You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
The Oaks Golf Course is a multi acre housing division.
There are only about 4-5 big houses on the course last I knew. I worked on one of them 12-13 (or more) years ago.

I don’t know if it has been mentioned yet, but I really liked the lunch specials at Tradewinds downtown. Unhealthy food in unhealthy quantities, and always a random movie on during lunch hour with no discretion toward nudity or language. Good times.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Probably b4 most of your times, but there was a quaint little Italian place on SE 16th St. called Tony's Little Italy.

It was in a small bldg. about where the south entrance to Hickory Park is now. Straight out of Lady and the Tramp with red & white checkered tablecloths, low lights, candles in wine bottles that are probably against fire codes now and the biggest salt water aquarium I'd ever seen at the time.

The food was great, as well. Meatballs as big as your fist, and one piece of lasagna could feed a family.

There was also a sandwich shop where LIttle Taipei is now that had the best Philly Cheese Steaks I've ever tasted, (I've never been to Philadelphia, though).
I remember Tony's very well. They also had great pizzas; when you ordered take-out, their large was so large that it was double-stacked in a large pizza box.

Separate from the great food, I think I remember a cement frog near their front door that had occasional mis-adventures.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I remember Tony's very well. They also had great pizzas; when you ordered take-out, their large was so large that it was double-stacked in a large pizza box.

Separate from the great food, I think I remember a cement frog near their front door that had occasional mis-adventures.
Soft spot for Tony's The owner was Tony Gaetano. I went to school his son Jeff and he had an older sister Pam. No nostalgia trip the pizza and the meatballs were out of this world.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Anyone know the first bar in campustown? When?
I don't know the name of the first bar in Campus Town but it would have happened about 1968 +/- a year (between my graduation in 66 and my brother's enrollment in 70).

When I entered in 62, liquor-by-the-drink had just been passed and you still had to buy bottles at the state liquor store (the closest being a store in Nevada). There were no bars within a mile of campus due to Mary Greeley's stipulation in her donation to build the hospital that bears her name. After I graduated, someone noted that she had been dead for many years and probably wouldn't mind, or couldn't do anything about it, if there were bars in Campus Town.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
There are only about 4-5 big houses on the course last I knew. I worked on one of them 12-13 (or more) years ago.

I don’t know if it has been mentioned yet, but I really liked the lunch specials at Tradewinds downtown. Unhealthy food in unhealthy quantities, and always a random movie on during lunch hour with no discretion toward nudity or language. Good times.
Their tator tot casserole was awesome. $4.25 for a huge plate full and a drink.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
That one Chinese restaurant on Welch that was south of where People's used to be. Can't remember the name. $5 plates and the plates came out sizzling. Early 2000's.

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022
I could get a case of these beauties for 3.99 View attachment 103647
That would have been pretty high class beer for me while going to ISU. I remember, towards the end of each month, we were down to scrounging around in our pockets and dresser drawers for loose change. We’d go over to the Quik Trip on Chamberlain and get the generic 6 packs ( the white label with the word “beer” printed in black ink). I think they were like 89 cents a 6-pack or something. We would just call it “beer-beer”

• Haha
Reactions: Kinch

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
That would have been pretty high class beer for me while going to ISU. I remember, towards the end of each month, we were down to scrounging around in our pockets and dresser drawers for loose change. We’d go over to the Quik Trip on Chamberlain and get the generic 6 packs ( the white label with the word “beer” printed in black ink). I think they were like 89 cents a 6-pack or something. We would just call it “beer-beer”
My father in law would drink the “light beer” version my wife’s grandmother would call it that Genn- Err-Rick beer. Never brave enough. He eventually went to Strohs

Reactions: Dowwmeow