What are you reading?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone ever read that book from a few years ago, "The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey" by Rinker Buck? I needed an audio book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. One of the rare books I listened to twice. Basically he hitches up a team and re-creates the Oregon Trail trip.

He's got a new book coming out in August where he floats down the Mississippi.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Currently reading the latest release in the Classroom of the Elite series. Most people probably won't know what that is, and that's fine.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
A little over halfway through Devil in the White City (liking it so far) and just bought part 2 of the Conquering Tide- Pacific War trilogy and Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant (just saw a social media post about the latter from the History Channel and it sounded worthwhile).
I’ve read Grant’s memoirs, puts you right in the middle of it. It’s a good read. Twain helped him get it published and appropriately compensated.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I recommend it, especially if you embrace '90s-related stuff -- it's a worthy addition to the mix.

Micro-review/overview:
  • It isn't a definitive overview of the decade, only a slice of it, and he tries to approach it by describing what it was like as it was happening, instead of retrospective analysis (even so, you can feel nostalgia if you were "there" and it's impossible to look back and completely ignore what happened since).
  • His definition of "the '90s" begins ca. "Nevermind" and ends w/ 9/11, not 1990-99 ... timeline fits with the themes he explores.
  • Although he has released numerous NF books since Sex-Drugs-CC, if you liked his writing style for that, it has remained consistent, so "readability" factor is likely to appeal to you.
Thank you!

Reactions: cyclones500

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm just getting into the Rachel Hatch series by L.T. Ryan and Brian Shea. It's billed as the female equivalent of Jack Reacher, although she's supposedly tougher. She's a loner like Reacher, ex-military like Reacher, a nomad like Reacher and finds a lot of trouble like Reacher. I like some aspects of the series, but the authors are very wordy, sometimes saying the same thing they said two pages before in long drawn out ruminations that do nothing to further the plot except fill pages. Too many words, not enough action in some instances, in other words.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just finished Upgrade by Blake Crouch. Looking for my next read. Black Mouth is compelling. Is it more horror, or more thriller? Do you like it?
It's kind of a mix of everything. If you've read IT by Stephen King that's the best thing I can compare it to and yes I am loving it.

I also just bought The Devil Takes You Home based on early word of mouth and reviews.

Here are a few others I read recently I HIGHLY recommend:

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
It's kind of a mix of everything. If you've read IT by Stephen King that's the best thing I can compare it to and yes I am loving it.

I also just bought The Devil Takes You Home based on early word of mouth and reviews.

Here are a few others I read recently I HIGHLY recommend:

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts. I will go through them and I suspect some of them will end up on my Want to Read list on goodreads :)

• Love
Reactions: dahliaclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Favorite I've read in the last year: (Sci-Fi, thriller-of sorts)
919XM42JQlL.jpg

Book I want to Read next: (Self- Help)
71w5CiGF7eL.jpg

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I finished 3 body recently. It really did meet the hype.! Have you started Dark Forest yet (part 2)? Any good?
Awesome, yeah I was a bit deterred about 5 chapters in when they were laying the astro-physics on heavy haha, but I came to really appreciate that aspect of it as it caused me to do more research outside of the book to get a better understanding on things I didn't fully comprehend. But the storyline is fascinating to me (and easy to follow along with without truly knowing the science portion of it) and one I think paints a very real picture of how humans would react if those events did happen.

I haven't started on Dark Forest yet, heard a bit of mixed reviews, and a busy summer caused me to hold off. I'm sure I'll jump back on the train when it gets less and less nice outside haha.