You stay classy hawk fan.....

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
If Iowa and ISU were in the same conference, at least then all the energy we expend obsessing over and chastising the Hawks would be conducive towards an outcome that actually has bearing on our success for the season.

It still has bearing. It's the hawk's Super Bowl! :yes:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I think in state rivalries are generally bigger for the reasons you cited though. In fact, you know it's big when state legislators and other political figures get involved to keep it in tact. It's unfortunate, imo, that both Iowa teams can't be in the same conference.

I agree. Michigan vs. Ohio State is a brutal rivalry.

I just find that instate rivalries are more entertaining overall. I have some friends who are hawk fans (I can't explain why) but for 1 day a year I can't even stand to be around them. People who couldn't careless about ISU or Iowa for the other 11 games in the season care about this one game.

This probably explains why so many problems seem to erupt prior to the game.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Anyone who brings a nice vehicle to that game as an opposing fan on the road deserves what they get. Especially if it has fan plates and flags. You have to know that there is a chance that there will be idiots out there that could vandalize or throw things at it.

I personally won't be going back to IC ever. It's just not worth it. I've been there twice and both times had crap thrown at me and some ahole pick a fight with me...for the sole reason of me wearing an ISU shirt. And this was before the game even started. My wife had food thrown at her in the stands for wearing an ISU shirt (before we were dating) and she's not even a FB fan, so I KNOW she wasn't rooting during the game. I don't know how middle-aged ISU fans or older even go to that game. That's a lot of crap to put up with at that age.

That being said, I know that ISU has some bad fans too that act just as bad. But IC is WAY worse. I'm happy to watch the game on TV when it's on the road. Evidently from the people that show up in Ames, iowa fans must not feel the same way.

I agree with all of this. But, I still make the trip out to IC. Just haven't been in the Stadium since '02

I can understand your frustration with Iowa City and actually watching the game at Kinnick. I was sitting with a Hawkeye friend of mine and his folks. He was currently at U of I and I was at ISU at the time too. I was also there with a friend of ours from ISU too. My friend from Iowa also sat with me at the ISU-Iowa game in '01 and he was very, very respectful during the whole game....(he can get rowdy, but he knew that he was surrounded by 10k ISU students....thus, he was respectful......and returned the favor next year at Iowa.) Honestly, we were very respectful at the game, I mean, we were sitting with his parents and didn't want to be "those guys." Only mild ribbing with the folks we were sitting with. And boy did we get it when we were way down at the half! We only got excited and gave hi fives when ISU obviously turned the tide in that "Seneca Wallace game." I had a whole drink of Coke thrown at me and plenty of food to follow. My friends parents were incredibly embarrased at these Hawk fans that did all the throwing and talking crap. They were the ones yelling at their own fan base in this situation. It was WAYYY out of line. Thank goodness for the victory.....really made me feel a ton better.....the coke and food stains were pride stains now......but I was still sticky.

I agree that I see way more negative events happening at IC over Ames, not saying that they don't happen, but it is easily more frequent in IC, especially for this game.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I don't think you can lump all Iowa fans into one bucket. At least year's game we had a tent setup for tailgating since it was raining. We saw a few ISU fans walk by talking (don't remember what they were talking about), and one from our group invited them up to the tent for some good-natured rivalry talk. They stuck around for about 20 minutes, had a beer and a brat with us, exchanged some laughs, and then they went on their way in the rain.

Of course there's going to be people on both sides that act like idiots, but my tailgating crew has always gone out of our way to be respectful to the opposing team's fans.

We've done the same for many other fans that visit Iowa City. I remember tOSU fans being the most respectful and appreciative, probably because they knew they were going to wipe the field with us. I seem to remember Wisconsin fans being the least likely to get invited back to our tent. :)

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
IMy friends parents were incredibly embarrased at these Hawk fans that did all the throwing and talking crap. They were the ones yelling at their own fan base in this situation. It was WAYYY out of line.

Ah ha! You hit the nail right on the head. I have, as I'm sure many of you have as well, called out someone for acting stupid. For example, I was tailgating at the Jack when someone in our group threw a deviled egg at some passing Hawkeye fans. Small thing, but no class. Called him out and we had some words ("It's all in fun," he said. "They should expect that when they come here.")

I have also seen Iowa fans call out their own for poor behavior. I was sitting in the Kinnick stands in 2000 when a group of people dressed in ISU and Iowa garb sat down. One of the group in ISU gear stood up when the team entered the stadium and two old farts two rows behind her yelled "Sit down," and called her everyname in the book. One of the Hawkeyes in the group turned on the old farts. Never had a bit a problem with those old farts the rest of the game.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I agree. Michigan vs. Ohio State is a brutal rivalry.

I just find that instate rivalries are more entertaining overall. I have some friends who are hawk fans (I can't explain why) but for 1 day a year I can't even stand to be around them. People who couldn't careless about ISU or Iowa for the other 11 games in the season care about this one game.

This probably explains why so many problems seem to erupt prior to the game.

It depends, I mean...the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry specifically I think provides that element because despite not being instate is very regional, so it has all those elements, but by and large...yeah, the in state aspect certainly is a unique level of entertainment.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
two years ago tailgating a stupid hawk fan thought it would cool to walk by our tailgate and stomp on my bean bag game smashing it in half. I got in the dudes face and about that time his tailgate buddies came over to see what the hell was going on while people were holding me back from not kicking this dudes ***, they apologized gave me 50 bucks and left before the police arrived. Yeah every team has those apples, but everywhere else I have tailgated that has never happened. Pretty pathetic!!

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
two years ago tailgating a stupid hawk fan thought it would cool to walk by our tailgate and stomp on my bean bag game smashing it in half. I got in the dudes face and about that time his tailgate buddies came over to see what the hell was going on while people were holding me back from not kicking this dudes ***, they apologized gave me 50 bucks and left before the police arrived. Yeah every team has those apples, but everywhere else I have tailgated that has never happened. Pretty pathetic!!

Dude, don't stomp my bean bag game...seriously, I'll throw down.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't think you can lump all Iowa fans into one bucket. At least year's game we had a tent setup for tailgating since it was raining. We saw a few ISU fans walk by talking (don't remember what they were talking about), and one from our group invited them up to the tent for some good-natured rivalry talk. They stuck around for about 20 minutes, had a beer and a brat with us, exchanged some laughs, and then they went on their way in the rain.

Of course there's going to be people on both sides that act like idiots, but my tailgating crew has always gone out of our way to be respectful to the opposing team's fans.

We've done the same for many other fans that visit Iowa City. I remember tOSU fans being the most respectful and appreciative, probably because they knew they were going to wipe the field with us. I seem to remember Wisconsin fans being the least likely to get invited back to our tent. :)

I agree. Actually, for the games in Ames, our tailgates have been at least 1/4 hawkeye fans. I don't remember any of them having any issues with ISU fans. But even they know that we couldn't do the same thing in IC. ISU has some bad fans, but they're not as prevalent as they are in IC. Funny, we have a couple iowa fans that regularly come to ISU games/tailgates because of how difficult it is getting in and out of IC on gameday.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
After watching the youtube video, I'm recalling the last chick fight I saw. I think my wife would have kicked that Iowa fans *** too.