WWAD?

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
What will Ashley do? That is now the big question. Will she stay or will she go? From what I’ve read most think she is a first rounder. It would be a non-brainer if WNBA paid like it’s male counterpart. Unlike Bridget’s I just don’t see her game playing that well at the next level yet. Could she work on some things to improve her chances? Getting a masters in education on ISU’s dime could be an attractive fall back when she’s done with pro ball.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Unless she feels that there's some "unfinished business" then I think she's moving on.
Unless she sees an athletic, strong post player transferring in, so she can play more on the wing, I'd go pro. Proud of how well this team does and represents, but even with good pieces returning, it seems like this team has a 'ceiling' without better post play.

Reactions: CloneZone13

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Unless she sees an athletic, strong post player transferring in, so she can play more on the wing, I'd go pro. Proud of how well this team does and represents, but even with good pieces returning, it seems like this team has a 'ceiling' without better post play.

Seems pretty unlikely considering the scarcity of these sport wide and ISU not exactly known as a mecca for top ranked post players even if there were such players in the portal.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Would like to have her back for a final curtain call with what is coming back and the new players coming in we would be dangerous

Reactions: Jimr and exCYtable

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Would like to have her back for a final curtain call with what is coming back and the new players coming in we would be

Unless I am mistaken, we only have one new player coming in and she is a point guard. Backup at best. I believe the others are for 2023. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hope she sticks around another year. I’d like to see Coach Fen run through Ryan more to open Ashley up. Seems like often we would just give her the ball and let her go to work. Worked most of the year, but it’s pretty easy to stop.

4th quarter against creighton, we let Ryan take over and it took a lot of pressure off Ashley

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Unless I am mistaken, we only have one new player coming in and she is a point guard. Backup at best. I believe the others are for 2023. Correct me if I am wrong.
you are correct. You could almost could Fritz as a new player. I’m VERY excited to have her back on the court.

Reactions: VeloClone

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
With Ash not able to just say "I'm back", I'm now at 90:10 that she's played her last game in Cardinal and Gold.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Correct.

However, we are just entering the "2nd recruiting season" for 2022, the portal. Our gets in 2021 didn't loam as huge recruiting coups at the time but both were important rotation players all season, Jordao at post and Diew as situational 4/5 (maybe more by seasons end). Okay, that's a bit of sidebar since the portal won't impact Joens' decision in any meaningful way I can think of.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Correct.

However, we are just entering the "2nd recruiting season" for 2022, the portal. Our gets in 2021 didn't loam as huge recruiting coups at the time but both were important rotation players all season, Jordao at post and Diew as situational 4/5 (maybe more by seasons end). Okay, that's a bit of sidebar since the portal won't impact Joens' decision in any meaningful way I can think of.

Agree - It won't impact Joens' decision but would affect what they look for in the portal.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Unless she sees an athletic, strong post player transferring in, I'd go pro.
I agree. Our older posts are easy to root for, but they just don't get the job done against upper tier competition - they lack both athleticism and skill. Our rivals to the east "went rogue" and uninvited a couple of players to return - I've come to the conclusion ISU could (and probably should) follow suit to open scholarships. Nice teams finish second...

I know skilled posts are a rarity in women's basketball, but ISU should make this the portal priority, in hopes it might sway Ashley to return.

I also think they need to make Audi Crooks THE recruiting priority; when size and skill pops up in our back yard, we must do everything possible to acquire it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I agree. Our older posts are easy to root for, but they just don't get the job done against upper tier competition - they lack both athleticism and skill. Our rivals to the east "went rogue" and uninvited a couple of players to return - I've come to the conclusion ISU could (and probably should) follow suit to open scholarships. Nice teams finish second...

I know skilled posts are a rarity in women's basketball, but ISU should make this the portal priority, in hopes it might sway Ashley to return.

I also think they need to make Audi Crooks THE recruiting priority; when size and skill pops up in our back yard, we must do everything possible to acquire it.
I will root for her if she is a Cyclone, but I really think she's going to struggle at the high major level no matter where she ends up. I've watched her games down in DSM the last two years and she is great in the half court offensively but just can't play in transition at all. Bill would have to change his entire philosophy. And I'd be very curious to see how she'd play when other teams have someone her height that can check her.

My opinion on her recruitment is the exact same as Xavier Foster's recruitment. If we land her, cool, hope she proves me wrong. If we don't, I don't think it's a major loss at all

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I will root for her if she is a Cyclone, but I really think she's going to struggle at the high major level no matter where she ends up. I've watched her games down in DSM the last two years and she is great in the half court offensively but just can't play in transition at all. Bill would have to change his entire philosophy. And I'd be very curious to see how she'd play when other teams have someone her height that can check her.

My opinion on her recruitment is the exact same as Xavier Foster's recruitment. If we land her, cool, hope she proves me wrong. If we don't, I don't think it's a major loss at all
What we need more than anything is an athletic (I.e. quick, good feet and hands, reaction times) post that is about 6’4” or 6’5” Hope I’m not asking for much