You Going to See Top Gun: Maverick?

Are you going to watch Top Gun: Maverick in theaters?

• Yes

Votes: 142 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 72 26.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The ten year age difference is most significant because McGillis is post menopausal. She won’t get plastic surgery or dye her hair at this point due to the damage she feels she did in denying who she is with her sexuality. She was brutally raped when she was younger and physically assaulted at an older age. Has lived a difficult life. But I am sure you guys will all look fabulous at 64.
I don't even remember 64.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wife had me go with her last night. I was a “who cares” vote. I would say it was worth whatever the wife paid. Had a light headache going in and the theater was at 11 for volume. Nothing great but not a waste of time. May have been better if I saw more than the shirtless VB scene in the first. TC had to go shirtless again I see. If Connolly is supposed to be a replacement for McGillis, I approve. I never found McGillis attractive in her youth so that is why.

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
Caught the morning show on a IMAX screen. I thought it was great. Good balance of nostalgia without over doing it in my opinion. Less cheesey than the original and more humor as well. Jennifer Connelly is still a fox. Tom Cruise is an underrated actor. He still has the "it" factor of a bonafide movie star. Still a weirdo in real life though.

I would recommend watching the original before hitting up the sequel. It's streaming on Netflix currently.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If I remember correctly he was a second-year surgery resident.

Add 5-6 years to that to become an attending. And no, residencies and fellowships are not like high school or even college where you can test out of things and skip ahead. You have to put in the time.

Which would put him in the... 23ish range.

Confirmed, Days of Thunder is realistic if Nicole Kidman is a once-in-a-century child prodigy.
Have a classmate/neighbor who made medical school after three years undergrad. Summa cum laude, top of her med school, chief resident at a prestigious west coast hospital. Now faculty at Harvard—among other things.

But no, she didn’t start college at 13.

Oh yeah. She’s as good looking as Kidman.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Caught the morning show on a IMAX screen. I thought it was great. Good balance of nostalgia without over doing it in my opinion. Less cheesey than the original and more humor as well. Jennifer Connelly is still a fox. Tom Cruise is an underrated actor. He still has the "it" factor of a bonafide movie star. Still a weirdo in real life though.

I would recommend watching the original before hitting up the sequel. It's streaming on Netflix currently.

Agreed. Really well done.

If I had to compare to the Star Wars sequels, it's like Rogue One which I think was the best post-original trilogy by a long shot.

It actually reminds me a bit of the more recent Mission Impossible movies.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Absolutely incredible. Only nit pick is they should have cranked more volume in from Tom’s P-51 at the end.

Reactions: JBone84

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Have a classmate/neighbor who made medical school after three years undergrad. Summa cum laude, top of her med school, chief resident at a prestigious west coast hospital. Now faculty at Harvard—among other things.

But no, she didn’t start college at 13.

Oh yeah. She’s as good looking as Kidman.
Nope. Pictures.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Both their characters were pretty ridiculous, though.

McGillis was 29 and pretending to be some expert on air combat that senior naval officers deferred to on the matter. Was she a pilot? Did she have combat experience? Nobody knows...

Kidman is a better actress, definitely. Her successful and varied career since then (which still continues, she did great as the Queen Gertrude character in The Northman) proves that. But she was 23 at the time of Days of Thunder and pretending to be a neurosurgeon specializing in brain trauma.

Umm... assuming somebody starts college when they're 18 then...

22-25 = medical school
26-32 = the SEVEN-YEAR residency required to be an attending neurosurgeon
might even add 1-2 research years or a fellowship to this

So you're not an attending in that field until probably your mid-30s if not late-30s. She's too young to be playing that character by a decade at least. Not sure they thought that casting through...

The script just needed an attractive woman for Tom Cruise to boink in both instances.
You watched these movies and that is your takeaway for the unrealistic part of them?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Went lastnight and loved it. It was a fun throwback and had a lot of action and great acting.

Reactions: ruflosn

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Yeah- this thread took a weird turn. The movie exists purely to give the fans what they want. The theater I was in actually cheered. I don’t think I’ve experienced that since LOTR. Top Gun never claimed to be anything more than a popcorn flick. This one I would consider family friendly. Highly recommend.

I saw the original Karate kid in theatres and when Daniel nailed the crane kick. The theatre erupted. It was crazy. Like a real sporting event. I’ll never forget how weird it was when it was over.
People were legit giving each other high fives. Ahhhh the 80’s

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron