What are you reading?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I’m the exact opposite. Loved Devil in the white city but the others I don’t know are maybe too detailed? Never read Isaacs storm might try that.
I enjoyed Devil in the White City, but I think I liked Thunderstruck a little more.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I'm reading a novel highly recommended by Stephen King called Black Mouth by Ronald Malfi.

Haven't read this one yet, but it's on my WTR list. But I just finished Come with Me by Malfi. Solid 4 stars. I enjoyed his writing style so I'm going to read another one by Malfi next. Did you ever finish Black Mouth?

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
I picked up The Splendid and the Vile the other day. It’s on my pile of books I need to read next.
Incredibly well written and entertaining. Churchill was a maniac of the first order. I just finished Fredrick Douglas a Biography by Blight and started one on Tolkien.

Reactions: GMackey32

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Yeah, that must be my jam. I loved project hail Mary as well. I don't think I have ever read a space opera. What should I try first?
It isn't the first space opera that people would think about, but I would highly recommend David Brin's Uplift Saga:

Sundiver
Startide Rising
The Uplift War
Brightness Reef
Infinity's Shore
Heaven's Reach

Great stuff.

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
Just finished last week:
The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century.
Kirk Wallace Johnson.
Viking Random House LLC: New York. 2018.

My take: True story about a young man, musician, who is obsessed with fly tying the classic Salmon Flies. In the early 2000's becomes one of the best tiers in the world. Then goes and steals 299 historic birds from a museum in England and sells the feathers to other tiers for profit. Written by Kirk Wallace Johnson, who is a natural treasure.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It wasn’t this thread but there was some discussion on Joe Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy. Fantastic fantasy series with real humor and characters I absolutely adored. 3 book series that is already completed. I can’t recommend it enough.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pacific Crucible: War in the Pacific (volume 1), 1941-42. It's about the 10th book I've read on the subject, but it does add some new and interesting perspective, and it's well written.
On volume 3 now (with some fiction in between each). Does a good job of providing an overview of strategy and how it happened, while also providing context on the power struggles between various personalities and services involved.

Reactions: enisthemenace

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I am extremely late to the party it seems. I have never read anything by Stephen King. But, I just finished Pet Semetary and I loved it! It the best book I've read in the last few months.

Can someone give me any recommendations based on that? Maybe another one by King? Or, something else with similar vibes?

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
It wasn’t this thread but there was some discussion on Joe Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy. Fantastic fantasy series with real humor and characters I absolutely adored. 3 book series that is already completed. I can’t recommend it enough.
The follow-up trilogy, Age of Madness, is almost better in my opinion.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I am extremely late to the party it seems. I have never read anything by Stephen King. But, I just finished Pet Semetary and I loved it! It the best book I've read in the last few months.

Can someone give me any recommendations based on that? Maybe another one by King? Or, something else with similar vibes?

I've always liked the idea of Stephen King books. I sometimes can't bring myself to start. But I did just re-start The Stand, on audio book this time. I was very intrigued by the first couple hundred pages before. Hoping supplementing with the audiobook helps this time.

The Shining and "11/22/63" are others of his I really liked.

He also has a couple that are more a conglomeration of short stories, which can be a bit less intimidating to start.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA

I've always liked the idea of Stephen King books. I sometimes can't bring myself to start. But I did just re-start The Stand, on audio book this time. I was very intrigued by the first couple hundred pages before. Hoping supplementing with the audiobook helps this time.

He also has a couple that are more a conglomeration of short stories, which can be a bit less intimidating to start.
I haven't read a lot of King, but I listened to Pet Semetary and Michael C. Hall did a great job.

Maybe check out The Institute.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
The Invention of Nature- Alexander Von Humboldt’s New World

Famous, in his day, scientist and explorer. Namesake of Humboldt, IA and Humbolds around the world.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014

May want to check out Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game is a masterpiece

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Anyone ever read that book from a few years ago, "The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey" by Rinker Buck? I needed an audio book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. One of the rare books I listened to twice. Basically he hitches up a team and re-creates the Oregon Trail trip.

He's got a new book coming out in August where he floats down the Mississippi.
Yeah I enjoyed that one too. I just read his book about taking a flatboat down the Mississippi. Very engaging. Wish I could persuade my kids to do that with me. Sounds like a great family project. :)

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, I feel like I will have to attempt The Stand at some point. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: Ozclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Uhhh....'Salem's Lot is hands down his best and scariest novel. Go there. Now.

I've read basically every King novel so if you want any thoughts on any of them let me know.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Speaking of King and this thread in general...I follow him on Twitter and when he recommends a new novel I always buy it immediately. Sometimes I don't like his recommendations but more often than not, I do. He recently raved about The Deluge so just bought that.

I am in the middle of Chasing the Boogeyman, a true crime fiction novel and it's fantastic.

Just bought one called Everybody Knows. And another one that is getting raves is a thriller called Run on Red.

Next up will FINALLY start the Natchez Burning trilogy by Greg Iles.

• Informative
Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline