Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I thought the B. Bowlsby comment was interesting. JP has known him for a long time. Obviously he feels he knows what he is working with. May be he thinks if the time should come to exit left he feels best doing it with BB and not a backstabber. So decided to show a little support.

It has to be tough to have had so much confidence in your leadership and have found 9 years of stability after the league was pronounced dead, literally have the best season in school history and looking at topping that, and this comes out of nowhere. I don’t blame Bowlsby. Not expanding was absolutely the right call in 2016. There’s really nothing the other schools could have done to prevent UT and OU from doing this.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
They’ve got all of college football dissecting this like the Zapruder Film…this had to be a hard video to make in any case. The real question is why did they have to make a video?

yeah that in itself is interesting, the video…everyone else is threatening lawsuits and sending out tweets shitting themselves…Jaime had several days to think about this….hmmmmm

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
More I think about it…he was too calm, way too calm…we know he was lying, he knows he’s lying, he knows that we know he’s lying…that was Jaime saying “f you, you mother fing cucksucker, pay me my money and get out of my fing sight”

He’s got this, I was pretty down all week, but he’s got this..I’m sure now.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I disagree, the president and AD of a major university should be very comfortable on camera.
I disagree a lot. If that's the case Wendy needs a LOT of work in that department.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe it is the Pinot talking, or maybe I am just overconfident that our future will be fine, but the thing that concerned me the most from that video was the color difference between the two polos. Have we decided which shade of red should be our primary color?

It looked like Dr Wintersteen bought her polo at the bookstore this morning, while Jamie's had been through the wash about 1000 times. Pro tip: Gain Flings will help your shirt hold its color.

H

You obviously go with Black there, too. That was a BIG MISS.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Lol at anyone trying to read body language and tone off of that. It's a couple of people not entirely comfortable on camera reading a script. The result is something slightly awkward but gets the message across. Nothing more. I commend ISU for trying to put a little more effort and production behind the message, but its a carefully crafted statement meant to call OU and UTs bluff to play out the grant of rights until 2025. Nothing more.
The big thing I got out of it was that they needed to speed up the teleprompter because Jamie was having to take way too many awkward pauses waiting for it to catch up to him.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
They’ve got all of college football dissecting this like the Zapruder Film…this had to be a hard video to make in any case. The real question is why did they have to make a video?

When all your donors are upset, you can either respond to them individually, or this way. But you respond.

JP says this will take awhile, so I assume this means nobody in B1G or PAC is feeling like doing something until they know more about what the landscape will look like. That said, I know he and Dr. WIntersteen will do everything they can do.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
He’s just playing the game. Right now Texas and Oklahoma are the bad guys. Covering all his basis. He’s talking to the PAC, he’s talking to the B1G, he’s talking to a lot of people. Can’t come out and say anything until a few more schools all have landing spots locked up and they announce them all together otherwise we are on the hook just like Texas and Oklahoma.

nhwdmcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2012
I'd pay attention to more of what he says and not how he says it. He's an accountant not a silver tongued marketer.

"As we learned OU and TX INTEND to honor their grant of rights through 2025. IF that remains the case, we know the big 12 will continue to be viable..."

My interpretation. You think we're gonna all bolt for other conferences so the conference dissolves and you pay nothing. BS. We're all staying (even though we can back channel our plan B's just like you did), so if you want to leave early pay us. Once we're paid then we'll have some financial padding for our transition in the case we either have a lesser TV deal OR we don't get full membership of our new conference right off the bat.

Then what probably happens next...

OU TX to remaining 8: We get your point, we'll pay you 25% of what we owe.

Remaining 8 to OU TX: 80% and we'll leave you alone.

Then we land somewhere in the middle and everyone goes their marry way.

Also my interpretation of "show up to the games" is, we're attractive because you are an actively engaged fan base. Keep that reputation.

My two cents. I still feel good about this. Of course, very few people really know.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
The first time I watched it, I was optimistic about what may be going on behind the scenes. The second time I watched it, I focused more on the facial expressions and the language used. I felt like this was a video to prep fans for possible disappointment that could be looming

The small twitch of the left ear after saying “and” says otherwise.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Multiple thoughts.

Would have rather had no statement, but from formality perspective I get it. This just didn’t do much for me. I don’t think there was any panic, but just nothing exactly useful from this either. Didn’t really love the strong Bowlsby support statement. At the end of the day, this does fall on him for being so oblivious.

But I will remind everyone for all legal purposes, JP HAS to approach this from a public perspective that this is a “four year” timeline. Until Texas and OU make the early bolt (which they will) that has to be the stance and nothing more. He can’t just publicly say “yeah I have Barry Alvarez on speed dial.” Don’t read too much into that as if Jamie’s clueless here about how things may fall.
Not to throw more fuel on the fire, but Barry Alvarez retired on July 1st...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Some of you need to calm down… trying your hardest to decipher a little video.
“Jamie blinked twice when he said Texas… does that mean we are going D2??”
“Wendy shifted her weight when JP said OU… I’m pretty sure thats a hint that we are going to the SEC…”

Stop over analyzing and just drink a beer.
But its all we have right now....:confused: its our only bread crumb. LOL

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Some of you need to calm down… trying your hardest to decipher a little video.
“Jamie blinked twice when he said Texas… does that mean we are going D2??”
“Wendy shifted her weight when JP said OU… I’m pretty sure thats a hint that we are going to the SEC…”

Stop over analyzing and just drink a beer.
Neither one is good reading from a teleprompter, especially making sure they didn't say to much or too little (no going off script or adlibs allowed), but patting each other on the back to give us confidence in leadership as alums see a crisis at their University. And also, can't reveal or don't have yet a solution to the crisis. I would say the latter.