PODCAST: Perspective on this morning's news, where things might be heading

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The B1G poaching the Pac-12 would at least take the worst case scenario off the table for ISU (an American landing spot) because the Big 12 and Pac-12 leftovers would simply merge, maybe with a BYU or Boise State added in there. That’s not great and it would be a 50% pay cut probably but there’s no way that the sport would write off the only significant conference focused west of the Mississippi. We’d hang around that way.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Big Donations are mainly done by businesses or people who have successful businesses who would then just expense them as advertising expenses as part of the business..
I think the bigger issue will be if schools start paying over what is considered the true cost of college. Are they now employees? FICA kick in? Workmen’s comp? If someone tears up a knee and says they can’t play football anymore, (figuring they were decent) can they still work completely saying they lose pro money?

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I hope I'm wrong, but to some extent I don't see why the B1G and PAC would want to rush out and grab more schools. Why wouldn't they wait and see what the SEC really has planned?

No one even knows that the SEC is going to maintain NCAA affiliation.
I'm thinking the B1G isn't gonna want to be left holding the bag. Seems like this OU/Tex deal was kept on the downlow until A&M spilled the beans. Who knows what else the SEC has in the works....can't see ND ever going to the SEC but I could see Clemson doing it. Maybe the SEC rapes the ACC next....Clemson, FSU, Miami etc....

The gauntlet has been thrown down and the B1G better answer (not super confident on that front)

Sorry for posting on your football board but these developments should concern everyone.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm thinking the B1G isn't gonna want to be left holding the bag. Seems like this OU/Tex deal was kept on the downlow until A&M spilled the beans. Who knows what else the SEC has in the works....can't see ND ever going to the SEC but I could see Clemson doing it. Maybe the SEC rapes the ACC next....Clemson, FSU, Miami etc....

The gauntlet has been thrown down and the B1G better answer (not super confident on that front)

Sorry for posting on your football board but these developments should concern everyone.
The positive now is Texas. They are in the SEC and you know in 10-20 years they will rot the core of that conference. So I think the big ten should grab ISU/KU and call it good.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If the Big 10 decides to add 2 schools, then ISU and KU make the most sense.
If they decide on more than 2, I think they need to look hard at adding Okie state as a possibility.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
The positive now is Texas. They are in the SEC and you know in 10-20 years they will rot the core of that conference. So I think the big ten should grab ISU/KU and call it good.
I can see the B1G taking them actually but I really think the SEC long game here is going beyond 16. If they're shooting for a total CFB makeover with them as the top dog it's going beyond 16.....we'll see. I just don't see stopping at 16 as making sense for the OU/Tex move...it makes more sense if the ultimate goal is an uber conference IMO

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Do you really need daily updates? I look at it as whatever happens happens, I ain't going to change things so the latest gossip that'll change in the next couple hours isn't worth paying for.

don't pay then but, you're missing out on good stuff!!!

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I remember when the last realignment earth quake took place. Hawk fans were laughing hysterically at the inevitable demise of ISU and here we are today, looking down at Iowa in the national rankings and in recruiting. They should probably be careful about laughing again this time. We might be looking down at them in the conference standings. Boy, I bet that would sting.
“Might”?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
It's amazing how a ****-ass athletic department can make so much money. Imagine the money they'd bring in if they actually won football games.
UT is a unique one Bc they dominate those auxiliary sports like tennis and women’s stuff, and actually make money on a lot of non hoops and football stuff. They’re infuriating

Reactions: Peter

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised how many people don't really understand what Big 10 membership really is about. The athletic budgets pale in comparison to what these schools get in research and patent money. At the end of the day, tOSU and Michigan ADs can desire all they want to go to the SEC, but the Universities are not going to give up the loss in prestige and research money to go play football somewhere else.
I truly hope this is always the case, but I guess I’m not sold on Big 10 and research consortium membership being one and the same forever.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
don't pay then but, you're missing out on good stuff!!!

On some level I also view it partially as a payment for everything else the site delivers. I listen to most of the podcasts and spend plenty of time on this site. Thats hours of content every week for me.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
you are literally missing out on twice daily updates from CW along with distilled conversation on what is happening. you don't have 2 hour old tweets about BS showing up.

Is it official news or just his own speculation...based off of tweets?