Zone Offense Struggles

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Right, but the context isn’t about switching the two, but whether we can make an assessment on Talley’s ability in coming in for that role. I don’t think we have a valid sample, and shooting accuracy in itself rings hollow given other’s percentages.

But on that note, I’m guessing Talley would look a lot more equitable to THT than most realize, if also consistently getting 28 minutes a game and the green light to have that usage. He may even shoot better overall than THT’s 40.7% (he did last year). He’s a talented player imo, if we need him to be.

Talley is talented, and capable of helping us. He's not a match for what THT brings to the team.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What does THT bring?

It’s far more equitable than the minutes played suggest. Talley’s lack of minutes aren’t basketball related imo.

2nd best rebounding percentage on the team behind Jacobson, 3rd best assist percentage behind Babb and Haliburton, 2nd highest steal percentage behind Haliburton, 4th best block percentage, 2nd best turnover percentage and 2nd best defensive rating

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
2nd best rebounding percentage on the team behind Jacobson, 3rd best assist percentage behind Babb and Haliburton, 2nd highest steal percentage behind Haliburton, 4th best block percentage, 2nd best turnover percentage and 2nd best defensive rating
Pretty consistent with someone playing that position getting the 3rd most usage (2nd when weighted by minutes) and 4th most minutes overall.

If you’re into advanced stats, he also has the worst PER of rotation guys in conference play, lowest ORating and eFG% overall.

I don’t think the drop off would be as large as the minutes played would suggest. Hopefully both finish the season on high notes.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Pretty consistent with someone playing that position getting the 3rd most usage (2nd when weighted by minutes) and 4th most minutes overall.

If you’re into advanced stats, he also has the worst PER of rotation guys in conference play, lowest ORating and eFG% overall.

I don’t think the drop off would be as large as the minutes played would suggest. Hopefully both finish the season on high notes.

He has the best defensive rating of any rotational player

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As an aside, it’s great that we’re getting so much experience against the zone. I think it’s probably because we’re such a handful to guard, but the more we see it, the more we’re going to learn how to defeat it.

Yeah as with most things ball movement will get good looks and it's taking some time to get the ball swinging both ways vs. the zones...but there were spurts last night.

This group has been fun so far...probably about a month ahead of schedule for having things come together vs. what I figured. Hope it keeps going.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
We get moving way too fast against the zone sometimes and then over pass. I love Tyrese Haliburton and we are nowhere near as good of a team without him, but last night in particular he looked like he was in too high of a gear against the zone. Someone would pass it to him and then he would pump fake almost before he caught it and then dribbled and left his feet to throw passes that nearly got picked off or thrown away. That seemed to speed everyone up and we seemed out of control at times.

I chalk it up to him being a freshman and a very high IQ player. He sees things before they develop but gets too excited and speeds his game up. Same could be said about a few other guys on our team. I do like the fact they have a tendency to over pass than not pass enough. Speaks to the general unselfishness of the team.

They will get the zone figured out. The more they see it and the more they practice it the better they will be.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I’ve honestly been surprised that people go away from the zone against us and go back to man to man. We struggle when teams go 2-3 zone against us and put a lot of pressure up front

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah as with most things ball movement will get good looks and it's taking some time to get the ball swinging both ways vs. the zones...but there were spurts last night.

This group has been fun so far...probably about a month ahead of schedule for having things come together vs. what I figured. Hope it keeps going.

What if they're still a month ahead of schedule?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I dunno, I often feel like the offense looks hesitant vs a zone as well. The other problem with facing zone is that we’re not a good offense rebounding team, which is a weakness of a zone so we’re sort of negating one of zone D’s issues.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How To Destroy a Zone Defense by: Melvin Ejim

I love it that the ribbon board in this photo says "Be a Team Player." Ejim epitomized what it means to score 48 and be a team player!

Reactions: CYCLNST8