COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
But 'big markets' matter you said. Houston and DFW are 'big markets'.
1. They already have those markets
2. None of those schools are brand name enough to be in either one of those leagues.
A big brand in a small market would be attractive. I mean if you have a chance to add a Clemson you probably don't care the S. Carolina is already in the league. I mean there is a reason why Tech would be attractive to the Pac-12 and it isn't because of loyal fans or academics. It's adding eyes and Texas and helping schools in that conference recruit Texas.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
2. None of those schools are brand name enough to be in either one of those leagues.
A big brand in a small market would be attractive. I mean if you have a chance to add a Clemson you probably don't care the S. Carolina is already in the league. I mean there is a reason why Tech would be attractive to the Pac-12 and it isn't because of loyal fans or academics. It's adding eyes and Texas and helping schools in that conference recruit Texas.
Must suck to be stuck in 2010 and not realize things have changed, but that is where you are.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Given that logic, and using Tech as an example. Why wouldn't the Pac-12 want Houston over Tech? Houston as a city is a bigger market than Lubbock. Either one gets the Pac-12 in Texas so Houston should be a logical choice ahead of Tech right? Or TCU, SMU, or even North Texas all in DFW area would be too right?

Reactions: usedcarguy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The idea that big markets and viewers don't matter is the dumbest ******* thing I've heard. That's exactly what its about. You can pretend they're interested in loyal fans I stead of money if it makes you feel better I guess. If that meant anything there'd be conferences beating down our door now.
Thanks for explaining what everybody already fully understands- the rationale for adding Rutgers in 2014.

But were you paying attention at all at that time? Everybody understood that Rutgers was onlyvaluable in a cable and satellite dominated media, where subscribers had those channels as part of their package, whether they watch them or not. Even at that time cable and satellite trends were heading south fast, so pretty much everybody understood their value would drop accordingly and eventually be a drag once on demand and a la carte become dominant in college sports UNLESS the money and prestige of being in the Big 10 elevate Rutgers into a team that people watch. It hasn’t. They will be good with Schiano, so they might be banking on that.

But in the end teams that have value either draw well even in years that aren’t great, OR their programs are such that bad years are unlikely. Rutgers is neither.

Again, I’m not saying ISU is highly valuable. But Rutgers is absolutely worthless. Baylor and TCU are not valuable at all either.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Given that logic, and using Tech as an example. Why wouldn't the Pac-12 want Houston over Tech? Houston as a city is a bigger market than Lubbock. Either one gets the Pac-12 in Texas so Houston should be a logical choice ahead of Tech right? Or TCU, SMU, or even North Texas all in DFW area would be too right?
Tech is a better brand than Houston. Ask yourself this, where is it more expensive to run an ad=New York or Des Moines? If the conference is the beneficiary of the money New York is always going to make you more cash. The ad revenue in those markets is crazy good.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Thanks for explaining what everybody already fully understands- the rationale for adding Rutgers in 2014.

But were you paying attention at all at that time? Everybody understood that Rutgers was onlyvaluable in a cable and satellite dominated media, where subscribers had those channels as part of their package, whether they watch them or not. Even at that time cable and satellite trends were heading south fast, so pretty much everybody understood their value would drop accordingly and eventually be a drag once on demand and a la carte become dominant in college sports UNLESS the money and prestige of being in the Big 10 elevate Rutgers into a team that people watch. It hasn’t. They will be good with Schiano, so they might be banking on that.

But in the end teams that have value either draw well even in years that aren’t great, OR their programs are such that bad years are unlikely. Rutgers is neither.

Again, I’m not saying ISU is highly valuable. But Rutgers is absolutely worthless. Baylor and TCU are not valuable at all either.
You guys act like nothing can change with these schools. Who's to say ISU will remain the national football power we've become the last 9 months. Rutgers may end up turning things around and be a massive add to the Big 10. I think decisions are made with long term potential in mind and not just how it makes the conference look for a 2-3 year period.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Tech is a better brand than Houston. Ask yourself this, where is it more expensive to run an ad=New York or Des Moines? If the conference is the beneficiary of the money New York is always going to make you more cash. The ad revenue in those markets is crazy good.

Houston has a bigger enrollment than Tech, in a bigger city than Tech. So bigger city = more ad revenue according to you, so Houston would make more sense than Tech using your parameters.

Reactions: usedcarguy

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Houston has a bigger enrollment than Tech, in a bigger city than Tech. So bigger city = more ad revenue according to you, so Houston would make more sense than Tech using your parameters.
It's like a giant community College. UCF has like 60k enrollment also. They aren't big brands. TV markets and your brand are what it's about. You clearly get a pass with having lousy football if you can bring a big market with you.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
ISU did pretty last year in ratings

Being relevant in football is going to make our "floor" the Pac-12
or it could make is 3rd highest paid in a decentralized conference, JP needs to be a visionary here to save this and gain leverage

Last edited:

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
ISU vs. Nebraska. ISU vs. Minnesota. ISU vs. Wisconsin.

ISU is in a position to create their own destiny. Win the Big 12. Make CFP. Iowa State is in so much better shape today. Iowa State to Big Ten. Perfect geographic fit. Perfect academic fit. Perfect culture fit.
I would think this could be part of the pitch for ISU. The intensity and passion around those games would drive some more viewers to watch as well.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Rutgers resides in a TV market that completely dwarfs ISU's TV market.... yet WAY more ISU fans will pay the subscription price to stream ISU football than Rutgers fans will.... so little old ISU is a lot more attractive.

I'm not sure of that. I'd like to believe you're right, but there was a ton of pissing and moaning on this board when ISU had games moved to ESPNPlus last year and it appears Cyclones.TV never really got the numbers they wanted. Seems like a whole bunch of people wouldn't sign up - and that's of a subset of population of our fans who go to "CycloneFanatic". What do the non-"fanatics" do? We like to believe we have a large and growing fan base, but where are the actual numbers? There's a whole bunch of cheap skates on this board who won't even sign up to support the site.

Prove me wrong everyone, prove me wrong! When the time comes to sign-up for those streaming services everyone needs to do so in the new world to show the interest ISU truly generates.

Legend12

May 9, 2008
You guys act like nothing can change with these schools. Who's to say ISU will remain the national football power we've become the last 9 months. Rutgers may end up turning things around and be a massive add to the Big 10. I think decisions are made with long term potential in mind and not just how it makes the conference look for a 2-3 year period.

National. Football. Power.

lol

Reactions: FatNTired

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm not sure of that. I'd like to believe you're right, but there was a ton of pissing and moaning on this board when ISU had games moved to ESPNPlus last year and it appears Cyclones.TV never really got the numbers they wanted. Seems like a whole bunch of people wouldn't sign up - and that's of a subset of population of our fans who go to "CycloneFanatic". What do the non-"fanatics" do? We like to believe we have a large and growing fan base, but where are the actual numbers? There's a whole bunch of cheap skates on this board who won't even sign up to support the site.

Prove me wrong everyone, prove me wrong! When the time comes to sign-up for those streaming services everyone needs to do so in the new world to show the interest ISU truly generates.
The complaining about ESPN+ is because they took those games from regular tv where everyone got them. They did this even though they said they wouldn’t. If you think there’s a lot of Iowa State people who wouldn’t sign up then how many for the big schools do you think are signing up. Fair weather fans regardless of fanbase aren’t going to convert. Our fanbases is intensely loyal. That will lead to a higher conversion rate.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Living in B1G country I know I'd get **** for little ol' ISU joining the conference, and there would probably be disdain for it...those same people giving me **** would look at me sideways when I'd tell them how disappointing it would be to lose the B12.
The typical Minnesota fan would like to add ISU and drop Iowa if the money is close to the same.