Miami WR Cager to Transfer

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That really hasn't stopped under Rhoads either though. In 2018, Kempt was our returning highly-touted QB who got injured. Noland stepped in but was replaced in Game 4 or 5.

I would absolutely love for Purdy to continue to grow into a stud that strikes fear into the other conference teams. If we continue to do what has happened every year this decade, however, Purdy will go 1-3 to start the year and then Re-Al Mitchell will step in and lead the team to an 8-5 finish.

Edit: changed words for Noland, people didn't like "regressed."

Noland did not regress, he just was not mobile, and not super accurate. Purdy, as far as I can see, has a pretty complete skill set, which will make it harder for DCs to zero in on him. Sometimes he has trouble with his reads, but he is still a freshman. I think the QB coach is a pretty good one too. Part of the problem with CPR is that there was a lot of changes in QB coaches with his staff. Continuity in the coaching staff is very important.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't quite know what you're getting at here. You seem upset with me, and I don't know why. I'm quite happy with our trend of winning. All I commented on was another trend of ours, which is last season's good QB becoming this season's discarded QB. That started with Rhoads (as @isufbcurt pointed out) and I commented that it technically hasn't ended yet.
I think it did end though, when Kyle got hurt; and not benched like Park and Zeb. It was going to be KK's last season anyway so we can't know for sure that Brock would've permanently supplanted him (...he would have). If Re-Al passes Brock the trend might be real but it'll be one that we all fall in love with because it means Re-Al is really ****ing good. That said, I think Brock is ISU's starting QB for three more years.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Guy had an ACL as a sophomore and was extremely under-utilized as a junior.

https://caneswarning.com/2018/11/03...lawrence-cager-among-accs-best-when-targeted/

"Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Lawrence Cager is one of the most efficient in the ACC according to Pro Football Focus.
The eponymous football metrics site sent out a Tweet on Wednesday that listed Cager as the fourth best wide receiver in ACC with a minimum of 25 targets when measured by quarterback rating. Miami Hurricanes quarterbacks have a rating of 129.8 when targeting the Redshirt Junior wide receiver."

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think it did end though, when Kyle got hurt; and not benched like Park and Zeb. It was going to be KK's last season anyway so we can't know for sure that Brock would've permanently supplanted him (...he would have). If Re-Al passes Brock the trend might be real but it'll be one that we all fall in love with because it means Re-Al is really ****ing good. That said, I think Brock is ISU's starting QB for three more years.

I would say Kempt getting hurt continues the trend of this "ISU QB Syndrome". ISU can't seem to keep a QB healthy for an extended period. Jantz, Barnett, Richardson, and Kempt all got knocked out at one point or another by injuries, and the next guy had to roll in (or in some cases come back from being out due to injury), creating these continual QB "controversies". The years of subpar OL play takes its toll. How many games did Baker Mayfield miss at OU in three years?

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I would say Kempt getting hurt continues the trend of this "ISU QB Syndrome". ISU can't seem to keep a QB healthy for an extended period. Jantz, Barnett, Richardson, and Kempt all got knocked out at one point or another by injuries, and the next guy had to roll in (or in some cases come back from being out due to injury), creating these continual QB "controversies". The years of subpar OL play takes its toll. How many games did Baker Mayfield miss at OU in three years?

Fair point.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I did notice that despite a decent 6 touchdowns, Cager’s total yardage on the year was something like 365 yards. Two games for Hakeem.

“The U” quarterbacks must have been awful.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I did notice that despite a decent 6 touchdowns, Cager’s total yardage on the year was something like 365 yards. Two games for Hakeem.

“The U” quarterbacks must have been awful.

FWIW: Cager averaged 17.8 yards per reception on 21 receptions, which would have tied him with OU's CeeDee Lamb for 31st in the nation in YPR if Cager would've have had enough receptions to qualify for the rankings (23). But I think it says something about Miami's QBs and overall offensive scheme that they are only getting their big play receiver 21 catches for the year. Hakeem had 60 catches in 2018 so it's obvious why Cager might be interested in the Cyclones.