COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Missouri will roll over like a cheap #####.
Yes and Missouri is a cheap blonde suit. (no offense to blondes).

I could give a @#$% about Missou right now. They are probably laughing at all of this. Scr9w em.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
The B1G would be ISU's best landing spot. But I'm not going to lie -- I'd love it if ISU ended up in the PAC 12. I could drive to games, and some of the miserable 11:00 a.m. kickoff times would actually be 11:00 a.m. (not 9:00 a.m. on the West Coast).

Catclone

Feb 10, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
The goal is one college football superleague, under the direction of the SEC and ESPN. If that is the endgame, the Big 10 stands the same chance of losing teams (OSU, MI, PSU) that the Big 12 does, right?

I'm not sure what about the current circumstance demands the Big 10 add more teams.
Still holding this view? In the past 24 hrs, my scenario is looking pretty good. There's no way the Big 10 sits this one out while other conferences go to 16. Whatever you believe about 'prestige' will be overruled by the need to keep parity with 16 team conferences.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and Rods79

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Important to plan for what's most in the control of our remaining 8 teams as much as possible while also negotiating to join with teams from other P5 conferences. We don't know what the Big 10 and Pac 12 ultimately want so that is less in our control. What's most in our control is to invite schools like Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, Memphis or Houston which average at least 25k fans and have good programs. Inviting G5 schools also sends the signal that we want to grow big time college football by giving more schools a chance to join a stronger conference. For example, schools like San Diego State, Boise State, East Carolina, SMU and Fresno State also have good fan bases and want to have a chance to compete and win against the best competition possible. Growing the sport means giving them an opportunity in the relatively near future to do this. In turn you engage those fan bases more in national college football. The SEC is a cut above and may start a super league, but maybe there is enough interest for there to be another league that has teams in areas without super league teams. Or maybe another sport or sports will take the place of college football in those areas.

Oh there's the interest. The problem is we just took on $60M in debt we would have to service with a much smaller revenue base. If we drop $10M a year in revenue, that debt becomes difficult to service.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Still holding this view? In the past 24 hrs, my scenario is looking pretty good. There's no way the Big 10 sits this one out while other conferences go to 16. Whatever you believe about 'prestige' will be overruled by the need to keep parity with 16 team conferences.

I agree. If they don't take teams now, that window closes. There will not be another situation like this available for a generation.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
It's the ad revenue and other revenue you add by being in NY. Loyal fans don't mean **** if you dont have a big fan base. I guess I don't know what some of you are seeing that leads you to believe they don't care of they are in larger markets. Just the idea that they have a footprint in NYC is huge for them.

It's important, but far less important than 10 years ago and even less important 10 years from now. Cord cutting is not slowing down.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Oh there's the interest. The problem is we just took on $60M in debt we would have to service with a much smaller revenue base. If we drop $10M a year in revenue, that debt becomes difficult to service.
What debt?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Emphasize to the B1G the value of having lightning in a bottle with Campbell. They've seen how hard it is to find the next big thing. Fleck, Frost, even Harbaugh at a college level. They were hyped and not only are they not winning, they have no identity and no foundation. Matt Campbell has made everything they have struggled with look easy.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Emphasize to the B1G the value of having lightning in a bottle with Campbell. They've seen how hard it is to find the next big thing. Fleck, Frost, even Harbaugh at a college level. They were hyped and not only are they not winning, they have no identity and no foundation. Matt Campbell has made everything they have struggled with look easy.
I would guess that this would likely be an ineffective pitch, as coaches are temporary. Certainly would not hurt. The BIG is the obvious first option. But, like when the Big 12 explored expansion - do you bring enough revenue to offset splitting the $ another way?
Not sure how we stack up. I must admit, I am pessimistic about how this plays out. Everything seems based on rumor, but it appears it’s going to be every man for himself.
I thought the 8 sticking together and adding some semi obvious choices deserved consideration. Could be a great BB league ( I know that does not matter) but would be a downgraded FB league. Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Central Florida, maybe even consider BYU, Boise, and San Diego State.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
ISU did pretty last year in ratings

Being relevant in football is going to make our "floor" the Pac-12

That's all I'm hoping for at this point. B1G would be the dream case, but I'd take the PAC 16 as a consolation prize.

I'm not interested in ISU being a part of anything else besides those two options at this point.

A revamped Big 12 does absolutely nothing for me unless you can pluck some teams from from another P4 conference, which isn't going to happen. No other P4 team right now would leave stability to go to instability.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would guess that this would likely be an ineffective pitch, as coaches are temporary. Certainly would not hurt. The BIG is the obvious first option. But, like when the Big 12 explored expansion - do you bring enough revenue to offset splitting the $ another way?
Not sure how we stack up. I must admit, I am pessimistic about how this plays out. Everything seems based on rumor, but it appears it’s going to be every man for himself.
I thought the 8 sticking together and adding some semi obvious choices deserved consideration. Could be a great BB league ( I know that does not matter) but would be a downgraded FB league. Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Central Florida, maybe even consider BYU, Boise, and San Diego State.
Have a feeling OU and UT may have said they weren’t in favor of expanding if money wasn’t quite a bit more with an idea that they wanted to move anyhow.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
That's all I'm hoping for at this point. B1G would be the dream case, but I'd take the PAC 16 as a consolation prize.

I'm not interested in ISU being a part of anything else besides those two options at this point.

A revamped Big 12 does absolutely nothing for me unless you can pluck some teams from from another P4 conference, which isn't going to happen. No other P4 team right now would leave stability to go to instability.
Although I fundamentally agree, remember, this may not be our choice. We can propose marriage but the other must agree.