You need more snow plows...

cyko42

Feb 7, 2007
Decatur, IL
yes, CF is to blame about the roads being blocked:eek:. I had no problem driving in this weather, but when roads are closed down and traffic coming to a halt on detours, it doesnt really matter what car you drive with.

again, it was a half joking comment, in illinois roads are cleaned almost immediately, the last time i remember schools ever being canceled because of snow was about 6-7 years ago for one day

Where do you live?
Central Illinois got 4 inches today, and just about everything was closed all day. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of schools start late tomorrow cause its going to blow all night.
Where in this magical place (see **** hole) called illinios do you live that they never shut down schools?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
yes, CF is to blame about the roads being blocked:eek:. I had no problem driving in this weather, but when roads are closed down and traffic coming to a halt on detours, it doesnt really matter what car you drive with.

again, it was a half joking comment, in illinois roads are cleaned almost immediately, the last time i remember schools ever being canceled because of snow was about 6-7 years ago for one day

whatever, I lived in Illinois for 3 years during bad winters, and I had to drive to Iowa all the time, and I praised God when I reached the state line. Illinois does excellent on I 90 and 80 to Dekalb, but that's it. I live in WI now, and am down in Chicago and Rockford a lot, and was like, don't they plow their streets and was glad to get back to WI.

Having done winter road maintenance education programming for 3 years, I can tell you that Iowa DOT is on the leading edge of pioneering new winter road maintenance technologies. It doesn't matter where you are, if you are in the middle of the storm the roads will not be clear unless your behind a plow.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That's like going to a place after a flood and saying "you need more sand baggers"

get real

Reactions: CyCrazy

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Marc936, it's pretty darn hard for the road crews to keep up when a second after they make a path, it's drifted shut again. There's a reason why the DOT was pulling plows off the road last night.

If anything, I'd would just assume all the plows were pulled off the road until the winds go down because it's nothing more than a waste of taxpayer money on gas, overtime, etc. to be going over the same roads again and again and again and not make any progress.

Reactions: kingcy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I swear that people in 4x4's never learn and this thread proves it. Getting off of 141 onto 80/35 the first 5 vehicles in the ditch were either SUV's or full size trucks. A short time later I saw 3 flipped over vehicles and one was an F150 4x4, one was a full size SUV, and the other was some small car.

Higher center of gravity, no better on ice, and cocky 4x4 drivers=fail.

It wouldn't have mattered if this guy was in a RAV4, Lamborghini Countach, a prius, or a Hummer H1. If you're in a traffic jam in a big 4wd it does very little besides lets you see what the roofs of other cars look like and maybe help with the little man syndrome.

BTW-My wife drives a small awd SUV and I don't drive it any faster than my Mazda car.

Last edited:

m1trLG2

Feb 1, 2010
Ames
Welcome to Ames. If you think it's bad, check out Iowa City.

Lived in both cities... Ames is MUCH worse about roads when it comes to the snow. The entire state of Iowa sucks though when it comes to plowing. I don't get it. Everyone must have a death wish out here or something. And what is with never putting down salt? Do we like having broken arms? Sorry... it is my biggest pet peeve about this place. Sand does not do ****, throw some damn salt down and save us all a few hospital bills please!