goes to play professionally. Grateful she is a Cyclone and have great appreciation for what a the role model she has been as one the hardest working players in college basketball (men or women) and in Cyclone history.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Apologies for the double posting, but I think is relevant to the comments in this thread regarding recruiting needs... athletic (i.e., quick, good fee and hands, reaction time) post that are 6'4" or taller are rare and the best are likely to be McDonald's All Americans.

Probably need to appreciate the results with the talent we recruit more and celebrate that our women's basketball team is often top 20 in the nation... not a fan of the 'ceiling' references -- as if greater success is easy to achieve -- as we all can see how hard it is to maintain top tier status over time for all but a few programs nationally.

--

South Carolina has 11 McDonald's All Americans on their roster this year! For reference, Maryland (another perennial top 10 team) has had 23 McDonald's All Americans in the past 20 years... and Iowa State has had 1... yes, 1 (Lexi Donarski).

Iowa State runs a system and Fennelly recruits for that system and often over achieves with the talent recruited. He (and his coaching team) seldom recruit players east of the Mississippi River or from the West Coast as he is pragmatic on who he can land. To be a consistent top 10 / Elite Eight, you have to regularly be in top 10 recruiting class rankings (which means, likely getting McDonald's All Americans out of high school to come to Iowa State).

I have been a fan of Iowa State women's basketball since the late 70s and can say unabashedly that this year's team was right up there with the Welle/Taylor/Freese teams in terms of being so much fun to watch. Very appreciative of the women's basketball program achievements over Fennelly's incredible tenure. While it is always the desire to win championships (Big 8/12 and NCAA), let's not lose sight of the great success achieved during these years. Would we like to see this level of success every year? Of course, but let's hope this run of greatness extends as the last runs to the Elite Eight were a decade apart.

Looking forward to next year and wishing Ashley the absolute best -- whether she returns or goes to play professionally. Grateful she is a Cyclone and have great appreciation for what a the role model she has been as one the hardest working players in college basketball (men or women) and in Cyclone history.
11 McDAAs on the SC roster! Wow.
Do the 'talent' people talk about this when doing their games?

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
I’m not sure how she could have. A student teacher is required to compete x number of days in succession for student teaching. Her playing schedule wouldn’t have permitted that to happen. The only excuses for missing a day is illness or school closing.
I heard during one of the UNI broadcasts that Karli Rucker student taught prior to the basketball season and was going to finish her teaching after the season concluded. I don't know if Ashley was doing something similar or if that is possible. I just know what the game announcer said but know they don't always get the facts correct.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
What we need more than anything is an athletic (I.e. quick, good feet and hands, reaction times) post that is about 6’4” or 6’5” Hope I’m not asking for much

You make it sound as if it's an unattainable goal. It took me all of three minutes to find a portal post who could likely improve our starting five next season.

In the transfer portal right now, 6'3 Aaroneete Vonleh, who just completed her freshman season at Arizona. Per her profile, rated as a four-star recruit and the No. 9 post player in the country by ESPN … A top 100 recruit in the class of 2021 by ESPN.

It sounds as if she's stuck behind three returning "bigs" and a top 10 incoming recruit. Arizona isn't the only team with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to tall skilled young women - some of them are going to hit the portal and I hope ISU will court one (or two) of them! I'd think a post could be swayed by the prospect of helping a top-ten team.

Postscript: "Iron sharpens iron" - If Morgan & Bea want to play, let's make them earn that court time.