PODCAST: Perspective on this morning's news, where things might be heading

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

10000 foot overview:

Big should attack PAC.
[/QUOTE]
OK, thx. I don't think I'll waste my time listening.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I can see the B1G taking them actually but I really think the SEC long game here is going beyond 16. If they're shooting for a total CFB makeover with them as the top dog it's going beyond 16.....we'll see. I just don't see stopping at 16 as making sense for the OU/Tex move...it makes more sense if the ultimate goal is an uber conference IMO
16 won't even come close to succeeding. They'll need 64.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
IMO the tipping point comes when some conferences pretty much stop actual affiliation to the college mission. I think the SEC is headed that way but will conferences that seem to emphasize the "education" part of college football want to follow?
Maybe the line is already so blurred between football and college it won't really matter?

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No way is Williams getting inside info from the Athletic Department. Have a connection myself to someone who works next to Pollard and he doesn't even know anything at this time.
Pollard sit at a cube? Always thought he had an actual office.

• Funny
Reactions: Fishhead

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
P
No way is Williams getting inside info from the Athletic Department. Have a connection myself to someone who works next to Pollard and he doesn't even know anything at this time.

He prob knows and also is prob under an NDA..

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Its a fantastic time to try Premium and give a little value back to CW and team. I've enjoyed the site for 14+ years without paying a cent, it was passed due time for me to do premium. I don't anticipate staying premium forever as there are times of the year where I'm not on this site much, but its a fantastic time to do it! I've enjoyed all 6 updates.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm honestly surprised how many people don't really understand what Big 10 membership really is about. The athletic budgets pale in comparison to what these schools get in research and patent money. At the end of the day, tOSU and Michigan ADs can desire all they want to go to the SEC, but the Universities are not going to give up the loss in prestige and research money to go play football somewhere else.
I have worked in research for a decade. Federal grants in the millions and tens of millions. I can say there has literally been zero mention, thought or influence of athletic conference at any point. People writing and awarding research grants probably don’t have a clue what conference a school is in. I’m not sure why people tie an individual school’s conference to its ability to attract research dollars.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have worked in research for a decade. Federal grants in the millions and tens of millions. I can say there has literally been zero mention, thought or influence of athletic conference at any point. People writing and awarding research grants probably don’t have a clue what conference a school is in. I’m not sure why people tie an individual school’s conference to its ability to attract research dollars.

I just thought it was a way for B1G fans to find something to humble brag about after their basketball teams flailed around this past March.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
From reading the last page or so I envision a scenario that the BiG lets Texas keep the LHN, so OU brings Okie lite to the SEC, we still get the BiG invite and KU joins the Big East and plays D-1 NS football in the Pioneer League.

Everybody gets what they really want.

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
I agree, there seems to be some notion that the research grant money comes to the conference somehow, or the BIG has a pool of money and they decide to hand it out to universities in the BIG. I am not familiar with how the BIG Academic Alliance operates but I imagine it fosters collaboration among researchers in the BIG, and looks for ways to increase probability of funding by identifying research groups from the BIG which complement each other for a funding opportunity, all good things. But its not like NSF, CDC, USDA etc. care what conference you are in, its not like TV rights where ESPN makes a deal with a conference. Funding agencies don't fund projects because you are in a conference or send the money to the conference, they fund specific researchers who submit a proposal. Researchers get funded because of their abilities and the strength of their collaborative team. And yes the BIG has some very good researchers and capabilities and they get a tremendous amount of funding. But it is not because they are in the BIG, it is because they are good at what they do and so are others. I have served on many panels reviewing research proposals and submitted my own. It is based on the researchers and the team they put together, what conference you are in has little impact in my experience.