You stay classy hawk fan.....

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
One time, in Ames, I had a full keg thrown at my head from the top of a bus. I was knocked unconscious. Then several Clone fans began urinating on my unconscious body while yelling "f*ck the Hawks, f*ck the Hawks!" My mom was also there, they got in her face and told her she was a horrible cook, which of course, brought her to tears. And then they kicked my dog.

Reactions: chuckd4735

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I'm guessing it would be "interesting" to go to Columbus as a UM fan to watch an OSU-Michigan game.

I am sure you could YouTube a ton of footage from that rivalry...I've been to Columbus twice for that game and I am thankful to be alive. :wink:

It's pretty bad...I've had the opportunity to be at a number of "rivalry" games first hand. I lived in Washington state for a while and U-Dub/Wazzou is on par with Iowa / ISU. I've been to Nebraska numerous times over the years, back when they were the real deal, and seen some of those fans...it's "bad" everywhere, imo. It's a lot about place and time...and being smart about where you are going, especially on enemy territory.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That makes it normal. I'm guessing if we were to ask other fanbases about their heated rivals, we would hear similar stories.

My guess is you would hear much worse stories.

I have a cousin who goes to Purdue, and I have heard of things that happen at the Indiana/Purdue games that make my jaw drop. I have never even witnessed our heard of half the things that he has talked about at any Iowa State/Iowa game.

TedFlintKansas

Mar 5, 2009
thetailgatesociety.com
At the 2000 game I had seats in the student section since i knew friends that went to Iowa, Wearing just a normal ISU shirt a Friend and I had a cup of pee thrown on us during the first half, but the comeback along with seeing all the Iowa students crying as I walked up the stairs after the game was well worth the pee covered shirt

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I have never even witnessed our heard of half the things that he has talked about at any Iowa State/Iowa game.

Yep. I've been to the last 15 or so Iowa/ISU games and I've never, NEVER, seen a full beer thrown by either fanbase. But the way you guys talk here, it sounds like there's more full beers in the air than full beers being drank.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yep. I've been to the last 15 or so Iowa/ISU games and I've never, NEVER, seen a full beer thrown by either fanbase. But the way you guys talk here, it sounds like there's more full beers in the air than full beers being drank.

Maybe the Hawk fans are just trying to be friendly and are handing out full beers to all the Cyclone fans? Maybe Cyclones fan are the real ******** since they do not share their beer?

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Maybe the Hawk fans are just trying to be friendly and are handing out full beers to all the Cyclone fans? Maybe Cyclones fan are the real ******** since they do not share their beer?

That, and maybe Clone Fan needs to step up their game and top getting arrested for sex in the bathroom stall...I am sensing a lot of Cyclone envy.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Fixed it, again.

Blast away on Iowa football's 'fuzzy math' on determining sellouts, but they don't reduce the capacity of the building in order to do so.

That is odd... I don't recall anyone calling you out on that. I think you are developing a complex. The only cure is staying on hawk boards where everyone will just praise all things hawk and you never have to worry about pesky things like facts getting in the way of the pipe dreams that you hawk fans have.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I am sure you could YouTube a ton of footage from that rivalry...I've been to Columbus twice for that game and I am thankful to be alive. :wink:

It's pretty bad...I've had the opportunity to be at a number of "rivalry" games first hand. I lived in Washington state for a while and U-Dub/Wazzou is on par with Iowa / ISU. I've been to Nebraska numerous times over the years, back when they were the real deal, and seen some of those fans...it's "bad" everywhere, imo. It's a lot about place and time...and being smart about where you are going, especially on enemy territory.

I post on the ESPN Big 10 boards often and there is no question what the most heated rivalry involving any Big 10 team is.

I think the ISU-Iowa rivalry is a lot friendlier than people on here are portraying.

P.S. If you have a problem with someone yelling "Go Hawks" or "Clones Suck" don't wear ISU gear. Just this past weekend someone yelled "Hawks suck" to which I replied "We'll see." Some of you guys take things way to personally. (Strangely I had someone say "Panthers suck" while I was wearing a UNI shirt recently also. That was a first.)

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
That, and maybe Clone Fan needs to step up their game and top getting arrested for sex in the bathroom stall...I am sensing a lot of Cyclone envy.
I wouldn't call it envy, I'm just surprised she didn't puke on him. Most guys like their women conscious, except DJK.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Please. You're one of the first people here to bash the Hawks when it comes to boorish behavior, but you defend it when it comes from your own fan base?

Harrison was a grade-A POS...that was a road game for Colorado, what did he expect...applause? Cheers? Not a rough time? Classic case of a player letting the away game atmosphere get to their head, and putting the blame on fans for being "classless" based on his poor performance (and actually being able to hear, loud and clear, that all of the fans were indeed against him).

It is all part of the game atmosphere to boo and jeer at the opposing team...I wouldn't call that classless as long as it is kept under control. Chanting "Harrison Sucks" seems pretty harmless compared to what it could have been. Obviously you are going to have those people that take it over the edge...on both sides of the sport. Whatever, it is in the past, no one got hurt (that I know of). I guess Harrison got hurt feelings...

Classless jeering...that may be booing an individual on your own team *cough* Iowa vs. FIU 2008. I believe that is in Webster's now...look it up.

This thread is pointless...in fact, it may be adding fuel to the fire to create more tension and more aholes out there at the games.

Have fun, be safe, play/watch the game, and always know that there will always be another year to beat or be beaten.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You think that might have something to do with the fact that ISU doesn't really have any rivals in football other than Iowa? Of course other Big 12 fans are going to be nice, why wouldn't they. I'm pretty sure you won't see Iowa fans doing those things to Indiana fans.

Wrong answer. Most hawk fans would throw full beers cans at their own grandmother if she was a Cyclone fan.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I post on the ESPN Big 10 boards often and there is no question what the most heated rivalry involving any Big 10 team is.

I think the ISU-Iowa rivalry is a lot friendlier than people on here are portraying.

P.S. If you have a problem with someone yelling "Go Hawks" or "Clones Suck" don't wear ISU gear. Just this past weekend someone yelled "Hawks suck" to which I replied "We'll see." Some of you guys take things way to personally. (Strangely I had someone say "Panthers suck" while I was wearing a UNI shirt recently also. That was a first.)

I am biased, but I would rank it as the least friendly rivalry any B10 team has. That's to be expected...it's one of the rivalries that actually transcends the respective fan bases.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
And next week one will surface of Clone Fan...welcome to reality. Every fan base has them...I've seen some pretty sad acts when I was in A2.

Sad but true.

But, here but listen to Sound Off some time after an Iowa State-Iowa game when the game is played in Ames and I think you'll understand why some Clone fans want to point out Hawk fans behaving badly.

Iowa fans will get on and, pardon the expression "squawk" about how poorly they were treated. "That kind of thing never happens in Iowa City" they'll say. "ISU has classless fans" they'll say.

There are classes Clone fans, as well as classes Hawkeye fans, Husker fans, Missouri fans, Wisconsin fans, Minnesota fans, Michigan fans...you get my point. That's what happens when you mix booze and stupidity. So to the poster who says they doubt if Iowa fans treat Indiana fans the same way they treat Iowa State fans, I say that's bunch of whooey.

I saw this in another thread somewhere. This pretty much tells the story:

"I was in (insert "Ames" or "Iowa City") for the big game.

I wasn't doing anything except partying with my buddies when some (insert "Cyclone" or Hawkeye") fans (insert "chucked a full cans of beer at me" or ("threw eggs at me" or "started calling me names" or "took a leak on my brand new car").

I never saw such classes (insert "Cyclone" or Hawkeye")
fans in my life.

You would never see (insert "Cyclone" or Hawkeye") fans do that in (insert "Ames" or "Iowa City"). "

I wish I could give credit to this person who originally posted it, but I can't.

To end it, not everyone in our fanbase are saints. That is the one thing ISU and Iowa has in common.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Sad but true.

But, here but listen to Sound Off some time after an Iowa State-Iowa game when the game is played in Ames and I think you'll understand why some Clone fans want to point out Hawk fans behaving badly.

Iowa fans will get on and, pardon the expression "squawk" about how poorly they were treated. "That kind of thing never happens in Iowa City" they'll say. "ISU has classless fans" they'll say.

There are classes Clone fans, as well as classes Hawkeye fans, Husker fans, Missouri fans, Wisconsin fans, Minnesota fans, Michigan fans...you get my point. That's what happens when you mix booze and stupidity. So to the poster who says they doubt if Iowa fans treat Indiana fans the same way they treat Iowa State fans, I say that's bunch of whooey.

I saw this in another thread somewhere. This pretty much tells the story:

"I was in (insert "Ames" or "Iowa City") for the big game.

I wasn't doing anything except partying with my buddies when some (insert "Cyclone" or Hawkeye") fans (insert "chucked a full cans of beer at me" or ("threw eggs at me" or "started calling me names" or "took a leak on my brand new car").

I never saw such classes (insert "Cyclone" or Hawkeye")
fans in my life.

You would never see (insert "Cyclone" or Hawkeye") fans do that in (insert "Ames" or "Iowa City"). "

I wish I could give credit to this person who originally posted it, but I can't.

To end it, not everyone in our fanbase are saints. That is the one thing ISU and Iowa has in common.

Actually, I do follow the rivalry pretty close since I've lived mostly in Iowa most of my life, my Dad is an ISU grad, most of the extended family are Iowa or ISU grads...I've been to most of the games during my life when I've lived in state (I'll likely be there again this year). I've lived relatively close to both campuses at some time for a 3 or 4 year period. And I usually end up listening to WHO after any Iowa game unless I am watching Michigan.

See, even I am bit biased as well, because of treatment I've received at Iowa / Michigan games.

So to the poster who says they doubt if Iowa fans treat Indiana fans the same way they treat Iowa State fans, I say that's bunch of whooey.
As to this...I can vouch for that, true on both sides, I think this also true with Cyclone Fan and even say Nebraska Fan from what I've seen.

I've actually seen a LOT of Clone Fan interaction...when we lived in Carroll I used to help an organization that ran one of the concessions stands for Center Plate.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I am biased, but I would rank it as the least friendly rivalry any B10 team has. That's to be expected...it's one of the rivalries that actually transcends the respective fan bases.

Bingo. It's an instate rivalry which pits neighbors against neighbors, friends against friends, family members against family members, etc....

There are too many people that cry about people not being able to cheer for both teams. It's pretty obvious that you are a fan of one or the other but not both. For me to cheer for the hawks would cause me to be disowned by my family.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Bingo. It's an instate rivalry which pits neighbors against neighbors, friends against friends, family members against family members, etc....

Well, I was talking about Michigan vs. Ohio State as being the least friendly rivalry any B10 team has...

I think the Michigan vs. Michigan State rivalry, from what I've seen, is on par with ISU vs. Iowa. And, frankly, as a Michigan Fan, that's arguably our 3rd biggest rivalry.

There are too many people that cry about people not being able to cheer for both teams. It's pretty obvious that you are a fan of one or the other but not both. For me to cheer for the hawks would cause me to be disowned by my family.

I think in state rivalries are generally bigger for the reasons you cited though. In fact, you know it's big when state legislators and other political figures get involved to keep it in tact. It's unfortunate, imo, that both Iowa teams can't be in the same conference.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think in state rivalries are generally bigger for the reasons you cited though. In fact, you know it's big when state legislators and other political figures get involved to keep it in tact. It's unfortunate, imo, that both Iowa teams can't be in the same conference.

If Iowa and ISU were in the same conference, at least then all the energy we expend obsessing over and chastising the Hawks would be conducive towards an outcome that actually has bearing on our success for the season.