Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But how does it make sense for existing SEC schools to add 2 new members and there isn't incremental TV rights? CBS still has their deal for 3-4 years.

The only way it would make sense is if ESPN feels it can reduce its Big12 media rights. I see lawyers all over that.
They can reduce them, but the GoR allows the b12 to hit leaving schools for that loss. If they claim we are worth 100MM after this instead of 400MM. That would equate to them paying 900MM plus the 160 MM penalty. Talking over half a million each. A&M really bent OU/UT over the desk.

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86 and aauummm

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Anyone else looking forward to chanting

"Four More Years!" When Texas runs out onto the field come November?

You want to go play in the SEC? Well you are just going to have to suck on it for a while until we say you can go. Of course, that is after we get paid extra to speed up the time table and we all have our exit plans figured out.

Relax people. We have all the leverage here. No need to panic.

F*ck that, we pants them this year in Jack Trice and chant SEC SEC SEC.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
This was 100% directed at the Traitors. There’s huge $ at stake here and the 8 need to squeeze everything they can get. Don’t rule out some kind of tortious interference claim against the SEC as well. Slinking around in the background, manipulating events and trying to cause contracts to be prematurely canceled makes for a strong claim by those injured.
I am not an attorney, but I have been involved in two tortious interference cases - one on each side of the table. I would think a tortious interference case would be highly effective in slowing things down and striking fear in the SEC and OU and UT. Can u imagine email discovery and depositions??? It would be fascinating. In the end, from the big 12's perspective, it is about buying time and legally inflicting as much pain as possible against these two pussies.

It has been said many times here - I actually think if they were honest and open on their desires, the big12 would have worked thru it and planned for whatever plan B is.

The way they handled this process.......make it as painful as possible for the traitors. That was the beauty of Jamie's and Wendy's response.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What's over? The B12? Very likely. But as I posted in another thread, this is about how the pieces fall over the next couple of years. There's way too much involved to expect a super conference in a short time. He's absolutely correct in preaching patience (one thing people are having less and less of). Of course they extended a plea in that our fans make the extra push this year to elevate Iowa State's value. It can be done from the board of regents to the casual fan in Alaska do the doctor in a lab. The longer the B12 can make the GOR work, the more time we have to further improve an already good position at the table. It's a chess game folks. It's as simple as that. Strategizing to improve your position so the final strike is indefensible.
Winning the b12 this year and making the playoffs would launch us into major position. It is honestly best if this drags out until Christmas in that scenario. Especially when JTS is 7 sell outs and we fill the Jerry world and announce huge semifinal sales. It will add one year to our string of success and who would t want a semi finalist?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
They can reduce them, but the GoR allows the b12 to hit leaving schools for that loss. If they claim we are worth 100MM after this instead of 400MM. That would equate to them paying 900MM plus the 160 MM penalty. Talking over half a million each. A&M really bent OU/UT over the desk.

Did A&M successfully sue/settle when they left? What do you mean by that last sentence? I'm confused.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did A&M successfully sue/settle when they left? What do you mean by that last sentence? I'm confused.
Our TV folks helped them. They actually upped our Media payments so it basically took damages off the table and schools said fine, leave since we get paid more without you. Unsure if they have notice or not or paid an exit fee, I know NU and Co did.

My last sentence is because UT/OU do not want to be in the b12 after this year. We can make them pay tv rights lost from them, plus penalties for no notification and a few other things. They would need to pay 3 years of TV rights, plus any difference that could occur in them, plus the notification penalty. You can even through on many expenses associated with this. AM is the one who let this out. Most likely they were planning to stick around for a year or two on the down low.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Pollard is sending a clear signal to OU and UT that they will have to pay the penalty (which amounts to a $18 million+ payout for each of the remaining Big 12 schools) if they want to jump ship right away. It's a smart move.

However, I'm guessing OU and UT will try to save themselves $150 million and wait this out because they know the other 8 schools will have a difficult time keeping the conference from imploding beyond this season.

I'd like to see a scenario where Texas and OU leave after this season, pay the penalty, the remaining Big 12 plays one more season and then disbands the conference. Just to collect the penalty from OU and Texas. Not sure if this would be legal under current conference contracts and stuff.

But OU and Texas are betting that the conference disbands the same time as they leave.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'd like to see a scenario where Texas and OU leave after this season, pay the penalty, the remaining Big 12 plays one more season and then disbands the conference. Just to collect the penalty from OU and Texas. Not sure if this would be legal under current conference contracts and stuff.

But OU and Texas are betting that the conference disbands the same time as they leave.

And not even a little bit sorry.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

This was my reading of it. A contract was signed, and everyone needs to abide by it, including Iowa State. The remaining 8 need to hang tight for a year or two, collect the OU and Texas GOR money and when the time is right with the Pac and B1G hopefully ready to add and a couple other schools have found a new landing place they can disband the conference with no penalty.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
I don't spend any time listening to audio or video of JP or GB, so it is impossible to contrast previous video announcements. With that said, JP seemed to be intentionally slow with his words. He did not sound confident. Again, I don't know if this is usual for him or not.
Teleprompter was running too slow:oops:

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
They're angling to soak OU and UT if they want out now, while most likely negotiating for a good landing spot whenever that deal is done.
If he's hammering the GOR where does that put ISU if/when we find a landing spot?

Seems short-sighted?
Agree. I think the 8 Big 12 schools want $$$$ from OU and Texas. Would be funny if Texas and OU pay up the $100 Million or whatever it is, leave, and then the remaining 8 vote to disband a couple of months later and trot off to their new conferences (hopefully ISU to the Big 10 of course).
I saw a guy that was publicly posturing to keep a pay day from Texas and OU on the table. I saw a guy that didn't tout our academics or read a statement that reeked of desperation so another conference would consider us. I saw confident leadership.
Spoiler alert: There will be a negotiated buyout. But Big 12 definitely is in the strongest position. If the numbers we are hearing are around $100 mil each, that’s $25 mil per school. Good, but not program-changing, money.
The big12 owns texas and ou broadcast rights for the next four years. Think of the value of that. It dwarfs the penalty they have to pay once they actually leave the conference. This could take a long time to wrap up.
Anyone else looking forward to chanting

"Four More Years!" When Texas runs out onto the field come November?

You want to go play in the SEC? Well you are just going to have to suck on it for a while until we say you can go. Of course, that is after we get paid extra to speed up the time table and we all have our exit plans figured out.

Relax people. We have all the leverage here. No need to panic.
I thought the messages was quite clear. We hang tough for 4 years and we pocket our normal TV rights money of $160M. UT and OU crap their pants since the SEC wants them early and they negotiate the buyout number which still is a big number.
On a serious note JP is spot on we have to pack JTS and Hilton to make ISU a even better commodity when all this settles out in a year or so.
Go Cyclones

If the remaining 8 schools are truly unified, this is brilliant....they can negotiate from a position of power, because for the next 4 years they legally hold the power if they stay together. The only way Texas and OU gain power back is if they wait out the entire deal, something they obviously do not want to do.

Texas and OU want something....the rest of the league is under little pressure to give them anything, much less at a discount. Every one of these AD's took on debt under the assumption that the Big 12 media money was going to be flowing.....if Texas and OU want out, they need to pay for that along with any entry fees to other conferences.

I'd start "negotiations" by telling them that it'll cost $1 billion dollars each for every year they want out early....they can be out next week and we can even reshuffle the schedule this year if the league gets to split $8 billion. Oh, that's too much you say? ESPN won't cover that check? Then tough ****, better pump the brakes on your move east...welcome to limbo, enjoy the 11am start times.

The other 8 should have some kind of agreement in place that states no one leaves until the media deal is up......look around and agree on joining another conference if the opportunity arises, but not until 2025. This lets them take advantage of the current media rights deal, gives them some time to be patient and some flexibility to jump at an opportunity.....worst case scenario they make some money in the meantime, buy time to iron out financial plans, add some teams in 2025 because no other leagues expand, and become football irrelevant 4 years after they would have had they panicked in 2021.