What common football idiom makes you cringe when you hear it?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
When a person uses the term "we" when talking about a football team.
For example: my mother-in-law, when talking about Nebraska football, will always say that "we are playing today" or "we won/lost the game".
My response to her is always "when did you start playing or ever play football for Nebraska?"

Nebraska fans are the WORST at this!!!!

"We won the National Championship 3 out of the last 4 years . . . " (I heard a lot back in the late 90's).

Oh really? We? Remind me when you even attended Nebraska, let alone played for them????

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is football related only because CMC uses the phrase all the time, but "I'll be honest with you."

I certainly don't think he means it like this, but when you use that phrase, it implies that other things you have said were/are not honest. Almost like he's saying, "Well usually I'd just lie to answer this question, but this time I'll be honest, [gives answer]."

"the reality is"

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
In general I think all refs with microphones talk too much.

"Minnesota is challenging the ruling on the field, that the runner was down short of the line to gain."

How about,"Minnesota is challenging the spot on the previous play."

Maybe I'm the only one, but I grew up with a newspaper editor mother who stressed that less was more.
For sure, and it’s extremely annoying. I think a lot of white hats either conciously or subconsciously like being in the spotlight and milk it for all its worth. I wish I could remember which NFL game it was a few weeks ago but the ref was describing a call in way too much detail. Even started a sentence with “you see,” I was laughing so hard

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
When a person uses the term "we" when talking about a football team.
For example: my mother-in-law, when talking about Nebraska football, will always say that "we are playing today" or "we won/lost the game".
My response to her is always "when did you start playing or ever play football for Nebraska?"

I used to have a hard line stance on this, but have lightened on it recently. I can at least see why you could do it with a college team. I went to ISU. Spent a ton of money to go there. Have a degree from there. I can at least make a weak case that I can say we referring to Iowa State (even though technically it’s not the Iowa State Cyclones, it’s the Iowa State Cyclones football team.)

I absolutely can’t make that same argument when it comes to professional sports or teams of a school you didn’t attend.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

"Minnesota is challenging the ruling on the field, that the runner was down short of the line to gain."

Maybe I'm the only one, but I grew up with a newspaper editor mother who stressed that less was more.

Was she smiling at your dad when she said that? She may not have meant it.

• Funny
Reactions: PlanoClone

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
The absolute worst is every answer to ANY question on a broadcast is responded with "no question, he is "...." , without question, he ".......". It's the new ummmm, or errrr. They all say "no question" while they think about how they're going to answer. And everything they say has definite question to it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was listening to an interview after an ISU game and the player kept saying,"you know". That drives me nuts. If we all knew, why did Walters ask and why you mentioning that.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
If you're going to say a team hasn't done X since Y, make sure it's a meaningful span of time. I hate it when a broadcaster says, or journalist writes, "It is (TEAM NAME)'s first win here since 2015." Three years? Ooooh, wow! Did TVs even exist back then?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I hate when they call them southmores instead of soph. Not sure where that term came from. Frosh instead of calling them freshman.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
For sure, and it’s extremely annoying. I think a lot of white hats either conciously or subconsciously like being in the spotlight and milk it for all its worth. I wish I could remember which NFL game it was a few weeks ago but the ref was describing a call in way too much detail. Even started a sentence with “you see,” I was laughing so hard

I would've guessed Ed Hochuli if he wasn't retired...

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I get so tired of hearing commentators say a player is "One of the best in all of college football." They say it so often it's meaningless. I mean, they apply this phrase to damn near every player they talk about anymore.

Applies to basketball as well, and is just as annoying, if not more so. I'm looking at you, Seth Greenberg.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Not an Ed Hochuli fan?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I hate the mandatory coach interview going into halftime and then the opposing coach coming out of halftime. CMC this year coming out of halftime: "Well, we just have to keep playing." CPR a few years back, and my wife and I still quote this all the time with a chuckle: "Well, we need to make fewer mistakes and score more points."

I mean, these interviews are pointless. What can a coach possibly say that will have any meaningful interest to the viewers? He's not going to reveal any actual planned changes. "Well, Cindy Lou, we plan to blitz heavily on first downs this half cuz we think we can catch them off guard!" No, you'll never hear that. There is nothing a coach can say but we want to play better, we want to limit the other team, we want to reduce our penalties, blah, blah, blah...., all meaningless and a waste of time!

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Frankly I would rather a referee over explain a bit than under explain. So many times the fans in the stands, those watching at home and even the commentators don't understand the rules or don't see everything that the officials saw so a little explanation can be helpful. I am often having to explain rules to fans around me at games because they think ISU is getting screwed when it is actually just the rules of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored