YET ANOTHER ARREST.....

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Re: Iowa Football - Funny Stuff!

Couldn't be that in a school of 30,000 students (half of them being from Illinois), that there is another Matt Roth that *gasp* drinks?

Well, they aren't going to basketball games so they have to do something.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

Considering Matt Roth lives in Miami, and the address of that person is in Illinois (and consequently a different town than where Roth came from), I'll believe it when somebody with a little more credibility than the above poster says something.

Couldn't be that in a school of 30,000 students (half of them being from Illinois), that there is another Matt Roth that *gasp* drinks?

It was a public intoxication charge.

Considering that Oakbrook, IL, listed as the offenders address, is Matt Roth's hometown, I'd say there is a decent probability that it is the same Matt Roth, but that's just me.

Note: (Villa Park is listed as his hometown officially, but Oakbrook and Villa Park are adjacent to each other in the Chicago suburbs)

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

I love you Hawk fans...Always trying to downplay it, twist it or talk your way out of it when whatever it is happens to one of your own. But by golly, if that happens to a Cyclone or someone else it seems to be a MUCH different story...
Down play what? He was drunk in public. UH OH! It has happened to ISU players, and it's not that big of a deal. It would be nice if it didn't happen, but public intox isn't a terrible charge.

if you knew the guy off the field, you wouldn't like him...it's not an anti-hawk thing bcuz Nate Kaeding is a GREAT guy. Matt Roth is a DB in every sense of the word.

roth was back in my hometown once and had a pizza delivered to a friends house he was drinkin at and he didn't pay the delivery guy and said something to the tune of "do you know who the **** i am?" and slammed the door on the kid. He payed later when the restaurants' cars showed up and didn't get in any legal trouble, but the guy is just a arrogant DB - plain and simple.

I don't really want to know half of my favorite players. Roth has that look about him like he would be a "DB", so I'll just watch him from afar. And yes, that does sound creepy stalker-ish.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines

EIU has been promoting an appearance/autograph session at today's home basketball game. Scheduled to appear are former Hawkeyes and current NFL players Nate Kaeding and Matt Roth.

Now Matt Roth is unable to attend today's session. Why, you ask? Because he arrived in Iowa City a day early, decided to party on Friday night, and of course ended up in jail. Pretty funny stuff -- you couldn't make it up if you tried!

What a great setup Monty, that post can"t be beat! I wonder if Matt thought he was 21 again and poked some defenseless college kid in the eye with a pool cue or beat the tar out of his roommate and left him for keep on the front lawn? Oh those were the days Matt!

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

I don't really want to know half of my favorite players. Roth has that look about him like he would be a "DB", so I'll just watch him from afar. And yes, that does sound creepy stalker-ish.

lol that's funny stuff.

I get what you are saying about "from afar," but my opinion of my favorite players can change by their actions. Someone like Ellis Hobbs and Rahshon Clark are really great stand up guys and its easy for me to root for. It's a lot harder to root for Berryman or Mike Taylor bcuz of things they did.

I am a huge Cowboys fan and always have been and Michael Irvin was always up there as one of my fav players, but with his off the field issues with weed, cocaine, etc. he is not even close to my favorites in Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith who are both great individuals as well as they were athletes. might just be my kinda thing, but my opinions on people will change by things they do. I don't think I would be able to stay behind someone like Michael Vick and be a fan of his after everything that happened (I wasn't really a fan of his, but had I been before the incident I definitely would have burnt any jersey of his or anything like that I had.)

balken

Apr 14, 2006

SouthernHawk's defense strategy for Hawk stupidity:
  1. Deny. (There are hundreds of Matt Roths at Iowa, who knows which one it was.)
  2. Downplay. (It was just public intox. He's of age and everyone has at least one public intox.)
  3. Glorify. (He was a great player, I bet it was the best public intox EVER!)
  4. Misdirect. (There must be 50 Cyclones with a public intox for everyone that a Hawk has received.)
Some political campaigns may be able to use your help.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

1. Deny. (There are hundreds of Matt Roths at Iowa, who knows which one it was.)
  2. Downplay. (It was just public intox. He's of age and everyone has at least one public intox.)
  4. Misdirect. (There must be 50 Cyclones with a public intox for everyone that a Hawk has received.)

Pretty accurate.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC

Spot on.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota

Full of win.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

lol that's funny stuff.

I get what you are saying about "from afar," but my opinion of my favorite players can change by their actions. Someone like Ellis Hobbs and Rahshon Clark are really great stand up guys and its easy for me to root for. It's a lot harder to root for Berryman or Mike Taylor bcuz of things they did.

I am a huge Cowboys fan and always have been and Michael Irvin was always up there as one of my fav players, but with his off the field issues with weed, cocaine, etc. he is not even close to my favorites in Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith who are both great individuals as well as they were athletes. might just be my kinda thing, but my opinions on people will change by things they do. I don't think I would be able to stay behind someone like Michael Vick and be a fan of his after everything that happened (I wasn't really a fan of his, but had I been before the incident I definitely would have burnt any jersey of his or anything like that I had.)

And I can agree with that as well. Of course, Roth never really did anything "bad", but I can see where his personality may not mesh well with most people.

Of course, if it turns out that Roth went out and beat a bunch of school children, I'd hope he broke both of his legs while doing a Heisman pose or something.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

I didn't bring up ISU - that was another poster.

There was another guy at Iowa with my name (from Illinois), so it's not that far fetched.

He was my favorite player - that doesn't exclude him from being an a$$.

And it was just a public intox charge. Funny, but hardly anything to the effect of "OMG! LOOK AT ALL OF THOSE IOWA CONVICTS!"

I love how this is becoming a thread about me, when all I'm doing is trying to have a discussion about Roth. I'm flattered. Really, I am.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006

I am a huge Cowboys fan and always have been and Michael Irvin was always up there as one of my fav players, but with his off the field issues with weed, cocaine, etc. he is not even close to my favorites in Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith who are both great individuals as well as they were athletes.

As a fellow Cowboys fan, still mourning from the choke, I agree. I'm the leader of Nate Newton's fan club, however.

retzmountn

Aug 16, 2006
Runnells, IA

If Matt were still on the Iowa squad, that would be what, their 15 player to get in trouble since last Fall???

SH, sometimes your comments on this board about EIU make me wonder if your aren't intoxicated. :biglaugh:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

My question is:

who was to pick up his tab for being at IC?

Was he too? or was it the alumni assoc? athletic department?

If it is anything from any type of UofI fund.. that would make it difficult for the UofI to turn their head. And then it is a culture the UofI creates and allows.

-keep

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

If Matt were still on the Iowa squad, that would be what, their 15 player to get in trouble since last Fall???

I think they've had 15 arrests (not counting Matt since he's not on the team anymore. I don't think it's quite 15 players since one or two of their brainiacs have managed to be arrested more than once.

My question is:

who was to pick up his tab for being at IC?

Was he too? or was it the alumni assoc? athletic department?

If it is anything from any type of UofI fund.. that would make it difficult for the UofI to turn their head.

I don't think it really matters, I doubt he'll be invited back to alumni events any time soon. On the other hand it is Iowa football, so maybe they'll give him an award or something.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

I didn't bring up ISU - that was another poster.
Of course not. I applaud your restraint by rationalizing only when someone made a passing reference to ISU.

There was another guy at Iowa with my name (from Illinois), so it's not that far fetched.
So, clearly there must be several other Matt Roths. By the way, I didn't realize SouthernHawk was a common name.

He was my favorite player - that doesn't exclude him from being an a$$.
SH: He may be an a$$, but he's my favorite a$$ and his public intox was SWEET!

And it was just a public intox charge. Funny, but hardly anything to the effect of "OMG! LOOK AT ALL OF THOSE IOWA CONVICTS!"
SH: Public intox is nothing, my man Matt Roth can do way better. Next time, baby!

I love how this is becoming a thread about me, when all I'm doing is trying to have a discussion about Roth. I'm flattered. Really, I am.
We all know that Iowa City and Hawk fans are the center of the universe. I believe Aristotle proved that years ago. We are simply paying the homage that you so rightfully deserve by choosing to become a bandwagon Hawk fan.

Last edited:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

This is really really funny. You'd think the guy would be a little careful drinking too much considering he's going to make a public appearance the next day.

SouthernHawk, you can try to win the battle, but you'll lose the war on this one. I'd cut your losses and move onto the next thread.:yes:

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA

It almost seems like you can take a great kid, put him in a hawk jersey, and he instantly becomes a criminal

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron