Spring football season

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If there is no football in the fall, then there will be no football in the spring. Unless we get a vaccine discovered by mid fall.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The sad thing is it was always up to each of us. But poor leadership all around has basically cost everyone something that brought them joy. It might be too late for football, but the winter sports could be a different story if we all do our part.

The fact that somebody replied “funny” to this explains how we got into this situation.
I really doubt basketball will be played either. Extremely poor leadership, and lack of caring for each other, will have amongst its consequences the likely cancellation of many sports. Sadly, it did not have to be this way - but I looks to me to be too late for even basketball, let alone football.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't see football on the college level happening at all. To many things. Pro football I think will be played. Those players are not in class everyday. They have more money to build different things like quarantine buildings and so on. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I bet a lot of schools have to give up football if no season is played. The losses will be to big.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't see football on the college level happening at all. To many things. Pro football I think will be played. Those players are not in class everyday. They have more money to build different things like quarantine buildings and so on. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I bet a lot of schools have to give up football if no season is played. The losses will be to big.
I saw something out of Tuscaloosa saying the city will end up losing 1 Billion dollars if football is cancelled.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I saw something out of Tuscaloosa saying the city will end up losing 1 Billion dollars if football is cancelled.

Isn't that where they've been having Covid parties including putting money in a hat to see who can get it first?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Isn't that where they've been having Covid parties including putting money in a hat to see who can get it first?
No clue, but Alabamans and smart decision making aren't two words usually seen together in a sentence.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No clue, but Alabamans and smart decision making aren't two words usually seen together in a sentence.

I think it's yet to be confirmed but was definitely on the rumor mill.

Alabamans in the summer: We're spreading Covid for fun on purpose.

Alabamans in the fall: Whar football?!

Reactions: Cyclad

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think it's yet to be confirmed but was definitely on the rumor mill.

Alabamans in the summer: We're spreading Covid for fun on purpose.

Alabamans in the fall: Whar football?!
I know for a fact there were college kids spitting into each other's mouths at parties and called it a "Covid Party" and like 30 of them got infected. Have no idea where that was but remember seeing it online.

I do think CFB is played in some capacity still. Not even saying the season won't get cancelled after they start. I just think there will be games played. Pro sports in my mind will definitely be back, and I do believe college basketball will end up being played as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I know for a fact there were college kids spitting into each other's mouths at parties and called it a "Covid Party" and like 30 of them got infected. Have no idea where that was but remember seeing it online.

I do think CFB is played in some capacity still. Not even saying the season won't get cancelled after they start. I just think there will be games played. Pro sports in my mind will definitely be back, and I do believe college basketball will end up being played as well.

I've been watching 'The Tournament' the last few nights.

No crowd but otherwise a pretty normal looking event. It's getting to that point and sustaining it that's going to be an issue with activities that have way more moving parts.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've been watching 'The Tournament' the last few nights.

No crowd but otherwise a pretty normal looking event. It's getting to that point and sustaining it that's going to be an issue with activities that have way more moving parts.
The Tournament is a perfect event given the fact it's single elimination. No hanging out after. No funny business.

I've been watching it too and think it's been pretty good without the spectators. Obviously will look different for the more prominent athletes / teams, but it hasn't really looked or felt much different.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
todays # according to Google... 338 deaths/36,390 new cases = a .9% rate so still a 99% survival rate.. and how many of those deaths had a preexisting condition??? and besides red cross blood drives, most of which are an hr away currently.. who else is performing them with out major cause/reasoning??
I think there's a flaw in this thinking as the rate of testing is changing and deaths are relative to the complications and duration of those complications. It's not apples to apples. 'Total' numbers is all that can be assessed. And 'antibody' testing is retroactive by definition. I found their analysis very interesting and informative.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The sad thing is it was always up to each of us. But poor leadership all around has basically cost everyone something that brought them joy. It might be too late for football, but the winter sports could be a different story if we all do our part.

So wrong... Masks will only delay the whole thing at best. Leave the masks to only the most vulnerable and let the rest of us build some immunity.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Harvard announces all online classes this fall, I am sure rest of Ivy League will announce the same shortly.
Rutgers just announced all online classes this fall semester. This is just the start. However, could actually allow football season to happen because less exposure for athletes because they don't have to be on campus. Question will be if States and schools will basically say its not safe for students to be on campus yet we want them to play football because of money? I think the only way there will be a season this fall is no fans, and conference only games. But it is probably going to be the case there are games cancelled during the season if it does go forward.

The Ivy League schools are looking horrible. My kids will never go there (yea I know haha). They could just shut down for all I care.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Yep we ***** footed around with Covid far too long..

like I said before 60 and older or those with 2 or more per existing conditions should wear masks and stay away from people..

mortality rate for everyone else, although not zero, is not plague.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Interesting question. But, then again if the 'risk' of death in football is greater than the risk of death by Covid, do you eliminate football altogether?
Well, it's not so we don't need to consider it

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't think my tax clients want me doing their taxes during football season. Or maybe they do?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
like I said before 60 and older or those with 2 or more per existing conditions should wear masks and stay away from people..

Everyone needs to be wearing masks when out in public and distancing as much as possible. Period.

Protecting those at higher risk happens at the community level, not the individual level.

Not to mention it isnt a binary live\die thing, and people really need to move past phrasing it as such. Plenty of people who are younger and without pre existing conditions end up pretty ****** up by this for long lengths of time.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep we ***** footed around with Covid far too long..

And your answer for coaches over 60 with conditions, and those much younger than 60 with existing conditions that are put into a position of their workplace going back full bore with no accommodations?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So wrong... Masks will only delay the whole thing at best. Leave the masks to only the most vulnerable and let the rest of us build some immunity.

And there's something wrong with that?

You mean like keep it at bay until it weakens or fades or a vaccine becomes available to the masses?

You think people that are just out 'building some immunity' are going to be cognizant enough to not put themselves around the vulnerable?

Help Support Us

Become a patron