Miami WR Cager to Transfer

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Read some small town Iowa papers and you are still likely to read about cagers, thinclads, and gridders. Not to mention you get to see rebounds referred to as carroms.

Frosty Mitchell land.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah I read Cdubs article too. Don't agree with it but I read it. There's no way our receiving group suddenly becomes a bunch of 5-11 guys. If you look at Akers' production after the interceptions he handed the defenses you'll see a major dropoff.

Campbell doesn't care how long you've been here but instead what you can do.

Porter lacks strength but he has speed. He'll play if he's one of our best two big receivers available .

Scates is the best shot we have at a dominant receiver, if he's on the roster he's starting.

IMO I'd like to see Scates and this kid step in, I'm with you. I really worry about Akers having a big part in the offense, just seemed like a lot of passes to him weren't completed.

• Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
He's a good receiver and a big target. People are making to much of the drops. As a Miami fan I watch every game of theirs that I can. He's a good receiver but their offense was garbage and didn't utilize him (or the other receivers) very well.

Plus we had plenty of folks on CF, prior to this year, ******** about Butler dropping passes. LOL.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I hope you're right. Do you want my e-mail in case I leave the board?

Sure! haha

After he was suspended the second time, he had a person dedicated to basically schedule every hour of the day and tell him what to do, when and where to be, pick him up etc. 1 more strike and he was off the team. He has straightened up a bit in the last 2 months with some help. Time will tell though.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sure! haha

After he was suspended the second time, he had a person dedicated to basically schedule every hour of the day and tell him what to do, when and where to be, pick him up etc. 1 more strike and he was off the team. He has straightened up a bit in the last 2 months with some help. Time will tell though.

I have a little inside info on this, as well. I know one of his advisors, and they said that Scates is a really good kid who really enjoys Iowa State, and has been just kicking himself for his screw ups. Like you said, time will tell, but he apparently has a lot of drive to stay on the straight and narrow, now.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Most people think it is because of his weight. He is 6'4" but only 180. He needs more weight to survive in the big 12
He’s a WR. I’m guessing if he continues to add muscle in the next 8 months he’ll be big enough to fill a niche role. I think we’ll see him use his four games at least.

Cager would be a big get. I’m optimistic to see him, Glass, Milton, Scates, Martin, Johnson, Shaw, and the TE. A dark horse could be Spears the walkon. Even a guy like Akers has speed.

• Agree
Reactions: cyyote15

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Scates will be better than Lazard/Bulter, IF he pulled his head out of his @ss. He has the talent, just needs to mature a bit.

Anyone know what his status is with the coaching staff? Most of what I've read/heard about the kid has been negative and not related to play on the field.

Full steam ahead? Double Secret Probation?

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
He’s a WR. I’m guessing if he continues to add muscle in the next 8 months he’ll be big enough to fill a niche role. I think we’ll see him use his four games at least.

Cager would be a big get. I’m optimistic to see him, Glass, Milton, Scates, Martin, Johnson, Shaw, and the TE. A dark horse could be Spears the walkon. Even a guy like Akers has speed.

I think he has already started putting on some weight too. If I remember correctly, he only weighed like 165 when he committed to ISU. 247 now shows him at 180, but I agree. It would be nice to get him to ISU in the spring to give him more time to put on weight.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Anyone know what his status is with the coaching staff? Most of what I've read/heard about the kid has been negative and not related to play on the field.

Full steam ahead? Double Secret Probation?

Basically off probation but has to earn his spot. He was suited at the bowl game as one person already noted here. One more issue and its buh bye.