WWAD?

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
You make it sound as if it's an unattainable goal. It took me all of three minutes to find a portal post who could likely improve our starting five next season.

In the transfer portal right now, 6'3 Aaroneete Vonleh, who just completed her freshman season at Arizona. Per her profile, rated as a four-star recruit and the No. 9 post player in the country by ESPN … A top 100 recruit in the class of 2021 by ESPN.

It sounds as if she's stuck behind three returning "bigs" and a top 10 incoming recruit. Arizona isn't the only team with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to tall skilled young women - some of them are going to hit the portal and I hope ISU will court one (or two) of them! I'd think a post could be swayed by the prospect of helping a top-ten team.

Postscript: "Iron sharpens iron" - If Morgan & Bea want to play, let's make them earn that court time.

Arizona has 4 players entering the transfer portal - see notes on Vonieh: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/2022/...tered-transfer-portal-love-erdogan-vonleh-asi

Voneih was Oregon Gatorade Player of the Year in 2021 - very impressive high school stats - "The 6-foot-4 center averaged 28.6 points, 10.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game while shooting 71.1 percent from the floor": https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...arizona-wildcats-womens-basketball-recruiting

[She has all the post attributes previously noted: "What we need more than anything is an athletic (I.e. quick, good feet and hands, reaction times) post that is about 6’4” or 6’5”]

Maybe we need a 2022-23 Portal Transfer Watch Thread?

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclad and ICCYFAN

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Addy Brown's older sister, Kennedy, is a 6'6 (former McDonald's All American) who suffered a devastating ACL tear a couple years ago; she's played two complete seasons. She's playing second or third fiddle on an Oregon State team which just finished 17-14. I don't know why she doesn't have better stats, but you can't teach 6'6 and she might be interested in joining a top ten team with the goal of playing with her sister. Note: She's not in the transfer portal, but I don't think it'd break any NCAA rules if little sis suggested she move closer to home! As I see it, Kennedy Brown might have three remaining years depending on how that COVID freebie is interpreted.

Like I said earlier, with Ashley's return, it's time to go rogue and hire a couple mercenaries in search of that elusive title!!!

OK, I'll stop now and get back to work...

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

17 pages of transfer portal.
Pitt - Rita Igbokwe - 6'4 - JR Center - Not a prodigious scorer at 6 points / game, but strong rebounder and effective shot blocker in a P5 conference.

If she can make a layup and protect the rim a little, holding ground against these big girls from Texas and Baylor, I'd take her!

Reactions: Cyclad

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think some of you are forgetting that the player also has to agree to come to Iowa State. I can look at a list also and say yes to you, you, you and you. That by no means they have interest in ISU. If you do not think CBF is looking for an athletic 6'5" post who can score, rebound, block shots and run the floor you are naive.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I think some of you are forgetting that the player also has to agree to come to Iowa State. I can look at a list also and say yes to you, you, you and you. That by no means they have interest in ISU. If you do not think CBF is looking for an athletic 6'5" post who can score, rebound, block shots and run the floor you are naive.
I'm sure he is but also think he may tend to go to the more "finesse"/skill style player where if we want to get to the next level I think we need to get some post players that are physical. I know some of our fans may not like the S. Carolina, Texas, LSU, Baylor, etc style of ball but those are the type of teams you are going to need to beat if you want to get to an Elite 8 and beyond.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Arizona has 4 players entering the transfer portal - see notes on Vonieh: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/2022/...tered-transfer-portal-love-erdogan-vonleh-asi

Voneih was Oregon Gatorade Player of the Year in 2021 - very impressive high school stats - "The 6-foot-4 center averaged 28.6 points, 10.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game while shooting 71.1 percent from the floor": https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...arizona-wildcats-womens-basketball-recruiting

[She has all the post attributes previously noted: "What we need more than anything is an athletic (I.e. quick, good feet and hands, reaction times) post that is about 6’4” or 6’5”]

Maybe we need a 2022-23 Portal Transfer Watch Thread?
I want her…missing piece of the puzzle

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Ashley coming back makes me think there are 1or 2 transfers coming in to fortify the team muscle to matchup with the Baylor’s and Bevoettes.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
You seem to be a nice guy, but this is an entry for Captain Obvious post of the year. Of course we know girls from Pitt, Oregon State and Arizona probably wouldn't have interest in ISU. I'm just illustrating there are players out there, looking for a new team, who fit our needs. Also, these are unusual times and ISU has something to sell we've never had before!

With no changes to our roster at all, ISU is a pre-season top ten team. We have a returning all conference point guard who just set the school assist record, a returning all conference shooting guard (McDonald's All American in HS) and a two-time All American small forward. We are a strong post away from challenging for conference and dare to dream, national titles.

I never said anything about scoring and running the floor. I want a post who can defend, block shots and rebound. She needs to hold her own against the herd of Bevoettes, whatever Baylor brings in on transfer this year and the KSU gal. If she can make a layup off a nifty Emily Ryan feed or put back an offensive rebound without bringing the ball down and dribbling, we're already ahead!

I don't pretend to know what Bill's strategy for recruiting posts is, but it's never struck me as a priority and we've rarely had a "banger". It's time to go get a Spartan mercenary.... JMHO

• Winner

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Kennedy Brown would be a homerun but she has to hit the market, first. Looks like defensively, she controls the post well and blocks shots well. Not a ton of points offensively, but she took 60 threes last year. She’s be able to continue spacing the floor so Emily, Ashley, and Lexi still can post up smaller defenders or force a double and have someone open for 3. Got my fingers crossed she wants to come closer to home

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
You seem to be a nice guy, but this is an entry for Captain Obvious post of the year. Of course we know girls from Pitt, Oregon State and Arizona probably wouldn't have interest in ISU. I'm just illustrating there are players out there, looking for a new team, who fit our needs. Also, these are unusual times and ISU has something to sell we've never had before!

With no changes to our roster at all, ISU is a pre-season top ten team. We have a returning all conference point guard who just set the school assist record, a returning all conference shooting guard (McDonald's All American in HS) and a two-time All American small forward. We are a strong post away from challenging for conference and dare to dream, national titles.

I never said anything about scoring and running the floor. I want a post who can defend, block shots and rebound. She needs to hold her own against the herd of Bevoettes, whatever Baylor brings in on transfer this year and the KSU gal. If she can make a layup off a nifty Emily Ryan feed or put back an offensive rebound without bringing the ball down and dribbling, we're already ahead!

I don't pretend to know what Bill's strategy for recruiting posts is, but it's never struck me as a priority and we've rarely had a "banger". It's time to go get a Spartan mercenary.... JMHO
I am not saying don't go after them, as I am sure CBF is looking, I think it just is not as easy as we want it to be.

The team returning plays a certain style, can it be tweeked, sure it can but the teams Style is not going to drastically change for one Physical post. It can be adapted but thus team is not going from a 3pt oriented team to a physical half court offense.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Apologies for the double posting, but I think is relevant to the comments in this thread regarding recruiting needs... athletic (i.e., quick, good fee and hands, reaction time) post that are 6'4" or taller are rare and the best are likely to be McDonald's All Americans.

Probably need to appreciate the results with the talent we recruit more and celebrate that our women's basketball team is often top 20 in the nation... not a fan of the 'ceiling' references -- as if greater success is easy to achieve -- as we all can see how hard it is to maintain top tier status over time for all but a few programs nationally.

--

South Carolina has 11 McDonald's All Americans on their roster this year! For reference, Maryland (another perennial top 10 team) has had 23 McDonald's All Americans in the past 20 years... and Iowa State has had 1... yes, 1 (Lexi Donarski).

Iowa State runs a system and Fennelly recruits for that system and often over achieves with the talent recruited. He (and his coaching team) seldom recruit players east of the Mississippi River or from the West Coast as he is pragmatic on who he can land. To be a consistent top 10 / Elite Eight, you have to regularly be in top 10 recruiting class rankings (which means, likely getting McDonald's All Americans out of high school to come to Iowa State).

I have been a fan of Iowa State women's basketball since the late 70s and can say unabashedly that this year's team was right up there with the Welle/Taylor/Freese teams in terms of being so much fun to watch. Very appreciative of the women's basketball program achievements over Fennelly's incredible tenure. While it is always the desire to win championships (Big 8/12 and NCAA), let's not lose sight of the great success achieved during these years. Would we like to see this level of success every year? Of course, but let's hope this run of greatness extends as the last runs to the Elite Eight were a decade apart.

Looking forward to next year and wishing Ashley the absolute best -- whether she returns or goes to play professionally. Grateful she is a Cyclone and have great appreciation for what a the role model she has been as one the hardest working players in college basketball (men or women) and in Cyclone history.
While true this ISU team, which is one of the better we have had in the past two decades, got drilled by Creighton. How many HS AA are on that roster? Other mid tier programs break through on occasion. ISU seems not to.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
While true this ISU team, which is one of the better we have had in the past two decades, got drilled by Creighton. How many HS AA are on that roster? Other mid tier programs break through on occasion. ISU seems not to.
I don't know what qualifies as a "break through" but the team was in the Sweet Sixteen this year.

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I think this is where Kristin Scott not taking the COVID year hurt the most.

I agree with this 100%. There is currently nobody in the program who will ever fill this need. The younger players are more of the same. Need some athletes - do not care if they can shoot, other than a layup.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I agree with this 100%. There is currently nobody in the program who will ever fill this need. The younger players are more of the same. Need some athletes - do not care if they can shoot, other than a layup.
Izzy Zingaro passes the eye test for a Big XII post, at a "big" 6'4 with long arms and a solid body. In her limited court time, she's shown "glimpses" of potential. My team insider tells me there are a couple of things working against her. First, she's reportedly often in CBF's doghouse for not running the plays properly or just not being where she's supposed to be. Next, her family is reportedly affluent and she has a questionable work ethic - just doesn't have the "fire" it takes to be great.

Frankly, I think both these issues can be overcome as she matures - she was only 17 when she joined the team, so she's still very young.

I also liked what I saw from Maggie Vick in her limited court time. She seemed to know what she was doing, moved relatively well and played with enthusiasm. On the down side, she doesn't look like she's 6'3 - she appears significantly smaller than Zingaro when they're side by side.

Having said this, if we have the opportunity to add a reasonably skilled "banger" or defensive rebounding shot blocker, I say we move with reckless abandon. Time waits for no woman, and our time is NOW!!!

• Agree
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Izzy Zingaro passes the eye test for a Big XII post, at a "big" 6'4 with long arms and a solid body. In her limited court time, she's shown "glimpses" of potential. My team insider tells me there are a couple of things working against her. First, she's reportedly often in CBF's doghouse for not running the plays properly or just not being where she's supposed to be. Next, her family is reportedly affluent and she has a questionable work ethic - just doesn't have the "fire" it takes to be great.

Frankly, I think both these issues can be overcome as she matures - she was only 17 when she joined the team, so she's still very young.

I also liked what I saw from Maggie Vick in her limited court time. She seemed to know what she was doing, moved relatively well and played with enthusiasm. On the down side, she doesn't look like she's 6'3 - she appears significantly smaller than Zingaro when they're side by side.

Having said this, if we have the opportunity to add a reasonably skilled "banger" or defensive rebounding shot blocker, I say we move with reckless abandon. Time waits for no woman, and our time is NOW!!!
Hope you are correct. I do not see it. We need a tall athletic center. I do not see the height, footwork or speed/quickness necessary in any of our centers.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

I keep hoping Izzy will bloom. Three years to do it, but sooner is better. Coach Fen has 1:1 meetings with each player after the season. I assume he sets expectations and goals. This will be a good test to see if Izzy takes the challenge head on.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I keep seeing people calling for the staff to go to the portal and get a big to replace our current players. This is not a quick fix as you need to find a fr or soph who can give us 2-3 years as it will take a yera just to get comfortable in our system. This player would need to get here as soon as possible to get to know our players and to see if she fits in as chemistry is very important (remember the issue with the one we do not talk about). And the question I would ask is what do you expect from this new post?I looked at the stats for the two teams that beat us and the team with what was considered by many as the best post and compared some numbers with our rotation. Points scored by the post Lee KS 771, our group 519, BU Egbo 384, tx Ebo 298. Rebounds ISU 394, Lee KS 391, BU Egbo 295 and tx Ebo 257. These numbers are for the players listed as a center/5 and tx and BU at times went small and used a 4 in place of their 5 but just using the center/5 we did quite well against them.

Reactions: CloneSt8