SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just glad we don't have this guy leading us through

Bruce_Van_De_Velde%27s_headshot.jpg
tenor.gif

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I am sure this is the case. By the sounds of it, it looks like a UT BOR has been the one doing the backroom talking with the SEC. Not sure if that shields UT at all, but I would assume a BOR would be able to have those discussions.
I'm not sure how the Texas BOR can be separated from the University. If they were talking on behalf of the University, they effectively are the University. Would love to get into discovery on how all this was initiated.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We waited for Texas and Oklahoma to make their formal statement yesterday morning, and then we remained in the dark while our lawyers, Jamie and Wendy got their ducks in a row. What was said last night told me a few things:
  1. Us other 8 members want our money (Duh). Texas, OU, the SEC / ESPN probably knew this would happen and will most likely be able to pay whatever they need to soon. (Which means you can throw out that statement about 4 years from Jamie)
  2. The Big 12 is done (we knew this). Jamie and Wendy didn’t mention really anything in regards to the conference’s future.
  3. Jamie will not tip his hand to anyone. We know he keeps things close to the vest, and we certainly know how delicate this situation is legally. It’s only been a few days since this has gone down and hasn’t even been a day since it’s been finalized. I’m not worried (at this time) that we haven’t found a landing spot yet.
  4. The verbiage used was definitely different than our other members. Jamie and Wendy weren’t making a sales pitch to other conferences nor were they bashing OU or Texas. “Optimistically” reading between the lines there, it leads me to believe that Jamie and Wendy are confident we’re going to come out better than most believe.
We have some great leadership and I wouldn’t want anyone else to lead us on this godforsaken journey.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I’m not following all the critiques of their performance. Wendy was great. She was like a reassuring grandmother when you fell off your bike and skinned your knee. No issue with her at all.

Then Jamie brought the hammer down on OU and Texas, basically saying “we own you for 4 years….oh yeah, and there’s a penalty.” ISU will land where it lands so why not force OU and Texas to stay for 4 years and endure all the enmity that comes with it. The best thing the other 8 schools can do is stay together and not accept a buyout. Gives everyone time to figure things out and for the politicians in Texas to #%^* with UT.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The bolded is what strongly comes through in the OkSU pres' statement. Maybe OkSU has some proof of this occurring; otherwise her statement is almost libelous. I'm guessing UT and OU were smart enough to not carry out any prior talks with the SEC on university email or other methods that could be obtained via open records requests, but you never know.

And, if as some claim, ESPN has been pulling strings behind all of this, they may find themselves in a lawsuit as well.
The only positive with all of this, is with the lawyers. The firms involved in this will be very busy and rolling in dough.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
We waited for Texas and Oklahoma to make their formal statement yesterday morning, and then we remained in the dark while our lawyers, Jamie and Wendy got their ducks in a row. What was said last night told me a few things:
  1. Us other 8 members want our money (Duh). Texas, OU, the SEC / ESPN probably knew this would happen and will most likely be able to pay whatever they need to soon. (Which means you can throw out that statement about 4 years from Jamie)
  2. The Big 12 is done (we knew this). Jamie and Wendy didn’t mention really anything in regards to the conference’s future.
  3. Jamie will not tip his hand to anyone. We know he keeps things close to the vest, and we certainly know how delicate this situation is legally. It’s only been a few days since this has gone down and hasn’t even been a day since it’s been finalized. I’m not worried (at this time) that we haven’t found a landing spot yet.
  4. The verbiage used was definitely different than our other members. Jamie and Wendy weren’t making a sales pitch to other conferences nor were they bashing OU or Texas. “Optimistically” reading between the lines there, it leads me to believe that Jamie and Wendy are confident we’re going to come out better than most believe.
We have some great leadership and I wouldn’t want anyone else to lead us on this godforsaken journey.
Great observation.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Pollard is sending a clear signal to OU and UT that they will have to pay the penalty (which amounts to a $18 million+ payout for each of the remaining Big 12 schools) if they want to jump ship right away. It's a smart move.

However, I'm guessing OU and UT will try to save themselves $150 million and wait this out because they know the other 8 schools will have a difficult time keeping the conference from imploding beyond this season.

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
Yeah she is. That video makes ISU seem so inconsequential.
Talking in front of lights and a camera is a lot different than speaking into your phone, laptop or desktop in a Zoom setting. I've done television performance coaching and she and JP have been put into the most difficult setting anyone can be in, especially if you are not already a pro at doing this. I say give her a break.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Half the people in here say that his body language is calm and positive, which is a good sign. The other half say that his body language shows sadness and anger, which is a bad sign.

What did I learn?

I need a drink.

The only thing I could see was the touching fingertips. Which in body language is the sign for world domination.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pollard is sending a clear signal to OU and UT that they will have to pay the penalty (which amounts to a $18 million+ payout for each of the remaining Big 12 schools) if they want to jump ship right away. It's a smart move.

However, I'm guessing OU and UT will try to save themselves $150 million and wait this out because they know the other 8 schools will have a difficult time keeping the conference from imploding beyond this season.
Given that these discussions have gone on for months with the SEC, I honestly think they’re going to try and get this done as quickly as possible and are eyeing 2022 as the ETA. The two schools, the SEC, and most importantly ESPN are going to want this to be immediate and I’m guessing are willing to help out in any way necessary.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Talking in front of lights and a camera is a lot different than speaking into your phone, laptop or desktop in a Zoom setting. I've done television performance coaching and she and JP have been put into the most difficult setting anyone can be in, especially if you are not already a pro at doing this. I say give her a break.
Go ahead and give her a break then. A university president should be more confident and commanding than that. That's what a leader is for.
In way over her head - as many people who know her best have said from day 1.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Agree. Not only that both Wendy and Jamie did just fine. I don't know why many have to be so anally retentive.

Last edited:

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Half the people in here say that his body language is calm and positive, which is a good sign. The other half say that his body language shows sadness and anger, which is a bad sign.

What did I learn?

I need a drink.

We learned who is a pessimist and who is an optimist on this board; we learned who stays calm in dicey situations and who panics.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It has to be tough to have had so much confidence in your leadership and have found 9 years of stability after the league was pronounced dead, literally have the best season in school history and looking at topping that, and this comes out of nowhere. I don’t blame Bowlsby. Not expanding was absolutely the right call in 2016. There’s really nothing the other schools could have done to prevent UT and OU from doing this.

IMO people are being unfairly hard on Bowlsby. What else could he really do? Obviously he was as blind sided by this as everyone else since OU, UT, and the SEC did this in the dark. OU and UT were never going to be happy and expansion was never a serious option. His hands have been tied since day one thanks to that sh!t bag Beebe.

Reactions: CYTUTT and aauummm

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Go ahead and give her a break then. A university president should be more confident and commanding than that. That's what a leader is for.
In way over her head - as many people who know her best have said from day 1.
Spoken from one who knows just the right way to do it?

Reactions: aauummm

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When all your donors are upset, you can either respond to them individually, or this way. But you respond.

JP says this will take awhile, so I assume this means nobody in B1G or PAC is feeling like doing something until they know more about what the landscape will look like. That said, I know he and Dr. WIntersteen will do everything they can do.

For GOR purposes nobody can really do much until OU and UT actually release their plan, then it's game on.

• Informative
Reactions: tolfbfan