What common football idiom makes you cringe when you hear it?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Constantly reminding us that we're watching a football game. This is even something CMC says, in that he constantly refers to "our football team," as if we may confuse it for golf or cross country. But commentators do this incessantly, particularly at the pro level where they always refer to "the National Football League."

Do it sometime; watch a game and see how many times they say the word "football" for no reason.
Drives me nuts. Mark Schlereth has been the worst that I recall. "He's a great football player that has a real nose for the football. He's not the greatest athlete but he makes football plays. He's the kind of football player that helps your football team win football games."

Reactions: isutrevman

jmkc12

Apr 27, 2017
When the announcers question if the player made a “football move”

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
"It was unprofessional." That was the one that I hated the most this year. That, and most of what Herbie says during Gameday.

• Funny
Reactions: PlanoClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Arm talent. Stupid term that is more vague than its predecessors. Some people use it to describe some combination of accuracy and arm strength/velocity. Yet without expanding, we don't really know what degree of each. The rest of the people use interchangeably with velocity and arm strength.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Announcer (in reference to any player): "He looves the game of football"
Me: You're possibly right, but you know this how?

Even more annoying is the idea that (on sports networks) this is the highest accolade you can give a person. He may be a saint, but his love of football is the greatest thing about him.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I hate when old white commentators try to sound cool. Happens more in basketball when they start saying "distributing the rock", "dropping dimes", "bigs", etc.
“Dimes”? Smh

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Constantly reminding us that we're watching a football game. This is even something CMC says, in that he constantly refers to "our football team," as if we may confuse it for golf or cross country. But commentators do this incessantly, particularly at the pro level where they always refer to "the National Football League."

Do it sometime; watch a game and see how many times they say the word "football" for no reason.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
"It might be two down territory." No.

2 Down Territory = Quick Kick Punt on 3rd Down
3 Down Territory (AKA Normal Series) = Punt or Kick a Field Goal on 4th Down
4 Down Territory = Go for a 1st Down on 4th Down instead of punting or kicking a field goal.

• Disagree
Reactions: KnappShack

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When the announcers question if the player made a “football move”
This one is not entirely their fault. It comes from that terminology being added to the rules without much for definition so they for quite a while were trying to define if a "football move" was made to cause the catch to be completed. It was removed and then they comtemplated reinserting it but apparently they just tried to further define it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...-catch-rule-football-move-20180321-story.html

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There are some pretty good ones in here but most of the ones that bug the hell out of me come from basketball. There seems to be ones falling from announcers', coaches' and players' mouths just about every other sentence.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron