COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
What constitutes a P5 conference? Whose choice is it to make that distinction? The media? Just curious.

NCAA thru the Div 1 council... The big 12 is still a Power conf eligble for playoffs etc...if it has 8 teams...Once it drops to below 6 teams it is no longer a conference according to NCAA byLaws I believe.

It is not up to the Media or other conferences to dtermine Power 5....It is more FBS vs FCS....As far as playoffs and bowls are concerned those are determined by conference affiliation and the CFP committee.

Reactions: Cloneon

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe, but how about the bamas, OUs, Georgia and Florida’s look at a way to attract the blue bloods (ESPN is helping also) and they accumulate these teams into the SEC for a bit and then break off into their own high level football conference of 12-16 or so. If they pull the top of each conference, they will let the vandys, Mizzous, Mississippi’s all have their SEC money forever how long and then walk away while those teams end up like the rest of the big 12.
This is not going to happen. If it was a remote possibility all those schools would vote against OU and Texas and blow this up. No one is leaving or getting kicked out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is not going to happen. If it was a remote possibility all those schools would vote against OU and Texas and blow this up. No one is leaving or getting kicked out.
It’s the alligator metaphor, keep feeding it the other teams so it doesn’t eat you. You make as much as you can and try to elevate yourself as much as you can so you can land in the best spot possible. Never say never

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They won’t. And I don’t get why people keep bringing up this ridiculous scenario. No one is leaving the SEC. It would be suicide.
Yeah, that's lala land stuff. Missouri and A&M aren't leaving. They may ***** and moan about the move, but at the end of the day they are just going to have to bend over and take it like everyone else not named Alabama. What will really be rich is when UT and OU have this realization one day as well, because they are just another team not named Alabama in the SEC..

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
It’s the alligator metaphor, keep feeding it the other teams so it doesn’t eat you. You make as much as you can and try to elevate yourself as much as you can so you can land in the best spot possible. Never say never
And SEC might change their mind and invite ISU and TCU instead of Texas and OU. I give this scenario as much plausibility as that.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyclones12321

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Maybe, but how about the bamas, OUs, Georgia and Florida’s look at a way to attract the blue bloods (ESPN is helping also) and they accumulate these teams into the SEC for a bit and then break off into their own high level football conference of 12-16 or so. If they pull the top of each conference, they will let the vandys, Mizzous, Mississippi’s all have their SEC money forever how long and then walk away while those teams end up like the rest of the big 12.
This would never happen because no network would want this. If they essentially become their own 16-20 team league that relegated the rest of CFB to a second tier there wouldn’t be enough inventory, and they would become a niche sports league. A top tier 20 team league with the rest of CFB losing interest would just kill it all.
While Disney, Fox, CBS are competing, there’s also necessary synergy as there is interest across networks and conferences, since they are all playing in the same division, fighting for rankings, playoff spots, etc.

A 20 team break off league, no matter who is in it, will be a massive failure. The networks know this. The conferences know this. The best case for the SEC is to get even better, but still be in a league with the other conferences.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Thinking of the pluses and minuses for ISU and KU to the B1G.

Academics - this is a plus for both

Geography - A little better geographical fit for ISU but not significant. KU would be the Southwestern most outpost of the conference.

Athletic performance - ISU should have an advantage because "football is all that matters" and with Campbell we are the rising star. KU football is pathetic and could hold back the addition.

KU is a blue blood in MBB. And there's some merit there. Not sure how much weight that adds to their desirability. ISU has had their moments in the last 30 years but perception-ally not KU level.

Income producing potential. KU does add most of Kansas and KC to the viewing population of the conference. ISU is perceived to be of lesser value because UofI already has its presence in the state of IA. The cable fade/transition to streaming, definitely affects this factor; if ISU added to the conference the Big Ten network as a streaming platform suddenly becomes must have for the ISU fanbase - where now it's a must to avoid.

Still hoping and praying we make the cut. As we all are...
Really have strong doubts of any of the remaining 8 getting into the BiG. I just don't think they would see a viable measured response available. While we would strengthen a poor west we're not someone they can put on their marquee.

In the end I think the Pac takes 4 (8 would cause a power shift). 4 gives them the Midwest footprint to get their games in better time slots, effectively kills the Big XII moving them up the pecking order and finally limits any outside schools to power broker the conference.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Really have strong doubts of any of the remaining 8 getting into the BiG. I just don't think they would see a viable measured response available. While we would strengthen a poor west we're not someone they can put on their marquee.

In the end I think the Pac takes 4 (8 would cause a power shift). 4 gives them the Midwest footprint to get their games in better time slots, effectively kills the Big XII moving them up the pecking order and finally limits any outside schools to power broker the conference.
I agree with this. B1G is the optimal outcome. But I give it about a 15% chance of happening. The PAC option is probably the most likely outcome. A reconstituted Big XII is a very poor result for us and I would probably lose major interest in college sports, especially FB.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Any thoughts on what this says about the state of college football?

For the University of Hawaii, attendance has dropped from about 30-40k per game in the 80's and early 90's to 20-30k per game recently. The population on Oahu (the island where UH plays) has increased during that time period and there hasn't been a major fall sport added to the island during that time period.

Well, Aloha Stadium is pretty much a dump and has been condemned, right?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I agree with this. B1G is the optimal outcome. But I give it about a 15% chance of happening. The PAC option is probably the most likely outcome. A reconstituted Big XII is a very poor result for us and I would probably loose major interest in college sports, especially FB.
A reconstituted XII is a death sentence. Not really an option at all. There will be P4 after this. We (literally) can't afford to be in the G5/G6.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Give this man a cigar. This is the endgame.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

This is like the ONE thing in our favor that cheers me up. We are either 1 or 1a of the remaining 8 teams. So there should be a little bit of FOMO for both pac and b1g. And that may make them both want to move fast.

I hope.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Exactly. ESPN is working behind the scenes on the UT OU to SEC move. To make it more likely to work they say they don't want to pay for Big XII - which makes UT and OU decide to jump to where the big $$$ is - the SEC.

I think ESPN is maybe the biggest prick in this scene. Followed by the SEC. And UT OU took the easy way out.
If we get screwed in this deal I’m not renewing anything Disney. I don’t need it, and I will be spiteful.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Getting worried about the prospects of Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC jumping ship to the B1G. Could be B1G vs SEC and whoever doesn't make the cut is relegated to little kid table.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I keep seeing posts where people are saying ISU, TTU, KSU and OSU to the PAC. Are they assuming KU is going to the B1G without ISU? They never really say that. I would think, obviously, that KU would be a more attractive option to PAC than KSU for sure.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Oh there's the interest. The problem is we just took on $60M in debt we would have to service with a much smaller revenue base. If we drop $10M a year in revenue, that debt becomes difficult to service.
Yeah, we have put so much effort and money in and we definitely have P5 football and basketball programs so, yeah, there needs to be every effort made to be in the best conference possible.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy