Miami WR Cager to Transfer

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Read some small town Iowa papers and you are still likely to read about cagers, thinclads, and gridders. Not to mention you get to see rebounds referred to as carroms.
That's where I learned them. As well as "linksters" and "harriers." In my HS journalism class, those words were taught as shorter in headlines than "basketball player" etc.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Cager, fixes a lot with Butler leaving.
Allows Shaw to work in as a two and Porter to RS.

Scates and Johnson will be able to play the Murdock/ Eaton role instead of defenses keying on them. James is a likely RS.

Won't have much effect on Jones/ Milton at the M but Glass RS gives us a scary trio sitting out to ensure Purdy and Dean are going to have playmakers for years to come.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
I likey... let’s cage this guy (relax SpokaneCy...it’s a play on words). Guessing “secure his services” or “lock up” his commitment are off the table for you, too.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: SpokaneCY

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Cager, fixes a lot with Butler leaving.
Allows Shaw to work in as a two and Porter to RS.

Scates and Johnson will be able to play the Murdock/ Eaton role instead of defenses keying on them. James is a likely RS.

Won't have much effect on Jones/ Milton at the M but Glass RS gives us a scary trio sitting out to ensure Purdy and Dean are going to have playmakers for years to come.
Porter probably redshirts regardless.

As it sits now, the top WR’s are Jones, Milton, Akers, Johnson, & Martin.

Obviously hoping the young guys like Scates & Shaw can have an impact.

Definitely need veteran, big bodied receiver to bridge the gap.

• Agree
Reactions: Dandy and cyfan21

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

Just an opinion - Today, things are so precise in the passing game. Great tight coverage, small windows, very accurate passers. Having tall, large catch radius guys is a real plus. Remember when Rutgers beat us in a bowl game - their big receivers were too much for our db’s. We will miss Butler a lot. You throw it to a catchable spot and expect your receiver to go get it. I hope we can attract some big tall, large catch radius guys. Is Cager one? I do not know. Love Milton And Jones, Akers has speed, but we need the jump ball guy to be elite - imo. We have Kohler and Allen at TE, but they are not big play threats. bTW - talked to Terri Allen in San Antonio, we go way back. Chase will need surgery for his groin injury.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just an opinion - Today, things are so precise in the passing game. Great tight coverage, small windows, very accurate passers. Having tall, large catch radius guys is a real plus. Remember when Rutgers beat us in a bowl game - their big receivers were too much for our db’s. We will miss Butler a lot. You throw it to a catchable spot and expect your receiver to go get it. I hope we can attract some big tall, large catch radius guys. Is Cager one? I do not know. Love Milton And Jones, Akers has speed, but we need the jump ball guy to be elite - imo. We have Kohler and Allen at TE, but they are not big play threats. bTW - talked to Terri Allen in San Antonio, we go way back. Chase will need surgery for his groin injury.

Well THAT'S unexpected news... How long before he's full-go?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Milton and Akers have enough speed to get some separation. You either need big bodies to go up and over or speed guys to separate. Its great to have both. Allows the speed guys to make room for the possession guys in the middle. I could see this being how we run akers and milton down the field and have our taller TEs work the middle.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Yeah I read Cdubs article too. Don't agree with it but I read it. There's no way our receiving group suddenly becomes a bunch of 5-11 guys. If you look at Akers' production after the interceptions he handed the defenses you'll see a major dropoff.

Campbell doesn't care how long you've been here but instead what you can do.

Porter lacks strength but he has speed. He'll play if he's one of our best two big receivers available .

Scates is the best shot we have at a dominant receiver, if he's on the roster he's starting.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah I read Cdubs article too. Don't agree with it but I read it. There's no way our receiving group suddenly becomes a bunch of 5-11 guys. If you look at Akers' production after the interceptions he handed the defenses you'll see a major dropoff.

Porter lacks strength but he has speed. He'll play if he's one of our best two big receivers available .

Scates is the best shot we have at a dominant receiver, if he's on the roster he's starting.

I'm not so sure this is accurate. Shaw is the one the coaching staff singled out when asked about emerging young WRs. Him and the walk-on Tory Spears were both mentioned. The only time I heard Scates mentioned was when someone asked specifically about him. That's not to say he's a bust or anything. Maybe they didn't mention him because he was still in the doghouse.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'm not so sure this is accurate. Shaw is the one the coaching staff singled out when asked about emerging young WRs. Him and the walk-on Tory Spears were both mentioned. The only time I heard Scates mentioned was when someone asked specifically about him. That's not to say he's a bust or anything. Maybe they didn't mention him because he was still in the doghouse.
Would love for Shaw to be our next tall WR target. Dude has some great size.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think a large portion of our fan base is underestimating what we bring back at the WR position. Just because they haven't been playing doesn't mean they haven't been making huge strides behind the scenes.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I think a large portion of our fan base is underestimating what we bring back at the WR position. Just because they haven't been playing doesn't mean they haven't been making huge strides behind the scenes.

I agree with this, but I think people want to see stats to feel more comfortable with the new players. I remember not feeling nervous at all when Lazard graduated knowing ISU had Butler, but now the water is a little more muddy with no known production.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
I agree. I still think Jalen Martin is going to be a good one.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Yeah I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I really like Kolar. (yes I know he is a TE) Kid has good size, hands and speed. He is not Butler, but he also will most likely be covered by a LBer or a safety. Allen is pretty good too. Might see those guys get a lot more target at the beginning of next season.