Zion Williamson?

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Anyone ever heard of him?

Apparently he played basketball today for some school.

Was just wondering because the 10 minute segments on him they do at every break on ESPN haven't been annoying at all.
You would love the coverage if it was for an Iowa State athlete. We just do not have those types often. He is fun to watch and is a generational player so i would just enjoy the 1 year.

• Winner
Reactions: Hayes30

Jim Lahey

Nov 28, 2018
I don’t agree. He’s only 6-7. He’s not a good enough shooter to really play the 3 spot and is too small to really play the 4. He’s gonna have Marcus Fizer syndrome in the NBA. Not really a spot he can play that’s a natural fit. Obviously he is way more athletic than Fizer, but I think they’ll have similiar careers. He is just way more athletic than the kids he plays against at the college level. It’ll even out in the NBA where’s he won’t get away with just being way more athletic than everyone else.
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You would love the coverage if it was for an Iowa State athlete. We just do not have those types often. He is fun to watch and is a generational player so i would just enjoy the 1 year.

If he were to come to ISU he wouldn't have gotten the coverage. The coverage is reserved for Duke's best player, not necessarily the top player in the country.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Another one taking things very seriously.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
If he were to come to ISU he wouldn't have gotten the coverage. The coverage is reserved for Duke's best player, not necessarily the top player in the country.
You must not have seen the coverage the Kid got in HS on Twitter and YouTube huh? Not any different than he gets now on ESPN to be honest.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Zion is considered to be the best college player since Anthony Davis, at least. PER has flaws, but I think he may be the first player to have a PER higher than 40. He also one of the more unique and exciting players to come through the college ranks. I agree he wouldn't get the same coverage at ISU, but he would definitely be considered the best player in the country and the likely 1st pick if he was at ISU.

People in the national media have been trying to find some contrarian takes on him, and find some competition for POY but it's just not happening.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Sarcastic? Really?
Welcome to Johnny's Steakhouse, we serve steak.

The kid is unreal. Arguably the best athlete I've ever seen. But I'm tired of hearing about Zion, Zion, Zion everytime I try to take in anything college basketball.
...says the guy on a thread called "Zion Williamson." Lol

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Jealous?

He's the best player in college basketball, an athletic freak and plays for a winning team. So yeah he's going to get a lot of attention and he deserves it.

I'm glad no one is making money off him since this is amateur sports. ;) Personally nothing against him, but I'd be fine if Duke went away...forever.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don’t agree. He’s only 6-7. He’s not a good enough shooter to really play the 3 spot and is too small to really play the 4. He’s gonna have Marcus Fizer syndrome in the NBA. Not really a spot he can play that’s a natural fit. Obviously he is way more athletic than Fizer, but I think they’ll have similiar careers. He is just way more athletic than the kids he plays against at the college level. It’ll even out in the NBA where’s he won’t get away with just being way more athletic than everyone else.
He could also end up being like Charles Barkley.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Jealous?

He's the best player in college basketball, an athletic freak and plays for a winning team. So yeah he's going to get a lot of attention and he deserves it.
True, but him being on Duke is also a factor. If he were anywhere else you wouldn't see it as much.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Don't take this as a direct comparison to Lebron because I know Zion is not Lebron's level. But watching Zion in college is somewhat close to what I think it would have been like watching Lebron if he had gone to college.

The kid is--and I mean this as a compliment--a FREAK. He's 6'7" 280 lbs and zips around the court like someone who weighs about 50 lbs less. Usually when you see guys like this they're just a little slower than other dudes or they're injury prone.

He's an impossible matchup for anyone in college basketball, so when he drives in and draws three defenders, he simply uses his brain to pass to one of Duke's many 5 star recruits on the parimeter for an open shot.

AND, he seems like a likeable kid. At Duke.

It's disgusting, really.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
True, but him being on Duke is also a factor. If he were anywhere else you wouldn't see it as much.

Maybe but if you remove him from Duke and put him on Kentucky, KU, UNC or any blue blood he could have gone to I think he gets the same coverage.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I know ESPN does go over the top but this is a kid that is worth going over the top for. He is so much fun to watch. He is just ridiculous. I think this is one of those years when the best team actually does win the championship because I don't see anyone stopping them or stopping him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...on-williamson-mild-knee-sprain-shoe-blows-out

Didn't see a separate thread about this, so bump.

I wonder if he decides to shut it down for the year. I wouldn't blame him if he decided to think long term.

I know the shoe company is inevitably going to take some heat for that injury, but I have to wonder if any shoe on the market currently is built to withstand the kind of pressure that a freak athlete of that size can put on it.