What are you reading?

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I joined the Brandon Sanderson kick starter. He released the first one Jan 1. Tress of the emerald sea. I'm 70% done with it, but enjoying it so far.

I'm trying to read 1 novel a month this year, so see how that goes.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah I enjoyed that one too. I just read his book about taking a flatboat down the Mississippi. Very engaging. Wish I could persuade my kids to do that with me. Sounds like a great family project. :)

I got my hands on a copy a couple months ago. I thought the Oregon Trail book was better, but I really enjoyed that one in audio form and I read this new book in physical book format, so it's not exactly apples-to-apples. I also thought the stretch of the book from when they actually hit the Mississippi to the completion of the trip felt rushed compared to the rest of the book. But it was good, and well worth reading.

Reactions: amishclone

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Currently reading the first book in the Shards of Earth series by Tchaikovsky. It’s more of a space opera than his Children of Time series (which is outstanding). I’m really liking it so far, about halfway through the first book.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I liked “ In the Garden of the Beasts”. Reading “Centerville A Mid-American Saga”. surprisingly good. Very well researched and written. Never thought I would read a 500 page book on Southeast Iowa.
Literally just looked this up and ordered it! Southern Iowa Homies unite!

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Finished "Guns, Germs, and Steel" this weekend. It's compared to "Sapiens" often but IMO they're quite different, and two completely different writing styles. GGS is a bit drier, more straight-forward, more detailed. Wish there was a more recent edition/update - published in 1998, I think.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I've always liked the idea of Stephen King books. I sometimes can't bring myself to start. But I did just re-start The Stand, on audio book this time. I was very intrigued by the first couple hundred pages before. Hoping supplementing with the audiobook helps this time.

The Shining and "11/22/63" are others of his I really liked.

He also has a couple that are more a conglomeration of short stories, which can be a bit less intimidating to start.
I read most of King’s books 5-10 years ago but finally got around to 11/22/63 this year. Great concept and story.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Reading the Invisible Library fantasy series, multi dimensional book thieves and dragons and steampunk.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I am extremely late to the party it seems. I have never read anything by Stephen King. But, I just finished Pet Semetary and I loved it! It the best book I've read in the last few months.

Can someone give me any recommendations based on that? Maybe another one by King? Or, something else with similar vibes?

My opinion on King is that he was a better terror writer when he was writing with a pile of coke next to the typewriter.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Malcolm Gladwell's "Talking to Strangers" which explores the reasons why human beings are so easily duped, using specific case studies, such as the story of Ana Montes, a Cuban spy who worked for the U.S. State Department for decades without anyone suspecting, and how Bernie Madoff was able to dupe so many people, all of whom should have known better.

Gladwell is a great writer, not at all stuffy or florid. He tells a great story, and it's all true...or is it?

Talking to Strangers.jpg

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
May want to check out Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game is a masterpiece
I think he also wrote The Lost Boys which is not science fiction. I loved that story. I need to get back to the Stephen King books I haven’t read - the most recent ones.
I also like the Ed McBain books - 87th precinct- and those by James Patterson.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
1673918683786.png

"Between 1898 and 1912, families across the country were bludgeoned in their sleep with the blunt side of an axe. Jewelry and valuables were left in plain sight, bodies were piled together, faces covered with cloth. Some of these cases, like the infamous Villasca, Iowa, murders, received national attention. But few people believed the crimes were related. And fewer still would realize that all of these families lived within walking distance to a train station.

When celebrated baseball statistician and true crime expert Bill James first learned about these horrors, he began to investigate others that might fit the same pattern. Applying the same know-how he brings to his legendary baseball analysis, he empirically determined which crimes were committed by the same person. Then after sifting through thousands of local newspapers, court transcripts, and public records, he and his daughter Rachel made an astonishing discovery: they learned the true identity of this monstrous criminal. In turn, they uncovered one of the deadliest serial killers in America.

Riveting and immersive, with writing as sharp as the cold side of an axe, The Man from the Train paints a vivid, psychologically perceptive portrait of America at the dawn of the twentieth century, when crime was regarded as a local problem, and opportunistic private detectives exploited a dysfunctional judicial system. James shows how these cultural factors enabled such an unspeakable series of crimes to occur, and his groundbreaking approach to true crime will convince skeptics, amaze aficionados, and change the way we view criminal history."

Reactions: amishclone

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
May want to check out Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game is a masterpiece
I really enjoyed Ender's Game. I'm currently reading the sequel, Speaker for the Dead. Kind of interesting that Speaker for the Dead was what he considered the "real" book, not Ender's Game which didn't start off as a novel.

Reactions: Angie

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
A little over halfway through Devil in the White City (liking it so far) and just bought part 2 of the Conquering Tide- Pacific War trilogy and Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant (just saw a social media post about the latter from the History Channel and it sounded worthwhile).
I enjoyed Grant’s memoirs. Twain helped him with the publishing end of things.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I grabbed a copy of Edmund Morris' Edison biography before we headed off to vacation but it got passed over for a couple mass market paperbacks I also picked up. (Latest Jack Reacher novel and one by Nelson DeMille.) Looking forward to getting started on it, Morris is a good biographer and his 3 books on Teddy Roosevelt were legendary in scope and detail.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I really enjoyed Ender's Game. I'm currently reading the sequel, Speaker for the Dead. Kind of interesting that Speaker for the Dead was what he considered the "real" book, not Ender's Game which didn't start off as a novel.
Yeah I would prefer Enders Game 3:1 over Speaker for the Dead. And I don't usually care for books with gimmicky plot twists. It's got something to do with the rollicking happy go lucky flavor of the thing I guess

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I am extremely late to the party it seems. I have never read anything by Stephen King. But, I just finished Pet Semetary and I loved it! It the best book I've read in the last few months.

Can someone give me any recommendations based on that? Maybe another one by King? Or, something else with similar vibes?
I've always liked the idea of Stephen King books. I sometimes can't bring myself to start. But I did just re-start The Stand, on audio book this time. I was very intrigued by the first couple hundred pages before. Hoping supplementing with the audiobook helps this time.

The Shining and "11/22/63" are others of his I really liked.

He also has a couple that are more a conglomeration of short stories, which can be a bit less intimidating to start.

I usually take a long time reading long books, but The Stand really is a good one to stick with. Others of his I like - The Green Mile, Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis. You probably want to try The Shining next.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Finally getting back to Jemisin’s Broken Earth series with The Stone Sky

I read the whole thing and I wanted to love it but I never really did. It was good enough to finish and I’ve seen it recommended many times but honestly it just didn’t do it for me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron