Pulling the plug on cable

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Also on Hulu you have to add a package of channels to get red zone channel. $10/month ($120/year). I can add it right now for $50 through mediacom. That kind of sucks, but not a deal breaker.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
We just switched to Fios and canceled cable, and trying to decide what streaming package(s) to get for ISU live football and MBB.

Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle is cheap and gets us ESPN but not Fox Sports or BTN. Those would require more expensive services that we would use outside of ISU sports.

Can anyone tell me how much ISU football and mbb we would likely miss out on this season by not having Fox Sports and BTN?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
We just switched to Fios and canceled cable, and trying to decide what streaming package(s) to get for ISU live football and MBB.

Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle is cheap and gets us ESPN but not Fox Sports or BTN. Those would require more expensive services that we would use outside of ISU sports.

Can anyone tell me how much ISU football and mbb we would likely miss out on this season by not having Fox Sports and BTN?
Curious about this too. Was getting ready to switch to Hulu as well, but now I’m not sure if they don’t have fox sports. Does Youtube have btn and fox sports?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Curious about this too. Was getting ready to switch to Hulu as well, but now I’m not sure if they don’t have fox sports. Does Youtube have btn and fox sports?
YTTV does have Big Ten Network and also FS1 and FS2. Also ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNews and ESPNU. I get all ISU games except for the ones not televised, which can be streamed through ESPN+ if I want to subscribe to it. Not sure what the cost is now, last year I think it was $5 a month for ESPN+.

EDIT: Looks like ESPN+ is $69.99 a year if you sign up by Tuesday the 23rd.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Football, you'll miss the Iowa game (BTN) and probably half the conference games (Fox/FS1).

The only MBB you'd miss is if the Iowa game gets put on BTN instead of an ESPN channel. The rest of the schedule should be one of the ESPNs or ESPN+.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Football, you'll miss the Iowa game (BTN) and probably half the conference games (Fox/FS1).

The only MBB you'd miss is if the Iowa game gets put on BTN instead of an ESPN channel. The rest of the schedule should be one of the ESPNs or ESPN+.
Thanks! I know lots of fb games were on Fox Sports the last few years but wasn’t sure if that was likely to continue this year. Will probably just get YTTV for football season and then cancel.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
What about Sunday Ticket? Can you get the Ticket on any streaming services (not counting the student option). This is what is keeping me from cutting the cord.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I JUST RE... signed up with YTTV and ESPN. I find it VERY complicated to GIVE them my money. When I cancelled 6 months ago, I kept copious notes about pw, user names, et al, but alas, I get the (dubious) error message , "something went wrong..." Lucky, I did save the 800 number.

$64.99 for YTTV ,,,,and $6.99 for ESPN+ until the 40% increase to $9.99/month in 3 days. A caveat. When you cancel the YTTV, you lose ALL "library" game history. PLUS you HAVE to an internet connection (for me, Spectrum, $89.99). We also have $6.99 for (wife) Hallmark movies. Plus, we have Netflix ~$12/mo. (I much prefer home movies vs theatre.)

I find this new tv watching customer experience to be overly complicated and ALWAYS, and CONTINUING geared toward pulling money from your pocket. “caveat emptor”.

AND, signing up means just that they are taking your money. DO NOT ASSUME that you will be able to open any program of your choice. Expect cryptic pw error messages that will aggravate your experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: mynameisjonas

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Sounds like youtube(unfortunately) is going to be the only option to catch all ISU games.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I just bought a firestick. I really don’t want to pay a +$120 monthly cable bill to support B1G network, SEC, ND, etc. I think the networks are what is causing the continuous realignments and revenue/talent inequality. I would even consider reverting back to radio broadcasts like in the 80-90s. Walters is very good. Anyway, how does CFB streaming work? I have heard you have to find a “pirate” feed . Is that the process? What network airs B12 games? Hopefully it is not ESPN. I live about 3 hours from ISU, so season tickets do not seem to be the right answer. Next year, I will be retired, so plenty of time to travel then.
I recommend just going the radio route. You’ll be surprised by how much you don’t mind it. You can work around the house or play with kids/grandkids while you listen. Plus you probably look at your phone more than you realize while you watch (if you’re like most people). Bonus - when you do watch the occasional game, that will feel like a little bigger deal and you’ll probably appreciate it/enjoy it more.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

YTTV does have Big Ten Network and also FS1 and FS2. Also ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNews and ESPNU. I get all ISU games except for the ones not televised, which can be streamed through ESPN+ if I want to subscribe to it. Not sure what the cost is now, last year I think it was $5 a month for ESPN+.

EDIT: Looks like ESPN+ is $69.99 a year if you sign up by Tuesday the 23rd.

I JUST RE... signed up with YTTV and ESPN. I find it VERY complicated to GIVE them my money. When I cancelled 6 months ago, I kept copious notes about pw, user names, et al, but alas, I get the (dubious) error message , "something went wrong..." Lucky, I did save the 800 number.

$64.99 for YTTV ,,,,and $6.99 for ESPN+ until the 40% increase to $9.99/month in 3 days. A caveat. When you cancel the YTTV, you lose ALL "library" game history. PLUS you HAVE to an internet connection (for me, Spectrum, $89.99). We also have $6.99 for (wife) Hallmark movies. Plus, we have Netflix ~$12/mo. (I much prefer home movies vs theatre.)

I find this new tv watching customer experience to be overly complicated and ALWAYS, and CONTINUING geared toward pulling money from your pocket. “caveat emptor”.

AND, signing up means just that they are taking your money. DO NOT ASSUME that you will be able to open any program of your choice. Expect cryptic pw error messages that will aggravate your experience.

YTTV is the same as Hulu+LIVE then you can get the bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ all for the same price as YTTV.

I dont think people understand there is the traditional Hulu for like 9.99 with limited content of on demand, then there is Hulu+LIVE that has basically everything cable has etc.

You get all locals, BTN, ESPN, FS1, etc

The below channels are all LIVE plus all have Unlimited cloud DVR and On demand.

1661039307057.png
1661039654550.png
1661040584032.png
1661039546651.png

In app screens of guide etc.

1661039814562.png

huluscreen.jpg

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
YTTV is the same as Hulu+LIVE then you can get the bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ all for the same price as YTTV.

I dont think people understand there is the traditional Hulu for like 9.99 with limited content of on demand, then there is Hulu+LIVE that has basically everything cable has etc.

The below channels are all LIVE plus all have Unlimited cloud DVR and On demand.

View attachment 101901
View attachment 101903
View attachment 101906
View attachment 101902

View attachment 101904

View attachment 101905
Nice. As long as Hulu has fs1 that is the way to go.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Those of you that have Apple TV and Hulu Live. Do you use the apple tv remote? Or is there a better remote that you can buy or download?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

View attachment 101901
View attachment 101903
View attachment 101906
View attachment 101902

View attachment 101904

View attachment 101905
A few things to add. With Hulu w/Live you do have to pay up if you want unlimited screens, which means you can have as many TVs in your house as you want all with the ability to air different Hulu w/Live channels. I think it's $10/month. But that's something you'll absolutely want to get if you have wife, kids, etc. who'll all want to watch different stuff at the same time.

Also, Hulu w/Live doesn't include AMC. When I was deciding between Hulu and YTTV, I chose Hulu because it had History Channel and YTTV didn't. YTTV has AMC and Hulu doesn't. Not really that close a choice for me because History is one of my top channels, but it does suck not having AMC, they play some really good movies.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Those of you that have Apple TV and Hulu Live. Do you use the apple tv remote? Or is there a better remote that you can buy or download?
We have Vizios and Hulu w/Live, we do have Apple TV streaming subscription, but we use the Vizio remote. Smartcast is the home page where you can click to whatever streaming service you want, including Apple.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
MLB needs to figure their **** out. It's so easy to find the games on the internet for free, so if they put up barriers, people will find ways.