Youngblut Dismissed

Spam

May 21, 2008
Why are some athletes allowed the due process of law prior to final decision by the coach or athletic department? I'm not taking sides, just trying to figure this out. The incident must have been pretty clear to coach for him to take immediate action.

Depends on whether the player is a starter

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Tha should not matter, what if the charges are dropped or she is found not guilty? Should this have not been a suspension till she was convicted ? Some on here think it was a bogus charge.

I trust BF's judgement. I don't think BF is too naive or too rushed to make this kind of decision without considering all the facts.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I trust BF's judgement. I don't think BF is too naive or too rushed to make this kind of decision without considering all the facts.

So you are saying that even if she is found not guilty or the charges are dropped it was OK to dismiss her from the squad? How do you repair someones reputation after that? What ever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Why are some athletes allowed the due process of law prior to final decision by the coach or athletic department? I'm not taking sides, just trying to figure this out. The incident must have been pretty clear to coach for him to take immediate action.

We also need to take into account the coach. It's completely up to the coach (as long as a certain minimum discipline is maintained). It's not as if there's a long track record of legal problems within the WBB program to compare this to.

When was the last one? I think I remember one from around ten years ago, but I can't find reference to it anywhere and don't want to spread false info. Around the same time was when Bremer had her issues, although I think hers were strictly academic, not legal.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
So you are saying that even if she is found not guilty or the charges are dropped it was OK to dismiss her from the squad? How do you repair someones reputation after that? What ever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Not guilty or dropped charges don't necessarily mean the incident didn't happen. I bet this is a case where BF expects his walk-ons to be squeaky clean, and a similar issue happening to a scholarship player would have be a suspension instead. Although that is technically a double-standard, I don't think it's an unfair one. Treating starters different from reserves would be.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Life is not fair and the walk-on should have avoided the bare knuckles brawling.

everyone here have made mistakes and always had to pay....

Last edited:

Spam

May 21, 2008
When criminal charges are of a violent nature, coaches tend to suspend/kick off players very quickly. But again there are no rules or consistency.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
She slapped the living hell out of a girl who was "drunk and annoying her like no other." The pathetic part was that Melissa seemed proud of it last night when she was telling everyone at intramurals. She seemed super proud of having to turn herself in. :skeptical:

Obviously when she told Coach Fennelly he told her there wasn't room in the program for actions like that and dismissed her.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
With almost any coach I'd say a scholarship player would still be on the team. With Bill I'd say they would probably be gone also. Bill thinks he can win no matter who he has on the court and his is all about teaching lessons even if it means losing games.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
She slapped the living hell out of a girl who was "drunk and annoying her like no other." The pathetic part was that Melissa seemed proud of it last night when she was telling everyone at intramurals. She seemed super proud of having to turn herself in. :skeptical:

Obviously when she told Coach Fennelly he told her there wasn't room in the program for actions like that and dismissed her.

If that's the case - that means she probably needs to go. Part of it is probably related to maturity level: she doesn't know when to fight or when to back out and say "oh well, I won't ruin my career and life because she's just a drunk". But no one should be proud when dealing with the authority.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

What I'm saying is: BF certainly has heard every aspects of this incident before making decision instead of just relying on report from the third-party (e.g. Campus PD)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Maybe this wasn't her first strike.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
What I'm saying is: BF certainly has heard every aspects of this incident before making decision instead of just relying on report from the third-party (e.g. Campus PD)

And you know this because you were there during all the conversations? So who would have more information than the police? My original question was just why not just suspend till the trial/adjudication of the charge.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
And you know this because you were there during all the conversations? So who would have more information than the police? My original question was just why not just suspend till the trial/adjudication of the charge.

No, I wasn't there.
The information might not be related to the case, but other things like how she has conducted herself on and off the court (one poster here implied that she was quite arrogant), etc. Also there could be some team rules that are not related to law, but more like a contract that has to be honored.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Yep, sounds like she needed to go.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
If someone was drunk and being annoying she may have just done what other people wanted to do? I have been on both sides of that and at times when I am drunk and annoying I need the hell slapped out of me too. I hope there is more to this story. Whatever happend to suspend indefenitly and let the leagal process sort it out, and work your way back onto the team? Are there other "team rules" she has to abide by or was she a cancer in the locker room?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Because Bill didn't think she needed to be kept around so he cut ties immediately?
If someone was drunk and being annoying she may have just done what other people wanted to do? I have been on both sides of that and at times when I am drunk and annoying I need the hell slapped out of me too. I hope there is more to this story. Whatever happend to suspend indefenitly and let the leagal process sort it out, and work your way back onto the team? Are there other "team rules" she has to abide by or was she a cancer in the locker room?
Were you a division 1 athlete? If not, completely and totally different situations. She should be held to a higher standard than say I am as a normal student.