Bo Williams moves up the depth chart!

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I remember the name of the last running back that had lots of accolades but stood on the sidelines all season while the fan base begged for the coach to play him.

When he finally did, he returned a kickoff for a TD. The next year he ran for over 2000 yds and then topped that by doing it again his Junior year.

That RB was Troy Davis.

Not saying Bo is Troy Davis, but we'll never know until he gets some carries and he is good enough to get some carries.
I hate to say it but that is a good point. He must look THAT bad in practice that he doesn't get any carries. I would think we would have trotted him out there with a big lead or down by a lot like against Iowa. Like I said though, there's obviously a problem at practice that is keeping him from hitting the field.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Whoever goes into the game HAS to have the ability to catch the ball for this offense to work... Bo can't catch, not even in simple little drills.

I had the glasses on Bo in pregame drills against Army. I did not see one dropped pass, and several one-handed grabs. Just what I saw.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Don't think that is the case. I suspect he will see action this week. We need all the good backs we can get.

Unless ISU is up 35-7 with 5 minutes remaining in the game...I do not think Bo will see playing time in this game let alone any other BigXII game pending injuries.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
i hear isu is recruiting the harlan running back dylan barrett, this should spark a little conversation

Hey I live there. I haven't heard anything but I will try and do a little digging and see if I can find anything out.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Let's just remember Bo is just a Sophomore here, not a Junior or Senior. ya, I know this is his fifth year of football but maybe something will click. Who knows, maybe he's or next Troy Davis. Probably not.

andynel88

Mar 20, 2007
I have no idea what he will do but I at least want the guy to get a shot to show us what he has.

I tend to agree with the people who are saying that he has HAD something like what 40 practices, probably more just this season, to show the coaches "what he has" and it obviously hasn't been worth showing to the fans when it counts.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It will be interesting to see if Bo sticks around Iowa over the next few years as a 4-5th string running back.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Maybe a positive thing coming from Robinson's injury will be its the spark that motivates Williams.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I thought it was brought up a while ago that he really didn't work as hard as the other guys. I hate to throw an accusation like that out there if I'm remembering wrong. But, if that is the case, it comes down to how Rhoads wants to build his team. In my opinion, you're not going to get a huge amount of talent coming to ISU, especially in your first couple of years. So, if you're going to get the effort out of the less talented players, you can't have a more talented guy slacking off and still getting playing time. Just a theory....

I disagree completely. When I was in high school, there were lots of guys on the football and basketball teams that busted their ***es everyday in practice. Unfortunately, they just weren't very good athletes, so they didn't play except for garbage time.

You play your most talented players. Period. I don't think we have the luxury to do anything else. Now, if the talent between 2 players is equal, but one consistently outworks the other in practice, then that's a different story.

There's a former ISU player that posts on here who recently said that Darren Davis routinely coasted through practices. He seemed to do OK on gameday.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
From what I've seen of him in drills he can't block for ****. He might be a great runner with the ball, but if a RB can't pick up a blitz, he won't play. miss one block in a game and Arnaud takes a Tebow-type hit and is out for the season, coach's won't risk it, no matter how well he can carry the ball. Sure CPR/Herman could put him in on designed runs, but opposing Ds will quickly learn he can only run, it would only take 6-7 attempts before they figure out where the balls going when he's in the game, so it's not worth the in-game reps, might as well give them to someone else you'll be able to utilize in the future.

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
From what I've seen of him in drills he can't block for ****. He might be a great runner with the ball, but if a RB can't pick up a blitz, he won't play. miss one block in a game and Arnaud takes a Tebow-type hit and is out for the season, coach's won't risk it, no matter how well he can carry the ball. Sure CPR/Herman could put him in on designed runs, but opposing Ds will quickly learn he can only run, it would only take 6-7 attempts before they figure out where the balls going when he's in the game, so it's not worth the in-game reps, might as well give them to someone else you'll be able to utilize in the future.

Well put. And remember how much we missed Stevie Hicks' blocking when he was hurt?

On a tangent-- I don't recall any threads on the concept of Bo playing defense. Has that discussion been played out? Just throwing that out there.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
On a tangent-- I don't recall any threads on the concept of Bo playing defense. Has that discussion been played out? Just throwing that out there.

I don't recall anything like that either, but it is an interesting idea. I seem to recall other's on CF saying he's got a real team-first mentality and we certainly could use more team speed on defense, especially at LB. I wonder if he would consider the switch or if coach Burnham would ask him to switch if he doesn't make any contribution this year on offense.

He's listed at 6'0" 200 so I think he'd be find on size, put on another 10-15 pounds maybe, but that shouldn't be too hard over a summer. He and Jesse Smith are actually listed at about the same size, could you imagine how much better Jesse would be if you put Bo's wheels on him! Or more pertinent, if Wally can teach Bo to tackle, imagine how good he could be.

I'm not going to completely give up on him yet, if he takes the time he can learn to block and learning the offensive scheme comes with time if that's a sticking point too. He may end up a great RB when it's all said and done, but if it doesn't work out I hope he stays at ISU and trys to find other ways to contribute.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Bo has moved up the depth chart ahead of Blakenship. I'm looking foward to seeing him show his stuff on the field, as are a lot of fans. With ARob banged up, this could well be Bo's week. In warmups he caught everything thrown at him, and he has the acceleration.

Gotta admit that what I've seen out of the two of them at practices and scrimmages, I'd rather see Beau than Bo in there...

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
i hear isu is recruiting the harlan running back dylan barrett, this should spark a little conversation

I watch Barrett every week. I have my doubts about him being Big 12 material. Save this post and hopefully you can rub it in my face someday.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I hope we don't see much of either Bo/Beau this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron