Yuengling expanding distribution

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mmmmm, Yuengling. I love some Yuengling. I just wonder if part of it's appeal to me is the fact it's an "occasion" when I get it. Usually means I'm on vacation. Not sure it'll have the same allure if I can swing by Hy Vee and get it.

The law of exclusivity is a very real thing. Its why New Glarus refuses to leave Wisconsin.

I would imagine that when Yuengling crosses the Mississippi, it will basically fill the role of Busch Light in my life. If I'm tailgating, kayaking, going to an all day party or something like that, I tend to drink light beer to keep from getting plastered but still have a nice buzz. Given that it costs more or less the same as Busch Light, it will become my choice for those situations.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I haven't seen a McRib in 2020, so you're probably right.
tenor.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Yuengling has always been "just ok". But at it's price point, that's better than any other available option.

I don't think Yuengling is the best beer ever, but it costs the same as any macro lager and is definitely better than any of them. I don't see myself ever buying a Busch Light when Yuengling is in the same ball park price wise.

I like Yuengling and agree with you.

My main point was more along the lines of your exclusivity post from further down...the more available something is the "less cool" it is, on top of just the "excitement" of having it on occasion.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The law of exclusivity is a very real thing. Its why New Glarus refuses to leave Wisconsin.

I would imagine that when Yuengling crosses the Mississippi, it will basically fill the role of Busch Light in my life. If I'm tailgating, kayaking, going to an all day party or something like that, I tend to drink light beer to keep from getting plastered but still have a nice buzz. Given that it costs more or less the same as Busch Light, it will become my choice for those situations.
I was just going to post something similar. Spotted Cow is a good beer. It's nothing special, but it's good. But every time I go to Madison, I can guarantee that I'll have at least 5 people ask me to bring them home a case.
Same deal as Yuengling. Make it scarce and the demand goes up.

Yuengling won't win over many craft beer stans, when it's available here, but it might convince some Busch/Bud/Coors drinkers to give it a shot.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I just happened to have had one this weekend. (not my first) It is good and I'd def drink before lots of others and for the price its very good. I'd like to taste test against Grainbelt Nordeast.

Reactions: Cytown12

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Maybe its just because Iowa isn't really close to the Yeungling distribution area, but I don't see it all that similar to Spotted Cow. I think it would be hard to find Spotted Cow on the shelf around here for a while because its it does have a somewhat inflated reputation locally. I don't think most people around here are all that familiar with Yeungling. It will find a regular spot in my rotation when I'm looking for a light session beer, but I don't think its going to make a very big splash around Iowa. I could be wrong.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was just going to post something similar. Spotted Cow is a good beer. It's nothing special, but it's good. But every time I go to Madison, I can guarantee that I'll have at least 5 people ask me to bring them home a case.
Same deal as Yuengling. Make it scarce and the demand goes up.

Yuengling won't win over many craft beer stans, when it's available here, but it might convince some Busch/Bud/Coors drinkers to give it a shot.
I'm hoping it will become a go to at holes in the wall that only serve domestic fare.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I heard so many great things so I was a little disappointed when I first had it. I guess I'd choose it over Budweiser.

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018

New Glarus used to distribute in Illinois. Basically they couldn't keep up with demand and didn't want to deal with expansion and further distribution, so they decided to pull back to Wisconsin only distribution. IMO their beers are mostly average, so it's no big loss.