You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Other way around.

Flying Burrito started in Fall '04 on Lincoln Way, between Sheldon and Hyland.

They changed to Fighting Burrito in '09 after a trademark dispute from another "Flying Burrito" in a different state.

Fighting Burrito then moved to Welch in '10 and closed in '19.
I never knew Fighting, but I wasn't beyond being completely mistaken that I misremembered it as Flying.

And Flying took over the Chinese Homestyle space on Lincoln didn't it?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
And despite all my comments on the thread, I'll go old school with my vote in honor of my folks.

The Cave Inn

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Solar Inn, S Duff (great food)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I never knew Fighting, but I wasn't beyond being completely mistaken that I misremembered it as Flying.

And Flying took over the Chinese Homestyle space on Lincoln didn't it?

Separate buildings/fronts.

Gas station || CHC || Flying Burrito (and Nikki Nails)

After Flying Burrito moved, Arcadia coffee shop (pictured) went in.

2709LW-2013.jpg

Reactions: Ingynow

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The Broiler, far, far West Lincoln Way (HW 30)(great food, free homemade biscuits with meal)
So I'm assuming The Broiler is permanently closed now? Not sure of that.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think the the skin on the roof of my mouth is just about grown back from a Lucullan's upside down pizza. Thank god for the fish bowl of booze to numb the pain.
Fun fact my friends and I had a end of year type party at Lucullans. We were asked to not come back.

Reactions: 2122

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The Pokey Stix thread got me thinking about all the places I miss in Ames that have closed. What are yours?

Off the top of my head:

Gumby's: Pokey Stix and Pepperoni rolls
HomeTeam Pizza: Dirt cheap drunk food, 3 mediums for $10. Plus they had a cheesy commercial shot at Sterling.
Angies: Didn't seem to last long but that was a great after bar spot, always packed, good breakfast.
La Fuente: Margarita Challenge! Solid mexican food, although El Azteca topped it when they came to town.
The Truck Stop: Great food just a little out of the way. Cyclone Slam ftw
Battles: The original location, went downhill a bit once they moved to Welch and owner died.

Elwood Drive: Screw University Boulevard.
That Place, The Green Pepper, Cave Inn ... oh wait, those places were busy in the 1970s.
Has anybody resurrected this old thread yet? ^

Green Pepper Pizza
And despite all my comments on the thread, I'll go old school with my vote in honor of my folks.

The Cave Inn
Welch Ave? 122, 124, 126 Welch Ave? If so, I'm not sure I went in there much. Guess I missed out.

Mar 21, 2021

The Cave Inn
I once heard that the Cave Inn got its name because a wall there once caved in... True?
Or maybe it was Hole in the Wall that got its name that way....

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I once heard that the Cave Inn got its name because a wall there once caved in... True?
Or maybe it was Hole in the Wall that got its name that way....
it's true.
it collapsed into or when the firehouse was built? Trying to recall from my dad telling me. He was a manager there back in the day

Reactions: 2122

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Don't want to start a new thread. What about if you got a non restaurant business back. 2 that I miss in that category are the J4 Rollaway and the drive in that was in West Ames.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
The Green Pepper on Friday night
The Grove Cafe on Saturday morning of Cyclone football game days
The Fjord on Saturday night (technically in Huxley)
Spudnut on Sunday morning (but Mr Donut was also good)
Boyd’s Dairy any time
Working at Pizza Pit as a delivery driver was fun

Reactions: t-noah

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
If at any point in the night I went to Cafe beaudelaire and then had flying burrito, it was for sure going to be a puke night.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't want to start a new thread. What about if you got a non restaurant business back. 2 that I miss in that category are the J4 Rollaway and the drive in that was in West Ames.
Hastings was a unique store.
Litzels Lumber was handy if you lived just West of Campus.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Not a business, but I miss the roller hockey rink they had out by Towers. Didn't seem like it was there long before it was redeveloped.

Didn't the golf course out by Ada Hayden go away too? The one where you could get like a round, cart, and a hotdog for super cheap?

I also miss Friley Windows and Dungeon Dining halls. Just a great atmosphere compared to the newer models.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not a business, but I miss the roller hockey rink they had out by Towers. Didn't seem like it was there long before it was redeveloped.

Didn't the golf course out by Ada Hayden go away too? The one where you could get like a round, cart, and a hotdog for super cheap?

I also miss Friley Windows and Dungeon Dining halls. Just a great atmosphere compared to the newer models.
The Oaks Golf Course is a multi acre housing division.

• Angry
Reactions: Farnsworth

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Didn't realize Hastings was gone. Yes I liked that place.

Not really Ames centric but I do miss actual malls being lively. Jordan Creek is, but everything else is dead. I have no clue the status of North Grand Mall nowadays.
Hastings was really cool. Like Best Buy meets Barnes and Noble meets Spencer's.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Didn't realize Hastings was gone. Yes I liked that place.

Not really Ames centric but I do miss actual malls being lively. Jordan Creek is, but everything else is dead. I have no clue the status of North Grand Mall nowadays.

From things I've heard North Grand Mall is a shell of it's former self.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY