Bo Williams moves up the depth chart!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Just a hunch...we'll soon see.

If Bo plays and turns out to be good/great - I'll gladly buy you a case of your favorite beer the next time we're at the same tailgate.

Until then, I'll disagree with your hunch and go with the information I've been given from those that have actually faced Bo in practice. Tons of ability, effort lacking and simply does not like to get hit. This is nothing new, have said the same thing for months.

My firm belief is, if Bo was good - he'd be on the field. Especially in the non-conference games late in the 4th quarter. Or against Iowa when we needed a spark (not that ARob wasn't getting it done).

For now, he's a paper tiger and that's it. I'd love for him to be a force on the field because while we have a great one in ARob, having another standout back with a different style can be a difference maker. Look at the programs in the nation that have been successful and a decent number have a strong RB duo. For now in Ames, this due consists of ARob and "?".

It's disappointing he was such a highly touted recruit, we got him from Florida, he's been in the program a year (albeit under a different staff) and has yet to see the field, once. Perhaps ARob is just that much better. Or, perhaps there was something else to why he left Florida and the tougher competition. You'd have to think such a highly rated guy that was on the Gator roster should be able to come to Ames, IA and hit the field the second he's eligible, right?

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Sounds to me like Bo needs to swallow his pride and start to realize he needs to bust his *** in order to improve the lacking areas of his game so he can see the field. D1 football is not for loafers.

clonz

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry to say internet legends are usually just that. Money was a very pleasant surprise that he had the on field ability to go with the hype. I have only seen Bo and Beau play once (I wasn't able to watch the Kent State game), but as of that time Beau was the better running back. I think the difference is primarily in catching ability and acceleration from what I saw, and according to Rhodes there are fumbling problems for Bo in practice.
We have a very good starting running back and a capable backup, that's a very good situation to have.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I disagree completely. When I was in high school, there were lots of guys on the football and basketball teams that busted their ***es everyday in practice. Unfortunately, they just weren't very good athletes, so they didn't play except for garbage time.

You play your most talented players. Period. I don't think we have the luxury to do anything else. Now, if the talent between 2 players is equal, but one consistently outworks the other in practice, then that's a different story.

There's a former ISU player that posts on here who recently said that Darren Davis routinely coasted through practices. He seemed to do OK on gameday.

Agree here. I've seen many a "kiss-***" in practice and busted their butts in practice but couldn't produce when the lights were on.

Get the TALENT on the field.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The chart for the week came out before he broke his leg.

OWH (omaha.com) reported today that he broke his ankle. What did he break? They also said that the fifth degree theft by MT was a stolen wireless adapter for a computer.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
OWH (omaha.com) reported today that he broke his ankle. What did he break? They also said that the fifth degree theft by MT was a stolen wireless adapter for a computer.

He broke his fibula right above the ankle from what I understand. Someone tell me if thats wrong. That seems like a very bad spot to break a bone. He is having surgery so I would assume there will be hardware added. Let's just hope he gets that redhsirt and gets back to himself.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
This was the depth chart for the Kent state game;

http://www.cyclones.com//pdf4/642755.pdf

Bo Williams was #3, and who came in as our 3rd string RB in this game? The other Beau.
Is Beau on any special teams? Maybe Bo didn't play because he didn't travel to the Kent St game. If Beau and Ekamando(not sure if this is the correct name or spelling) are special teams starters maybe they are the 3rd and 4th team rb's for road games.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
He broke his fibula right above the ankle from what I understand. Someone tell me if thats wrong. That seems like a very bad spot to break a bone. He is having surgery so I would assume there will be hardware added. Let's just hope he gets that redhsirt and gets back to himself.
If you are going to break a bone in your leg, the fibula would be the best one to break, in terms of importance. The Tibia, the other bone in the lower leg, does most of the weight bearing. In fact, you can walk with a broken fibula. The fibula is primarily for stabilization for the ankle. So, hearing that he broke it right above the ankle, its not the best spot to break it. BUT, its better that he broke that, than his Tibia IMO.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you are going to break a bone in your leg, the fibula would be the best one to break, in terms of importance. The Tibia, the other bone in the lower leg, does most of the weight bearing. In fact, you can walk with a broken fibula. The fibula is primarily for stabilization for the ankle. So, hearing that he broke it right above the ankle, its not the best spot to break it. BUT, its better that he broke that, than his Tibia IMO.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. My point was there are better places to break it but worse things to break.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I remember the name of the last running back that had lots of accolades but stood on the sidelines all season while the fan base begged for the coach to play him.

When he finally did, he returned a kickoff for a TD. The next year he ran for over 2000 yds and then topped that by doing it again his Junior year.

That RB was Troy Davis.

Not saying Bo is Troy Davis, but we'll never know until he gets some carries and he is good enough to get some carries.
The way your post started I thought you were going to say JJ Bass.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Then you missed a week because Blankenship moved ahead of Bo for the Army game. In fact, Blankenship played in the Army game, after Schwartz. and ARob.

Here's the depth chart for the Army game. It shows ARob, Schwartz and Bo Williams. It hasn't changed all season.
http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48323&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=204778294
http://www.cyclones.com//pdf4/644289.pdf

Cyclones Return Home to Face Army - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Then you missed a week because Blankenship moved ahead of Bo for the Army game. In fact, Blankenship played in the Army game, after Schwartz. and ARob.

Dude, he's right on this one. Williams has been third all season.

Cyphor

Aug 9, 2006
Has anyone actually seen this guy play? I mean did he start for Florida or somthing? He sounds like nothing but hype...a real Ivan Chiriav. If he is good enough to contribute in some capacity he will see the feild. If he sucks he'll stay on the sidelines. Coachs don't evalute players by the eye test...(anyone remember Ron Prelow?)...they evaluate on your ability to play football.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Has anyone actually seen this guy play? I mean did he start for Florida or somthing? He sounds like nothing but hype...a real Ivan Chiriav. If he is good enough to contribute in some capacity he will see the feild. If he sucks he'll stay on the sidelines. Coachs don't evalute players by the eye test...(anyone remember Ron Prelow?)...they evaluate on your ability to play football.

My guess is someone at Florida thought he had some talent at some point. I mean they aren't exactly struggling to find guys to run the football.

Scout.com: Bo Williams Profile

People raved over this guy. Sometimes it doesn't work out but I will take a 4 star sophomore running back that is 220 with 4.5 speed as our fourth stringer every day. Maybe this just says something about the rest of our backs.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
From what I've seen of him in drills he can't block for ****. He might be a great runner with the ball, but if a RB can't pick up a blitz, he won't play. miss one block in a game and Arnaud takes a Tebow-type hit and is out for the season, coach's won't risk it, no matter how well he can carry the ball. Sure CPR/Herman could put him in on designed runs, but opposing Ds will quickly learn he can only run, it would only take 6-7 attempts before they figure out where the balls going when he's in the game, so it's not worth the in-game reps, might as well give them to someone else you'll be able to utilize in the future.

I very much agree with the blocking aspect, but idk about the coaches protecting arnaud. He's gonna take hits all year long and yes good blocking will minimize them, but why did we have him when the army game was over score-wise along with some second teamers and he was running the ball multiple times and some on planned QB draws?